Whats Happening In Guardian Land Today

8 minutes ago, Magilla said:

What would be the point, every answer would be the same, regardless of the question. :hihi:

Well, highlighting that a 4 year old is, self evidently, more switch on than yourself... is quite funny. 🤣

Switched.

👍

Oh hang on, nearly forgot.

🤣

Edited by Al Bundy

2 hours ago, Al Bundy said:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/aug/19/my-four-year-old-daughter-is-asking-questions-about-colonial-history-how-do-i-respond-in-an-age-appropriate-way

Brilliant.

And folk believe this nonsense!! 

Wouldn't they be just be better off doing yet another article on how racist and bad they think white people are including Captain Cook, rather than pretending a four year old wants to know?

🤪🤪🤪🤪

I wish they would have a Ask Al column.

My response would have been.

ASK AL.: Wow your daughter sounds like fun. It must be a right laugh sat around the dinner table talking about colonialism. Have you brought up the subject of gonorrhea with her? Just to lighten the mood. As for you, you understandably feel terrible about the atrocities of Captain Cook, especially as you and your  husband are benefiting because of them. You should give your house and all your possessions to the aboriginal people. I'm sure this will make you feel much better. As far as your daughter is concerned I would recommend talking about toys and cartoons you silly woman.

These emojis especially for Magilla.

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

The past is the past, as my mother used to say "It is all water under the bridge "

Some people appear to want to criticise our country's past without criticising the past behaviour of other countries.

Looking to the future is what needs to be done and improve present and future lives without trying to cause divisions because of the past which can not be altered.

2 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

Looking to the future is what needs to be done and improve present and future lives without trying to cause divisions because of the past which can not be altered.

How do you understand the past, and hope to avoid mistakes made, without understanding or knowing what happened?

Edited by Magilla

35 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

The past is the past, as my mother used to say "It is all water under the bridge "

Some people appear to want to criticise our country's past without criticising the past behaviour of other countries.

No chance of that. :)

Some people glom on to every individual or societal human failure and will never let you forget it! 

The Media flagellates society over some historical transgression, like a nagging spouse who, in any unrelated disagreement, brings up "that time when you........(fill in the gap!)

They cling to the memory like a salivating dog with an old bone and will never give it up.

These negative nattering nabobs of negativity are vexations to the spirit, and best avoided.

Most sensible folks do just that!  :)

Columbus day gets a bad rap in the pearl clutching West, but is celebrated in the lands he "conquered".

The Guardian

Activists target removal of statues including Columbus and ...

"Across Belgium the Black Lives Matter protests have reignited the campaign to remove statues of Leopold II, whose brutal and rapacious rule ......"

On the  other hand:

HIST News

"Today, October 12, as we celebrate Columbus Day (also known in other countries as Día de la Raza, Día de las Américas, or Día de la Hispanidad) to commemorate the arrival of Christopher Columbus in the “New World,” the Americas, it is fitting to highlight the country where it all started: the Dominican Republic. 

The Dominican Republic is the second-largest country in the Caribbean and houses the oldest colonial city in America, Santo Domingo, which was founded in 1496 and serves as its capital city. Santo Domingo is also the place where the first Catholic cathedral, the first university, and the first hospital in the Americas were built."

Edited by trastrick