Whats Happening In Guardian Land Today

Just had a thought . Years ago when the mods on here were slightly strict 😀 . I got a message from someone inviting me to join another forum , I had a look at it and was shocked . All it was , was people arguing and effing and blinding at each other and arranging to meet up for a scrap .  Bit too much for a shy Lad like me 😀

2 minutes ago, Mr Bloke said:

I can't remember...
... but that video was posted 10 years ago!

Well YOU started it! :hihi:

I know,

I'll end it.

Get thi sen off to "Padders Bar" A free Sambuca Cocktail awaits as an apology.

Call it the "Escape Room"

• Thanks 1

Just now, hackey lad said:

Just had a thought . Years ago when the mods on here were slightly strict 😀 . I got a message from someone inviting me to join another forum , I had a look at it and was shocked . All it was , was people arguing and effing and blinding at each other and arranging to meet up for a scrap .  Bit too much for a shy Lad like me 😀

That would be Sheffield Talk.

Mostly swearing, spam and Ladas.

5 minutes ago, Prettytom said:

That would be Sheffield Talk.

Mostly swearing, spam and Ladas.

I wasn't sure if it was Sheffield Talk, or another local forum - but when I referenced it on here a long time ago it was asterisked out like  I'd sworn! 

Did anyone experience that?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/jul/15/barbie-hollywood-film-role-model-girls-greta-gerwig

Some mental gymnastics going on there!

I like this paragraph..

"But in her own little way, Barbie tells us something about the bigger impasse in which women still find ourselves. The plethora of new, aspirational Barbies, who combine cool jobs with gleaming smiles and shiny hair, serve to remind us just how hard it still is even for successful and experienced women to be valued if they don’t also show doll-like qualities – prettiness, neat wardrobe, perfect shape, youthful faces. In a world in which women are told they can be anything, too often they still have to be dolls as well."

I just knew it would be someone else's fault that women spend around 350 billion a year on making themselves look prettier and spend 70 billion on surgery to look better and more attractive, 

I've yet to meet a bloke yet who thinks these women who have liposuction look better, so why do they do it?  

Another peach.....

"I’ve had with younger readers, who are telling me forcefully that not only do they recognise the problems I mapped out 13 years ago, but they feel that things have only got worse for women and girls. If we still believe girls deserve a freer and more equal world, we need to stop looking to dolls to lead the way forward."

Well maybe women should start turning off shows like the Kardashians that create this crazy notion that women should look a certain way and then maybe girls wouldn't be so competitive with each other.

Just a thought.

Edited by Al Bundy

On 14/07/2023 at 22:18, Mister M said:

I wasn't sure if it was Sheffield Talk, or another local forum - but when I referenced it on here a long time ago it was asterisked out like  I'd sworn! 

Did anyone experience that?

I certainly remember seeing it.  Interesting times.  Though that was likely just not wanting to advertise the competition than anything more nefarious.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/jul/16/protests-and-pimms-wimbledon-winds-up-after-fortnight-of-on-and-off-court-drama

So to summarise for everyone but the Guardian..

It's been a roaring success apart from some silly protesters who everyone just laughs at, folk have had a great time, witnessed some fantastic tennis and another superb British event has gone off spectacularly.

That must make them absolutely livid.

👍

Edited by Al Bundy
  • Like 1