It's Hard To Be A White Man In Your 60s

1 hour ago, Axe said:

Sour grapes more like because he is no longer employed on the main channels.  Older women have suffered for decades after being replaced with younger models for television presenting work.

Someone better check Axe's account to see if he's been hacked, as he seems to have just posted something I agree with.

One thing I've noticed about getting older is how invisible you become.

I don't think it's a gender, or race thing. I think our society is so youth orientated, everyone is supposed to want to be young. I don't. I hated being young. Since I've become middle aged I've become so much more comfortable in myself.

I have to say though that Holmes isn't the first person to have noticed this. The media industry is notoriously youth obsessed. Julia Bradbury I think it was, was dismissed from her job (Countryfile presenter I think) because of her age. 

3 hours ago, melthebell said:

I'd go further, there is positive discrimination and/or additional protections in law (which are unnecessary in my view) for women, non whites, LGBTQAI-+  etc etc. 

Thus, by definition, white straight men are discriminated against. 

29 minutes ago, Mister M said:

One thing I've noticed about getting older is how invisible you become.

I don't think it's a gender, or race thing. I think our society is so youth orientated, everyone is supposed to want to be young. I don't. I hated being young. Since I've become middle aged I've become so much more comfortable in myself.

I have to say though that Holmes isn't the first person to have noticed this. The media industry is notoriously youth obsessed. Julia Bradbury I think it was, was dismissed from her job (Countryfile presenter I think) because of her age. 

The other side of the coin is that I think youth can be a disadvantage for a job.

My grandson fancied joining the police but I strongly recommended that he wait until he was in his mid twenties and had different life experiences and before considering  such a career.

Personally I have enjoyed all the different stages of life  and have passed the 3 score years and 10 expectation now !

3 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

The other side of the coin is that I think youth can be a disadvantage for a job.

My grandson fancied joining the police but I strongly recommended that he wait until he was in his mid twenties and had different life experiences and before considering  such a career.

Personally I have enjoyed all the different stages of life  and have passed the 3 score years and 10 expectation now !

Age and experience are definitely qualifications in themselves, especially for jobs where there is a great deal of interaction with the public - like social work, medicine / nursing and policing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Age and experience are definitely qualifications in themselves, especially for jobs where there is a great deal of interaction with the public - like social work, medicine / nursing and policing. 

We have evolved into a society where youngsters are going to university gaining a degree which qualifies them for positions in society and senior positions at an early age.

This works in some situations but as you point out a wide experience of different aspects of life and different social classes of people in just if not more necessary in some jobs.