Dan Walker Hit By Car On Sheffield Roundabout

Findlay

3 hours ago, ads36 said:

because it's rubbish.

it's too narrow, and not much more than  narrow pavements with magic blue signs, The tunnels are too narrow - and at 90° to the approaching paths. Until we learn how to see through solid walls then this kind of design will lead to conflict between pedestrians and cyclists (and cyclists).

(if we can't widen the tunnels, the approach lanes need widening, and realigning so that we can sort of see what's in them before you enter/exit)

Oh, and unless it's been cleaned up in the last 24hours, it's full of broken glass.

it's through the pedestrian underpasses.

Plus it usually has a pretend homeless person or two, hassling the students for drink money...or a large beggar women pretending she is hungry.

On foot I always go past Waitrose and cross above ground at the lights.

On a bike, I will use that sad naïve, stained relic of 70's town planning, but I keep my hand near the bell, as there is no line of sight on the approach and stay clipped in for a hasty escape if needed, as you never know who is around the corner.

Saw a huge brown rat down there once...lurking in the scrappy old shrubs, still clinging to life.

Nice introduction to Sheffield for the families of students who make the mistake of wandering too far down Ecclesall Rd...

Welcome to Sheffield...City of the Future.

Come and view a post-apocalyptic wasteland a few months before it becomes reality.

• Like 1

who?

*edit* Googled him, fair enough - had no idea who he was...

and from reading, and looking at the video - I agree, he should have used the cycle paths through the subway, the articles say "filled with broken glass" - I used to frequently use this route on my bike and never had an issue with broken glass, frequently walk this way when i'm in town too....

he also wasn't wearing a helmet, so absolutely his own fault imho..

Oh, and was also in the middle lane (as opposed to the left) for turning off to the left? - position was totally wrong for cycling too!

Edited by Ghozer

4 hours ago, ads36 said:

because it's rubbish.

it's too narrow, and not much more than  narrow pavements with magic blue signs, The tunnels are too narrow - and at 90° to the approaching paths. Until we learn how to see through solid walls then this kind of design will lead to conflict between pedestrians and cyclists (and cyclists).

(if we can't widen the tunnels, the approach lanes need widening, and realigning so that we can sort of see what's in them before you enter/exit)

I'm surprised Planner1 hasn't been on  to excuse the council again.

Usually says "Similar cities are doing the same"

And of course,  that makes it all right then.

28 minutes ago, Ghozer said:

who?

*edit* Googled him, fair enough - had no idea who he was...

and from reading, and looking at the video - I agree, he should have used the cycle paths through the subway, the articles say "filled with broken glass" - I used to frequently use this route on my bike and never had an issue with broken glass, frequently walk this way when i'm in town too....

he also wasn't wearing a helmet, so absolutely his own fault imho..

Oh, and was also in the middle lane (as opposed to the left) for turning off to the left? - position was totally wrong for cycling too!

He was wearing a helmet.

1 hour ago, ads36 said:

looks to me like it was filmed through a very heavily tinted rear window...

I thought that at first, but why the headlights on, on some cars? I'm not mistaking them for the 'always on' side lights on some newer cars.

I leave my car lights on auto. The lights will come on when it's quite dull or raining etc.

45 minutes ago, francypants said:

He was wearing a helmet.

I retract that individual statement re: helmet then (watched video in a small window on a mobile, bad quality too so must have not seen it right) - didn't see it mentioned in the article I read, saw a mention of no helmet.....

I stand by my conclusion though, on a Cycle, approaching a multi-lane roundabout, with 2 lanes to go 'straight' you don't take the right lane, cut across the middle in the middle lane, then out to the left, it's unsafe, you would always take the left 'straight' lane, to the left lane, then out on the left where you should be any way, leaving cars going the same way able to pass you on the right... I was always told left lane was 'slower' lane, right was 'faster' etc.... left is also generally a safer option, especially for cyclists... besides that fact, there was perfectly usable cycle lanes on said roundabout likely for this very reason.