Whats Happening In Guardian Land Today

50 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Snipped 

They are indeed far right and,  if they don't like the  "buzz word"  label,  they could easily use the recognised methods instead.

Unless you've spoken to them and asked you have no way of knowing that.

Have you asked them?

47 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Who said   "All"   looters, rioters and arsonists ?       Oh, just you I see.

I was referring naturally,  to the mob we were discussing.

I wish you wouldn't demonstrate publicly,  how challenged you are.

Weren't the Nazi's 'Looters, rioters and arsonists'? And that was on their quiet days.

Edited by St Petre
add

1 hour ago, Al Bundy said:

So all looters, rioters and arsonists are far right.

Crikey, you learn something every day.

It was the news that claimed the rioters were far right. 

I don't think 'far right /far left' labels are helpful or even apply these days.

The world is such a mixed up place right now that we find ourselves in the company of strange bedfellows.

What seems clear to me is that a lot of people are angry, with no way to express it and no way to change it. They have lost all faith in politicians to represent them. And change is what they desperately want.

I fear we are going to see a lot more of this in the years to come. 

Edited by Anna B
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Anna B said:

It was on the news that claimed the rioters were far right. 

I don't think 'far right /far left' labels are helpful or even apply these days.

The world is such a mixed up place right now that we find ourselves in the company of strange bedfellows.

What seems clear to me is that a lot of people are angry, with no way to express it and no way to change it. They have lost all faith in politicians to represent them. And change is what they desperately want.

I fear we are going to see a lot more of this in the years to come. 

The media, whichever side they lean to always have to 'label' groups  to serve their own ends.

The rest of the post has all been heard before.

19 minutes ago, St Petre said:

Weren't the Nazi's 'Looters, rioters and arsonists'? And that was on their quiet days.

That's true yes.

My point was,   to be totally correct,  that you can get looters, rioters and arsonist   WHO ARE NOT far right too.

14 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

The media, whichever side they lean to always have to 'label' groups  to serve their own ends.

The rest of the post has all been heard before.

it's easier to use labels for a quick way of distinguishing groups of people as it conjures up a quick mental image.

I don't see how it serves the media's own ends because they get nothing extra out of it.

We all know what a far right mob is without further explanation as also in lynch mob and other similar descriptions.

Just tells us near enough without going into tiresome details.

3 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

it's easier to use labels for a quick way of distinguishing groups of people as it conjures up a quick mental image.

I don't see how it serves the media's own ends because they get nothing extra out of it.

We all know what a far right mob is without further explanation as also in lynch mob and other similar descriptions.

Just tells us near enough without going into tiresome details.

By the same token, we all know what a 'far left' mob is, too.

2 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

By the same token, we all know what a 'far left' mob is, too.

Indeed we do,  which shows how useful labels can be.

I didn't include that,  because we don't tend to see many "far left mobs" who are rioting,  looting and burning.

Edited by Organgrinder