It's Hard To Be A White Man In Your 60s

1 hour ago, Axe said:

Both semi retired.

But that's through their own choice though isn;t it ? I mean if they had wanted to keep going, I reckon they would have been "kept on" ?

8 hours ago, Anna B said:

I'm not sure Covid compliance or otherwise has much to do with being right or left wingers. As with Brexitit, it seems to me to be pretty cross party. The only politics involved was Boris Johnson's handling of it,  -and his words and actions contradicted themselves all the time so even he couldn't make up his mind..

I don't really agree with that. I found that attitudes to the suppression of society v personal freedom were very much along left / right lines (although, just like OneWheelDave, prior to the pandemic I had never voted Tory before, so it changed me politically). Obviously China was the extreme example, which everyone else followed like sheep.

Edited by Chekhov

11 hours ago, harvey19 said:

I saw the link but did not read it as I would rather make my own  views.

What you mean is you'd rather wallow in your own bias'

11 hours ago, onewheeldave said:

I used to be quite averse to right wingers. But watching GB news during the insanity of the global covid over reaction did wonders for my mental health- was very good to be aware that there were people out there who could see that what the authorities were doing was not right.

Disturbingly, all the left wingers seemed to offer was total compliance.

Personally I don't much care about left wing vs right wing- there are clearly highly intelligent and moral people on both sides [and vice versa].

Prior to covid I never would have supported a Tory govt, but, I sure am glad left wingers weren't in charge during covid.

It's not about compliance it's about caring for others, something you, and the right don't care about

Lack of empathy

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, harvey19 said:

Why is GBnews right wing ?

They have many left wing guests on to give their opinions.

and the presenters? who get to frame the context, ask the questions, and move on the discussion before it gets anywhere close to a meaningful exploration of the subject?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, melthebell said:

No I do not.

Do you believe everything you read in the  papers or hear on GBnews ?

58 minutes ago, ads36 said:

and the presenters? who get to frame the context, ask the questions, and move on the discussion before it gets anywhere close to a meaningful exploration of the subject?

Is this from your experience of listening to the channel or a generalised opinion ?

11 hours ago, Anna B said:

I'm not sure Covid compliance or otherwise has much to do with being right or left wingers. As with Brexitit, it seems to me to be pretty cross party. The only politics involved was Boris Johnson's handling of it,  -and his words and actions contradicted themselves all the time so even he couldn't make up his mind..

Prior to covid I would also have thought that right/left wing shouldn't have made much difference when it came to a pandemic and the associated compliance decisions.

It perplexed me greatly why, whenever I found a source of info that seemed sane to me, that it was inevitably a source that was either right wing, or labelled as such.

I honestly can't think of a single left wing source that challenged the measures, objected to the lockdowns- in fact the majority of left wing sources only called out for yet more measures, more restrictions, more censorship, etc. 

In hindsight, I can now see why the left are like that- watching the increasing woke hysteria with all the attendant demands for restrictions, and, especially censorship, also makes things a bit clearer.

It's not about compliance it's about caring for others, something you, and the right don't care about

Lack of empathy

It was about compliance, and, any caring, was for a select group of the population, and damn the rest to hell. That is not 'caring'.

Children died of cancer unable to see their parents. Buisnesses and lives ruined. As predicted by some, the NHS now further crippled by the fall out of the lockdowns in terms of horrific waiting lists..... and plenty more which I'll not mention as I don't want to take this thread off topic.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, melthebell said:

Lack of empathy

Lack of empathy or just not naive and suffer fools gladly?

It's easy peasy to pretend you care.

• Haha 1