Bring Back The Death Sentence For Spies And Traitors.

Axe

2 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

The last time MPs were given a vote to bring back the death penalty was in the 90s. I remember a relative who was a police sergeant in Northumberland lobbying his MP to vote to bring it back. MPs were given a vote of conscience on the death penalty, my relative’s MP voted against bringing it back, it was rejected by a big majority. 

This day and age I don’t think there will ever be another vote on the death penalty. Therefore spies and traitors will have to be locked up for life at the expense of the taxpayer.

They are not locked up for life.  Last week a spy selling secrets to the Russians was jailed for 13 years and told he will be freed in less than half of the 13 years. 

4 minutes ago, Axe said:

They are not locked up for life.  Last week a spy selling secrets to the Russians was jailed for 13 years and told he will be freed in less than half of the 13 years. 

I didn’t really expect them to be put in prison for life.  It’s a very rare thing given a  whole life term. 

Edited by hauxwell

1 minute ago, hauxwell said:

I didn’t really expect them to be put in prison for life.  It’s a very rare thing given whole life term.

That is a fair comment.  Serving about 6 years in prison does not seem to be a tough enough punishment for a British citizen employed by the British government who passed on secret information to the Russians and was paid for doing so in my opinion.

Guest makapaka

There’ll be someone for us doing the same over there and if they executed him there’d be a new thread with same folk saying how barbaric it is.

13 hours ago, altus said:

Let's say that the nearest available parking space is 50m from where someone wants to be and they can walk at 5km/h. That works out being paid about £100K per year before it becomes cheaper for them to pay a £100 parking fine than walk the 100m if they use the parking space.

They originally introduced wheel clamps because wealthy people viewed parking fines as the price you pay to park on the double yellow lines outside where they wanted to be.

Exaxtly!

Keep upping the penalties until it's cheaper not to break the Law!

Laws are supposed to be deterrents to law breakers!

Human nature.

Until they are you'll have law breakers. Simple logic!  :)

But on a more serious level, how much of your spiraling, unsustainable National Debt is spent on dealing with criminals, jails, social services, courts, judges, lawyers, police, vandalism.

Look at the money you spend on criminals, and imagine how much you could save, and direct it towards, the homeless, the Hospital Crisis, the NHS Crisis, and all your other Crises!

And you'd have a safer, more civilized country after some 2000 years of trying!

7 minutes ago, Prettytom said:

I see that you’ve suddenly got keen on the state controlling behaviour.

Are there any other “contradictions” in your personal philosophy?

????

I'm in favor of Law and Order!

Always was, always will be! No exceptions!

Even if I don't agree with the Laws on the books., I still follow them, until, through the democratic process, they are changed!  :)

59 minutes ago, trastrick said:

????

I'm in favor of Law and Order!

Always was, always will be! No exceptions!

Even if I don't agree with the Laws on the books., I still follow them, until, through the democratic process, they are changed!  :)

Democracy is good if you can afford it.

On 18/02/2023 at 15:03, Tipstaff said:

I'm with Albert Pierrepoint.  "The death penalty solves nothing."   History proves this.   Life imprisonment is a greater and much more effective punishment.

Average cost of keeping a prisoner for one year is near £55,000

A few meters of rope strong enough for the job is  less than a tenner and it'll apease the environmentalists as it's reusable.

On 18/02/2023 at 15:29, Tipstaff said:

Rehabilitation is part of the criminal justice system too and where this is not possible, lengthier sentences are considered.  There have been many past cases of condemned prisoners being found not guilty after they have been hanged.  Imagine being a close family member?  It must be terrible.

I fully understand murdered victim's families calling for the death penalty too, but as Britain's last executioner (Pierrepoint) had said, it solves nothing.

In 2020/2021 25.6% overall of prisoners released in that period went on to reoffend (24.7% adults, 34.4% junvenile) This to me is proof that rehabilitation doesn't always work

I am STRONGLY in favour of a death penalty with murderers, rapists and sex offenders getting immediate sentences. I also believe for other crimes which lead to custodial sentences that there should be a 3 strikes ruling.

This gives the opportunity for those 74ish % who don't reoffend not to end up swinging from the gallows