Whats Happening In Guardian Land Today

On 17/01/2024 at 07:30, Al Bundy said:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/jan/16/the-moustache-ceiling-why-famous-men-are-kissing-at-awards-ceremonies

The Guardian are telling us to enjoy this.

"Producer and actor Matty Matheson’s freestyling acceptance speech for best comedy was interrupted mid-flow, trophy dangling in hand, when Ebon “Cousin” Moss-Bachrach grabbed his face and kissed him messily, passionately, for a long, long time – like he was saying goodbye to his sweetheart before going off to fight in a war." 

I am confused.  So it's something to celebrate when a man kisses another man without consent, but when the Spanish bloke kissed that Spanish lass it was complete outrage?

Is this the biggest piece of gonkery and hypocrisy ever from the luvvies yet?

They haven't got a clue have they.

🤪🤪🤪

Only just seen this.  It is hypocritical, I agree, as do some of the commenters on that piece, which is unusual for Guardian commenters.

And has that piece had a change of subtitle, I wonder?  The URL refers to the 'moustache ceiling' while that phrase is absent from the heading text it refers to (though not the article itself).  Perhaps someone pointed out the unfortunate 'cotton ceiling' connotations in this context and suggested that it was made rather less prominent.

Edited by Guest

15 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/feb/20/stanley-cups-feminism-white-women

This is the most Guardian article ever!

😂

How do these people manage to get through the day, have they nothing else to worry about?

I think Arwa would have a different take on women like Julie Bindel, Helen Joyce, JK Rowling et al who are really 'putting the fangs back into feminism' by actually standing up for women.  I suspect her take on when exactly the term 'girl' is infantilizing might vary according to context too.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, alchresearch said:

"Remember - we have to be inclusive these days - not all women have ovaries....."

‘I’m as baffled as the next ovary-owner’: navigating the science of treating menopause

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2024/apr/01/perimenopause-symptoms-what-are-they-how-to-treat

I've read that about 5 times and still can't really work out what she is getting at.

I find it odd that when men suffer a mid life crisis, usually resulting in buying a sports car, getting a new hair style, difference clothes or younger girlfriend they get mocked about it or accused of having " small todger syndrome" especially when a sports car is involved.......yet when women are suffering their mid life crisis ( menopause) its all sympathy,  how can we help them, etc.

It seems a really good excuse for being incredibly mean of you ask me, I know because I am on the receiving end of it these days.

2 hours ago, alchresearch said:

"Remember - we have to be inclusive these days - not all women have ovaries....."

‘I’m as baffled as the next ovary-owner’: navigating the science of treating menopause

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2024/apr/01/perimenopause-symptoms-what-are-they-how-to-treat

I like the fact the journo says it isn't a natural biological problem... but the health professional does!

It's horrendous for some women... but it is a part of nature.

• 4 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, Mister Gee said:

I think the Guardian's just reporting the investigation by Greenpeace, but the content whilst shocking, certainly isn't surprising when you consider some of the other stuff
Susan Hall 'pay-per-mile' social media image slammed by Labour as 'fake news'
The Tories also claimed in a recent party political broadcast that Sadiq Khan has ‘secret plans to impose new charges for every single mile you drive’.

Conservative Campaign Takes Surreal Turn as Party Appears to Ditch its own Colour, Logo and Name in ‘Fake Newspapers’
Red leaflets posing as newspapers have been landing on doorsteps ahead of the local elections – but there’s little mention of the party behind them

Before the current batch, my own MP
Derbyshire MP Robert Largan accused of 'fake' newspaper con

It's fair to say that the person with the real legal rights to the High Peak Reporter name wasn't impressed. 🙂

Same chap, dodgy data harvesting
Hassle in High Peak: Robert Largan’s solar farm shenanigans
Why did Conservative MP for High Peak, Robert Largan, campaign against a proposal for a solar farm that had already been withdrawn?

He's subsequently found by the ICO  notto have complied with his obligations under data protection law.

• 3 months later...
28 minutes ago, Prettytom said:

Thought I’d resurrect this thread to cheer Al up on a dreary bank holiday Saturday.

Al. They’ve been listening to you😁

https://www.theguardian.com/society/article/2024/aug/24/english-councils-call-for-national-mens-health-strategy

They all come around eventually to listening to the voice of reason.

Surprised the Guardian has taken an interest to be honest. I am guessing they have covered all the Ugandan under 15 girls football reports.

😉

4 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

They all come around eventually to listening to the voice of reason.

Surprised the Guardian has taken an interest to be honest. I am guessing they have covered all the Ugandan under 15 girls football reports.

😉

Let’s not speak of football, eh.