Poor Old Gary Lineker

8 minutes ago, melthebell said:

Its EVERYTHING to do with political bias as Gary Linekers done nothing wrong, it was to stop what he said as they didnt like it. as i said, its been shown in previous years they said he can say anything on his twitter account as hes not a political commentator on the BBC.

No it is not, it is what ordinary people considered offensive.

Can't you think of anything except politics ?

13 minutes ago, cressida said:

I could well have done with less Forsyth and Wogan,  Des Lynam was ok he was low key - which often made Hanson and Brooking look over-talkative.  I would prefer Ray Parlour and  Andy Townsend.

Back when Sir Terry Wogan did Eurovision in the 80s, he was considerably better than Graham Norton IMO, don't get me wrong I have no problem with guys like GN, except he has an annoying voice and a slappable face.

3 hours ago, Mister M said:

But they did move the goalposts!

For years they allowed Andrew Neil to edit a right wing publication, tweet his support for Brexit, use the BBC political programmes he presented as a soap box.

If he can do all that, why the problem with Gary Lineker making a political point?

And don't forget Marcus Rashford who shamed the government into providing free school meals. But then you won't have a good word to say about him either :rolleyes:

So brave...

Thank Marcus.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11598693/amp/Marcus-Rashford-arrives-Carrington-brand-new-280-000-McLaren-765-Long-Tail-sports.html

Edited by Al Bundy

24 minutes ago, melthebell said:

Its EVERYTHING to do with political bias as Gary Linekers done nothing wrong, it was to stop what he said as they didnt like it. as i said, its been shown in previous years they said he can say anything on his twitter account as hes not a political commentator on the BBC.

That's open to debate. He may have done something very wrong by breaching the impartiality guidelines of his employer by publishing clearly partial statements on public social media.

If he wants to work with the corporation and earn the big money that comes with it, he follows their rules. It's the same treatment that any of us in an employed or otherwise contractual relationship have to follow. As someone will works in legal, all of my social media has to comply with extremely strict rules set by the company. Rules which are regularly checked and enforced.

I think the BBC response to this has been rather lacklustre and they made it much worse than it should have been.  However, I don't think Linneaker has been showing himself in a good light either. His own response has been full of arrogance and ego. Someone who is clearly pushing the boundaries of what he thinks he should get away with because of his popularity. Someone who thinks that rules are not for him because he's too popular and too big. They're just for the minions beneath him, because hey, he has all his friends who will rally round him and create a ruckus.

When newsreader Martine Croxall got a slap on the wrist for skirting the rules, there was no Twitter storm or dominating headlines or lots of colleagues boycotting to read the news in solidarity.  She was off air until such time as she  came back with her tail between her legs, nodding apologetically.  

Clearly Linneker thinks he is above all that. Well I guess we shall see and how long it be before he really crosses a line beyond return.

As Loob points out.  Linneker is entitled  to freedom of speech, but that comes with consequences when he is contractually obligated to follow rules set by the ones paying his wages.  If he doesn't like that, he's equally completely free to leave and go somewhere which doesn't have such policies.  Maybe if his ego says he's so popular, he should go test it out.

Edited by ECCOnoob

Maybe. Depends who is being asked.

For arguments sake, let's just imagine an alternative scenario here.  Say one of their popular game show or radio presenters used their Twitter account supporting Matt Hancock for his PPE policies and achievements during covid lockdowns......  Do we reckon there would be the same level of praise and solidarity and discussions about their rights to have free speech?    

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Maybe. Depends who is being asked.

For arguments sake, let's just imagine an alternative scenario here.  Say one of their popular game show or radio presenters used their Twitter account supporting Matt Hancock for his PPE policies and achievements during covid lockdowns......  Do we reckon there would be the same level of praise and solidarity and discussions about their rights to have free speech?    

Like I said on some Political thread last week, contrary to popular belief, the UK isn't the 51st US State, the "freedom of speech" under the 2nd or 3rd Amendment doesn't apply this side of the Atlantic.