Sheffield Council Could Be Suing Moor Owners

On 20/02/2023 at 17:53, bassett one said:

the council is deciding whether to take on the legal rights of the moor outdoor market owners ,i think they are being treated awfull,i think the owners should give them new stalls and leave them in situ ,what do others think?

I assume this is because the owners are trying to change the operating days of the market stalls? I spoke to the owner of the jacket potato stall last week about it.

I guess SCC still has the freehold for the site so can enforce the 'market charter'. Unless someone enforces this, the owners (New River?), can basically do what the heck they want to. 

If the Council don't do this, then this would be detrimental to the market, and the viability of the Moor as a whole. 

7 minutes ago, S35_2o21 said:

I assume this is because the owners are trying to change the operating days of the market stalls? I spoke to the owner of the jacket potato stall last week about it.

Is he still breaking the law by charging more for people paying by card, or has he quietly now dropped that?

14 minutes ago, S35_2o21 said:

I guess SCC still has the freehold for the site so can enforce the 'market charter'. Unless someone enforces this, the owners (New River?), can basically do what the heck they want to. 

If the Council don't do this, then this would be detrimental to the market, and the viability of the Moor as a whole. 

Like I said last week, back in the mid 90s I worked at the Oxfam on King St, when the old Castle Markets were closed on a Thursday, that end of Town was pretty much dead, as was the Charity shop.

34 minutes ago, XPertByExperien said:

Like I said last week, back in the mid 90s I worked at the Oxfam on King St, when the old Castle Markets were closed on a Thursday, that end of Town was pretty much dead, as was the Charity shop.

The Moor is quite vibrant now, certainly with the redeveloped section. A lot of the shops have moved from Fargate (Next etc).

The Debenhams unit is huge, not sure who will take that on. The end by MF looks as grim as ever though. 

I think the outdoor market is a reason for people to visit. Hopefully the Council do take this action to protect this part of the city centre. 

On 20/02/2023 at 17:53, bassett one said:

the council is deciding whether to take on the legal rights of the moor outdoor market owners ,i think they are being treated awfull,i think the owners should give them new stalls and leave them in situ ,what do others think?

My understanding is that Sheffield Council hold the rights for any markets within something like a 10 Km radius, so in this case they are enforcing that right. Concessions to other markets in the area are simply concessions, not rights.

At the recent Heritage Fair in the Millennium Galleries, any stall wishing to sell items had to have a temporary market licence in order to operate.