Fisherpersons

11 hours ago, PRESLEY said:

Fisherpeople ?  Aren't those them little toy figures from Fisher price.  :hihi:   as I have posted previously,  People who go Coarse fishing,  either  pleasure fishing or Match fishing prefer the term Angler. :thumbsup:

Yes, fisherpeople sounds ridiculous, as do many of the other 'woke' gender neutral names. 

And don't get me started on the use of the plural 'they' instead of him or her.

On 25/02/2023 at 11:43, PRESLEY said:

If it was cruel it would be banned.:roll:

Well I suppose we could do without the childish emoji, but to get back on subject, if someone suspended you from a hook through your mouth and then proceeded to half suffocate you that would be Ok.

32 minutes ago, spilldig said:

Well I suppose we could do without the childish emoji, but to get back on subject, if someone suspended you from a hook through your mouth and then proceeded to half suffocate you that would be Ok.

Childish emoji,  well thats telling most of the forumers who use them that they are childish.  Anyhow! I repeat, if it was cruel it would be banned,  and here you go, another childish emoji :hihi: 

11 hours ago, Anna B said:

Yes, fisherpeople sounds ridiculous, as do many of the other 'woke' gender neutral names. 

And don't get me started on the use of the plural 'they' instead of him or her.

The OED's take on it - A brief history of singular ‘they’

The Oxford English Dictionary traces singular they back to 1375, where it appears in the medieval romance William and the Werewolf.

Since forms may exist in speech long before they’re written down, it’s likely that singular they was common even before the late fourteenth century.

• Like 1

On 24/02/2023 at 12:29, cuttsie said:

I have many friends who are fishermen and fisherwomen  but although I never broach the subject their pass time fascinates me .

Not because they call it a sport as its obvious it is not in any way a sporting event , No its because it looks such a mind bodaling waste of time .

I mean how can any one sit for hours ,days , weeks dangling a line into a pond hoping to hook a little fish on on a      well!!!!!!a hook .

I can understand sea fishing on a tossing boat a little as that looks exciting with the waves spraying water and wind into ones face , This is battling the elements just a little un less the boat goes down then its really man against the elements and a fairer contest .

Also one can eat a nice cod or shark , these fish can also bite back if they get a chance before being clobbered with a lump of lead or summat .

I talk to Fisher people most days who sit around our local pond in deep  thought but yesterday this conversation set me thinking , 

My pal Bill Walker was sat in deep bushes a place I had never seen him before , he was crouched down with a short rod pointing into the shallows , his feet were in the water .

"What tha doing Bill " l shouted , "Bill turned and put his figure up to lips indicating that he wanted silence ,  He then returned to his dangling line and was as still as a cat storking a mouse .  Thats when it hit me , The  fish must be able to hear .  So I left him to it .

Remember that little pond on Eastern Ave near the Carleton?

And the old chap that used to sit there, in all weathers.  Had all the gear, even an umbrella. Never saw him ever catch owt but he was happy!

1 hour ago, trastrick said:

Remember that little pond on Eastern Ave near the Carleton?

And the old chap that used to sit there, in all weathers.  Had all the gear, even an umbrella. Never saw him ever catch owt but he was happy!

Its still there I believe , but the Carlton has gone ,  Edward G Robinson  gangster movies every week  in the fifties 

19 hours ago, PRESLEY said:

Childish emoji,  well thats telling most of the forumers who use them that they are childish.  Anyhow! I repeat, if it was cruel it would be banned,  and here you go, another childish emoji :hihi: 

Take the emoji off and you might be worth a reply.

Some of Jesus' disciples were fishermen.

I was once in a health and safety committee meeting at my former place of work over 15 years ago, where I was explaining regarding an incident that 5 firemen went into a building that was full of smoke.  It was pointed out that I should use the term 'firefighters' which covered all genders.  I replied that there were 5 firefighters,  who were all MEN.  I do find all this fuss about how to be totally PC a total waste of time and effort.