It's Hard To Be A White Man In Your 60s

All television presenters have a sell by date. They can prolong this date by keeping fit and having a youthful persona. Eamonn Holmes did not help his longevity by doing a television advert for a circulation machine to help people with bad feet.  Kay Burley is of similar vintage to Eamonn Holmes but still has a high profile slot on Sky News. Kay Burley has helped herself by looking youthful, staying slim, dressing nicely and occasionally showing her shapely legs. Kay Burley has more common sense than to do a television advert for products aimed at the elderly. 

Edited by Axe

3 hours ago, harvey19 said:

We have evolved into a society where youngsters are going to university gaining a degree which qualifies them for positions in society and senior positions at an early age.

This works in some situations but as you point out a wide experience of different aspects of life and different social classes of people in just if not more necessary in some jobs.

This is most definitely true.  A degree is not all it's cracked up to be but often gives the holder a sense of entitlement which is not necessarily justified or matched by performance. Some people do better learning on the job, and become much more rounded and effective workers. The 'University of life' is very much undervalued.  And as we learned during the pandemic all jobs are necessary and  important.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Anna B said:

This is most definitely true.  A degree is not all it's cracked up to be but often gives the holder a sense of entitlement which is not necessarily justified or matched by performance. Some people do better learning on the job, and become much more rounded and effective workers. The 'University of life' is very much undervalued.  And as we learned during the pandemic all jobs are necessary and  important.

Indeed, however in certain professions, you need a 1st or 2nd class honours Degree, and preferably letters after your name before a lot of companies will even give you a second glance.

Too much emphasis is placed on educational acumen these days IMO.

For instance, there's some youngsters in their mid to late 20s fresh out of College with loads of qualifications, yet they're still daft as a brush!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Well said, Anna. 👍

16 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Excellent post.

8 minutes ago, melthebell said:

Seems like hes trotting out the usual right wing excuses to appeal to his newer viewership on GB news.

Eamonn Holmes?

Right wing? Really? I'm not sure he's right wing but then I've not seen him on TV for a considerable time.

I'll just clarify. I know you didn't use the words 'Eamonn Holmes is right wing' but that's what you are saying right?

Edited by The_DADDY

8 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

Eamonn Holmes?

Right wing? Really? I'm not sure he's right wing but then I've not seen him on TV for a considerable time.

I'll just clarify. I know you didn't use the words 'Eamonn Holmes is right wing' but that's what you are saying right?

He certainly comes across as a whinger these days, hes trotting out the usual woe is me cos im white ****e and hes on a right wing tv channel, make your own mind up

3 minutes ago, melthebell said:

He certainly comes across as a whinger these days, hes trotting out the usual woe is me cos im white ****e and hes on a right wing tv channel, make your own mind up

Why is GBnews right wing ?

They have many left wing guests on to give their opinions.