Average Pay: What's The Truth?

6 hours ago, sheffbag said:

Pick a figure, any figure will do .  Like El Cid said, you will pick the number that suits your argument the most

https://www.avtrinity.com/uk-average-salary

So according to that source Sheffield annual wages are well above the "UK average" approaching nearly £30k a year or about £569 a week.

Of course, it's still more than minimum wage but interestingly a bit less than the UK average provided in Anna's Independent article.

Either way, it shows that Sheffield can't be this hopeless, decaying, overlooked, post industrial wasteland with no prospects of employment like some of the doomongers like to portray.  Plenty of people clearly are earning at least or above the national average with another source showing they are in reality earning well above it.  Clearly can't be just one single person earning a billion pounds just to skew the figures can it.

Of course that average will never apply to all employees, but nor should it.  There will always be those at the bottom and those at the top .... But such as life.  We're not living in some utopia of equality with everyone earning the same. 

As for the earlier poster trying to bringing some nonsense comparisons between average wages and state pensions figures, let's not be totally disingenuous with that one.  Firstly, many if not most pensioners don't just live off state pension. They will have built up assets, stock or cash savings over many years. They may have paid off their house. They may have endowments or insurance policies being paid out. They may have separate private pensions from their former employers.

For those who do have the lowest level of basic pension with little means, they have scope for  things like housing benefits or mortgage interest allowances, winter fuel payments, optical and dental allowances, free prescriptions, free travel passes, free TV licences and a multitude of businesses and services offering marketing gimmick discounts just for being an OAP.....   So not exactly a fair comparator to an average worker without access to top up state benefits, or discounts. 

Edited by ECCOnoob

7 hours ago, spilldig said:

I believe that's due to Mrs Thatcher severing the link between the old age pension and average pay, thus ensuring that the elderly do not share in the wealth of the country and when we joined the EU John Major took us out of the social chapter and scuppered it again, then when good old labour  came

back to power they never re-instated it. 

That would be Blair. And Starmer's no better.  

Very little difference between Tories and Labour now. So much for Democracy.

Which is why the poor need a champion. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Anna B said:

That would be Blair. And Starmer's no better.  

Very little difference between Tories and Labour now. So much for Democracy.

Which is why the poor need a champion. 

Indeed, because I've been on benefits for nearly 30 years (since I was just turned 17) I already know that if I live that long. I won't be eligible for a government pension at 65.

12 minutes ago, XPertByExperien said:

Indeed, because I've been on benefits for nearly 30 years (since I was just turned 17) I already know that if I live that long. I won't be eligible for a government pension at 65.

It might be worth double checking  with the pension service.

Assuming you are born after 1951, 10 years national insurance payments (even if they're not consecutive), may be sufficient to get you some level of state pension.  

You have said in other posts that you have had previous jobs and are working now.  I'd definitely recommend checking how much you have potentially built up if you have been paying NI through your salary

Edited by ECCOnoob

Just now, ECCOnoob said:

It might be worth double checking  with the pension service.

Assuming you are born after 1951, 10 years national insurance payments even (even if they're not consecutive), may be sufficient to get you some level of state pension.  

You have said in other posts that you have had previous jobs and are working now.  I'd definitely recommend checking how much you have potentially built up if you have been paying NI through your salary

That's the thing though, the majority of my previous "jobs" were voluntary.

1 hour ago, The_DADDY said:

What about the job you have now? 

Is that voluntary also?

No, it's just as and when there's a meeting or CQC inspection that I have experience in, such as supported living accommodation.

Which to date, there hasn't been, I've just attended several online MS Teams meetings for which I literally get paid for sitting and having some input to the meetings.

1 minute ago, XPertByExperien said:

No, it's just as and when there's a meeting or CQC inspection that I have experience in, such as supported living accommodation.

Which to date, there hasn't been, I've just attended several online MS Teams meetings for which I literally get paid for sitting and having some input to the meetings.

Well that's a start 👍

Who knows, it could lead on to bigger and better things?

Edited by The_DADDY

3 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

Well that's a start 👍

Who knows, it could lead on to bigger and better things?

I hope so, I've been in this job just over a year after starting last January, and all I've done so far is the meetings, and there's not that many of those in a paid capacity :(

Just now, XPertByExperien said:

I hope so, I've been in this job just over a year after starting last January, and all I've done so far is the meetings, and there's not that many of those in a paid capacity :(

At least you are showing willing matey. It shows dedication,  any employer worth their salt will be able to see that. Get your CV sent out. 2023 could be your year 🤞