Sheffield Council Could Be Suing Moor Owners

1 hour ago, Planner1 said:

All councils have the same problems, that’s the reason there is nationally a £12 billion backlog of road repairs needed. The reason for it is systematic underfunding by government.

This isn’t “lame brained excuses” it’s the reason these problems exist and don’t go away. The reason is money. The government don’t provide enough of it to carry out the functions you would like to see.

Sheffield had problems years ago when a Labour government was in charge.  Did Labour keep Sheffield short of money too..

Why had our roads and pavements been in such a state 50 years ago.

The money problems Sheffield has had have mainly been through wasteful spending up until 10 years ago and only after that can you blame the government.

8 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

And people will be saying the same about any council in the land.

There are so many opinions on spending priorities and the functions councils carry out are so wide and diverse that it’s pretty much a certainty that everyone can find some element they disagree with.

Most of us disagree with EVERY element.  That speaks for itself.

The tree chopping saga must have cost a few bob and don't say the council didn't know that the public were clearly against that.

Just one illustation of how they can pay for things that they want.

13 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

And people will be saying the same about any council in the land.

There are so many opinions on spending priorities and the functions councils carry out are so wide and diverse that it’s pretty much a certainty that everyone can find some element they disagree with.

Yet MORE excuses.

People on here must wonder why SCC ever let you go... :hihi:

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Mr Bloke said:

Yet MORE excuses.

People on here must wonder why SCC ever let you go... :hihi:

Yet more drivel.

Strangely enough, that’s what the Cabinet Member said when I left. “ Who am I going  to go to now? You’re one of the few people I can ask who gets things done” 

47 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Sheffield had problems years ago when a Labour government was in charge.  Did Labour keep Sheffield short of money too..

Yes. Governments of all persuasions have under funded local government for decades. It’s been said in the media plenty of times over the years.

49 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Most of us disagree with EVERY element.  That speaks for itself.

Really. So you disagree with absolutely everything the Council does?

Social care? Education? Road Maintenance? Everything?

So have you done a poll of everyone in Sheffield as you’re claiming “most of us”?

Or does that just apply to a handful of the usual suspects on here?

28 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Yet more drivel.

Strangely enough, that’s what the Cabinet Member said when I left. “ Who am I going  to go to now? You’re one of the few people I can ask who gets things done” 

Yes. Governments of all persuasions have under funded local government for decades. It’s been said in the media plenty of times over the years.

My my, you can blow the trumpet for yourself and the council can't you?   I don't know why the city is proof of abject failure then.

How did cities like Leeds and Manchester manage to do so much better than Sheffield under all these governments..

I haven't seen that in the media.  I've only heard you say it as an apologist for the council.

28 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Really. So you disagree with absolutely everything the Council does?

Social care? Education? Road Maintenance? Everything?

So have you done a poll of everyone in Sheffield as you’re claiming “most of us”?

Or does that just apply to a handful of the usual suspects on here?

Suspects?

What are we suspected of?

As far as I can recall, we are only guilty of pointing out the many failures perpetrated by the council with your help.

You certainly got things done alright and you could safely say "It's finished"

2 hours ago, Planner1 said:

All councils have the same problems, that’s the reason there is nationally a £12 billion backlog of road repairs needed. The reason for it is systematic underfunding by government.

This isn’t “lame brained excuses” it’s the reason these problems exist and don’t go away. The reason is money. The government don’t provide enough of it to carry out the functions you would like to see.

They provide enough to pay wages to jobs for the boys .

45 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Yet more drivel.

If some one else blows your trumpet the noise will be heard miles away .

20 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

How did cities like Leeds and Manchester manage to do so much better than Sheffield under all these governments..

Because they are bigger than Sheffield. Much of the funding comes on a roughly per capita basis at city region level. So they usually have more and bigger schemes than here. Leeds still hasn’t got a tram though…..

17 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

They provide enough to pay wages to jobs for the boys .

No such thing that I’ve come across in 40 years working in local government.

16 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Because they are bigger than Sheffield. Much of the funding comes on a roughly per capita basis at city region level. So they usually have more and bigger schemes than here. Leeds still hasn’t got a tram though…..

No such thing that I’ve come across in 40 years working in local government.

I have seen it happen  more than once