Buses In Manchester Returned To Public Ownership Us Next

HillsDog

7 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

The intervention that has taken place in the past from the PTE and the various councils are the very reason the services are failing.  Political interference has always been at the heart of failures in the bus industry and nothing has changed. 

So what is the solution?

Guest busdriver1
1 minute ago, Planner1 said:

So what is the solution?

As has been mentioned before by Rolling J maybe they could hold talks and for once LISTEN to the operators. No sorry thats pipe dream stuff round here.

3 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Get rid of political intervention, or at least take into account what the operators say?

As things stand, there has to be some public subsidy to keep some routes running at evenings and weekends, so I’d think it inevitable that there’s going.to be political oversight.

What exactly is it that operators say that isn’t being taken account of?

3 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

As things stand, there has to be some public subsidy to keep some routes running at evenings and weekends, so I’d think it inevitable that there’s going.to be political oversight.

When that 'political oversight' is used intelligently, I agree - however ...

I'll leave others to answer the second question - I have never been directly involved in the PSV industry, but have had 40+ years of very deep interest.

Guest busdriver1
2 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Leaving aside the current situation with covid recovery they need to accept that the current fares are NOT sustainable, they need to deliver on their numerous promises to sort out traffic issues on bus routes ( these have been promised annually in return for concessions from the operators), the operators have delivered every time. Its the councils turn to catch up now.  

Bus station charges are still being charged despite the story that they were there to fund timetable provision, no timetables charge still in place. BSOG money retained in return for improvements to infrastructure..... 

Thats the tip of the iceberg.

5 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

Leaving aside the current situation with covid recovery they need to accept that the current fares are NOT sustainable, they need to deliver on their numerous promises to sort out traffic issues on bus routes ( these have been promised annually in return for concessions from the operators), the operators have delivered every time. Its the councils turn to catch up now.  

Bus station charges are still being charged despite the story that they were there to fund timetable provision, no timetables charge still in place. BSOG money retained in return for improvements to infrastructure..... 

Thats the tip of the iceberg.

Interesting. Over the years, the council and PTE/CA have spent considerable amounts on improving bus routes to remove / mitigate traffic delays.

Any future schemes will be dependent on being able to get funding, but there’s been some decent enough funding pots available recently with TCF and CRSTS..

Do you have any examples of known issues on the network and why the council/CA aren’t delivering?

Guest busdriver1
4 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Interesting. Over the years, the council and PTE/CA have spent considerable amounts on improving bus routes to remove / mitigate traffic delays.

Any future schemes will be dependent on being able to get funding, but there’s been some decent enough funding pots available recently with TCF and CRSTS..

Do you have any examples of known issues on the network and why the council/CA aren’t delivering?

I could easily fill a page but since you will just predictably blame everyone except the council whats the point. Ask everyday bus users where they get stuck EVERY DAY. They MIGHT be prepared to converse with you. Personally I dont do ******* in the wind.

24 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

I could easily fill a page but since you will just predictably blame everyone except the council whats the point. Ask everyday bus users where they get stuck EVERY DAY. They MIGHT be prepared to converse with you. Personally I dont do ******* in the wind.

I’m just interested to understand what the traffic issues are on the bus routes that you mention and what types of intervention are needed to deal with them.

If the necessary intervention is a significant scheme, the council and the CA have to bid for government funding for any schemes they want to deliver, so any of it will be completely dependant on the availability of government funding.. They will know which schemes are currently funded, so anything else, they won’t be able to make any cast iron promises about. This is why I’m usually sceptical when people say things have been promised. Unless it’s in an identified funding programme, all anyone can promise is to do their best to get the money.