We Are Entering A New Puritanical Age (But Without The Religion)

38 minutes ago, XPertByExperien said:

Indeed, the care sector in general's been in recruitment turmoil since forever, mainly because no qualfied carer wants to work LONG hours for pennies more than minimum wage, so the care companies will literally employ anyone that can pass a basic DBS disclosure, especially if they have a car and Business insurance to use said vehicle in a professional capacity, however most don't have Business insurance or even a car but they get the job anyway because as mentioned, the care companies are so short staffed they'll employ anyone with a pulse that can pass a basic DBS disclosure.

Yes, this is true. And the one's they employ often do not have the right attitude/approach to do the job and thankfully don't stay long.

Sad to say they bring down the profile of the 'humble care assistant' who do one of the most important and difficult jobs in society. 

Done well, these people make all the difference to the lives of their clients, so getting the right people is paramount, but of course when it's all about profit and cutting corners to get the profit, anybody will do. 

The government needs to step in, and take the job back in house and incorporate it into the NHS. with all the due recognition for what they do, decent renumeration, and a clear career structure, just like it used to be with the SRN and SEN nurses back in the day. 

Of course that isn't going to happen under this government. It's going down the pan along with everything else this government touches.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Anna B said:

But IMO the standard of parenting has gone down with the pressure of both in full time work just to put bread on the table.

And trying to get kids off their phones and computers is a job in itself.

I would say to all new parents - It's no good expecting teens to start listening to you, unless they know they will be heard too, and respected as much as you expect them to listen and respect you, and that process starts in infancy.  With Family time,  being a good role model, setting good examples, fair rules and discipline, and of course love, you can achieve an awful lot, but it's a full time job and it's difficult. So start young. Give them as much of your time as you can, talk about things, and introduce them to the world.  

That's all very well but of limited use to what we are discussing here.

I do not believe for an instant the lad in the story "had no respect for women", much less that he is some sort of potential rapist. It was far more likely he was having difficulty navigating the tricky course with a girl, although it seems he'd got over the biggest hurdle, the first kiss, as they were, apparently, smooching. How the hell is he supposed to know that :

Kissing - Fine

Snogging - Fine

Hand on boob - Sexual assault, call the coppers !

It's absolute BS.

From my own distant memories getting amorous with a girl is difficult enough, and requires much nerve, without the threat some "Me Too martyr" is going to start claiming sexual assault. Hence the upset reading that story gave me. TBH I was thinking about how my lad is going to have to negotiate this at some time in the future and feeling a bit depressed about our pathetic modern society.

Edited by Chekhov

9 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

That's all very well but of limited use to what we are discussing here.

I do not believe for an instant the lad in the story "had no respect for women", much less that he is some sort of potential rapist. It was far more likely he was having difficulty navigating the tricky course with a girl, although it seems he'd got over the biggest hurdle, the first kiss, as they were, apparently, smooching. How the hell is he supposed to know that :

Kissing - Fine

Snogging - Fine

Hand on boob - Sexual assault !

It's absolute BS.

From my own distant memories getting amorous with a girl is difficult enough, and requires much nerve, without the threat some "Me Too martyr" is going to start claiming sexual assault. Hence the upset reading that story gave me. TBH I was thinking about how my lad is going to have to negotiate this at some time in the future and feeling a bit depressed about our pathetic modern society.

Learning and earning Respect is never a waste of time. But I agree it must be a nightmare for kids these days especially those with less confidence. I also deplore the 'swipe right /left' culture which seems a big part of life these days.

Maybe part of the answer is to encourage more mixed social groups in schools (and outside it) where they can begin to appreciate the opposite sex and like them as people, not sex objects, then let nature take its course.

Edited by Anna B

6 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Learning and earning Respect is never a waste of time. But I agree it must be a nightmare for kids these days especially those with less confidence. I also deplore the 'swipe right /left' culture which seems a big part of life these days.

Maybe part of the answer is to encourage more mixed social groups in schools (and outside it) where they can begin to appreciate the opposite sex and like them as people, not sex objects, then let nature take its course.

Unfortunately I doubt that'll ever happen, as the second the bell rings for "Home time" at 3 PM the teachers down tools and go 'ome as well.

17 minutes ago, XPertByExperien said:

Unfortunately I doubt that'll ever happen, as the second the bell rings for "Home time" at 3 PM the teachers down tools and go 'ome as well.

Mmmm strange that my Son was rarely  home before 5:30  then 🙄

Edited by nikki-red

2 hours ago, Norbert said:

If you're old enough to be drinking, you're old enough to know not to uninvitedly grope women, or should be.

It’s a bit of a new low, even for this particular poster. Campaigning for the right to sexually abuse people isn’t really  a good look.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Chekhov said:

We truly are entering a new puritanical age, but without the religion obviously.

I read an article the other day that really upset me, not for me but for my lad who has to grow up and make his way with the girls in this paranoid world we now live in.

It was one of these cases where a lad had been at a party and got into a drunken snog with a girl (consensual AFAIK) then when he tried putting his hand on her boob she, wanting to be a Me Too martyr, then flipped her lid and went off on one about sexual assault. I suspect very strongly that any upset she felt was because she has been conditioned to think she should be upset...... Anyway, apparently he got suspended from school (though what has it even got to do with the school anyway ? ) and they even tried bringing the police in though, fortunately, I don't think it went anywhere 

For Gawd's sake ! ! ! I am on record as predicting that sooner or later we will all have to sign consent forms for congress but the way it's going we'll even have to get one signed for a  drunken smoochy grope. Except, ironically, the form won't be valid anyway unless both participants have taken blood alcohol level tests ! So, nothing physical unless sober, that should result in a lower birth rate if nothing else.

I also predict that almost everyone will get together via websites for people after a partner because asking out a friend or work colleague is just getting too complicated and with too many opportunities for breakdowns in communication, with, it seems, potentially serious consequences.

What sort of society are we becoming ? 

This is a new low for you and you should thoroughly be ashamed of yourself. 

Hopefully your lad will have more sense about him and understand that groping isn't acceptable and never has been. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Anna B said:

The fact it is now apparently expected men and women can be just friends (as easily as men and men) may actually make it more difficult for blokes.

"When I were a lad" if a man asked a woman out for a drink certain things were understood by an acceptance. She was not necessarily saying "I'm up for it", but it was implied she did at least fancy you a bit and if you got on then perhaps it could go further. Now there is far more room for misunderstandings and, quite frankly, severe embarrassment. And that's before one gets to the odd few "Me Too martyrs" (the subject of this thread) wanting to make a point "for the good of all womenkind", or whatever cobblers swirls around in their brains.

Edited by Chekhov