Dan Walker Hit By Car On Sheffield Roundabout

Findlay

7 minutes ago, Cody's Granddad said:

For what I saw Dan was in the correct lane if was going to exit on Moore Street and the car veered into his path, there is no argument there, it's clear the driver was at fault.

I don’t think anyone can dispute that the car driver was at fault, but Dan could have done lots to drastically reduce the chance of that happening, but didn’t.

Cycling around that roundabout is madness, cycling a route that puts you in the centre lane of that roundabout is suicidal. You should be able to cycle there, but reality says you shouldn’t. 

As a pedestrian I should be able to cross a busy road without incident, but using a pedestrian crossing minimises any  risk greatly. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, WarPig said:

I don’t think anyone can dispute that the car driver was at fault, but Dan could have done lots to drastically reduce the chance of that happening, but didn’t.

Cycling around that roundabout is madness, cycling a route that puts you in the centre lane of that roundabout is suicidal. You should be able to cycle there, but reality says you shouldn’t. 

As a pedestrian I should be able to cross a busy road without incident, but using a pedestrian crossing minimises any  risk greatly. 

Sorry but I’d disagree. I’d happily cycle round that roundabout rather than use the subway.

Everyone does their own assessment of the risks and decides what’s best for them. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, geared said:

Centre most lane of the roundabout, as I'd already said.  Inner most lane?  How would you describe it?

Either way, the marked lane is the one I was originally talking about.

OK, I think we're just using the same term for different lanes...my thinking was that it was the centre of the three lanes....inner, centre, outer....but middle lane is probably less ambiguous.

Any how, he wasn't in the lane you've marked, he was in the next one over, so could exit at either Moore St or St Marys Gate.

1 hour ago, WarPig said:

Based on what?  Dan Walker can't remember a thing about the accident. The police are not giving any details about the accident.  There is clear ambiguity over the video evidence depending on which paper people are reading and what angle of the story they are trying to portray.... 

It's certainly not that simple.

22 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Based on what?  Dan Walker can't remember a thing about the accident. The police are not giving any details about the accident.  There is clear ambiguity over the video evidence depending on which paper people are reading and what angle of the story they are trying to portray.... 

It is very clear and simple the video shows he was cycling in the middle lane which would take him off at Moore Street not Hanover Way so he was doing everything correct, the car veer's from the 3rd lane to the middle exactly were Dan was positioned, what video are you seeing because it is clear to me.

It is irrelevant what Dan remembers the video shows what happened.

32 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

The video obtained by The Sun very clearly shows Dan Walker in the centre of his lane, following his lane around. It clearly shows the driver of the car in the right-hand lane veer to it's left and in to Dan's lane - and in to Dan himself.

You can anti-cycling culture is strong in this country when you see the lengths people will go to to excuse motorists of any wrong-doing when it comes to an accident involving a cyclist.

• Like 1

Guest busdriver1
45 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

It clearly shows the driver of the car in the right-hand lane veer to it's left and in to Dan's lane 

Hang on a minute, the correct procedure for a car using a roundabout to make what many would call a right turn, is to enter the roundabout in the right hand lane and gradually filter out to the left as he nears his exit road, so, the car did not actually VEER, he followed good and correct lane discipline.

What he can be found lacking in is the awareness of other road users round him, of that there is little doubt.

45 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

Hang on a minute, the correct procedure for a car using a roundabout to make what many would call a right turn, is to enter the roundabout in the right hand lane and gradually filter out to the left as he nears his exit road, so, the car did not actually VEER, he followed good and correct lane discipline.

What he can be found lacking in is the awareness of other road users round him, of that there is little doubt.

He veered into the middle lane when there was a cyclist in front of him, he should have clearly seen the cyclist before going in as he wasn't exactly in his blind spot was he.

The front of his car hit his rear wheel so doing the right manoeuvre means nothing if he doesn't check what's around him 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

Lord give me strength.

You do not veer, or move, or whatever you want to call it in to the lane to your left if someone is already in it and doing so would cause a collision.

It is true that both the lane that the driver is in and the lane that Dan is in both go 'right' to St Mary's Gate, but the driver cannot move across unless the lane is clear. It wasn't; there was a human being on a bike in it.