Poor Old Gary Lineker

1 minute ago, Al Bundy said:

Indeed.

And that's the paradox for the BBC.

They're terrified of the Government in power, they've under the kosh from various executives who are close to the Tory Party, their charter renewal is always under question, and many of the Tory Party don't even want a BBC.

If the BBC had some backbone, they'd take a leaf out of Channel 4's book who really went up in my estimation by flicking their fingers to the government when they started their bullying tactics.

The BBC by being so partisan is alienating the very people who would stand up for it, and who want to see a continuation public service broadcasting.

9 minutes ago, Mister M said:

No the BBC's reaction has made the BBC look absolutely ridiculous

What about the political bias of Andrew Neil who for years presented 2 flagship political programmes (not a sports presenter), who quite openly edited a right wing magazine, who regularly tweeted about his disdain for the EU, made various party political points in favour of one side and not the other.

Yes action was taken against Gary L. What about Andrew Neil, Laura K and the rest? Let's have some consistency.

Agree entirely.

Before Brexit commentators etc. were giving their views when what I wanted were unbiased facts.

By the way Hughie Green was right wing.

7 minutes ago, Mister M said:

No the BBC's reaction has made the BBC look absolutely ridiculous

You might say that the pressure from the government has made the BBC react in a way that has made them look absolutely ridiculous.

I’m fine with Andrew Neil making statements too. I don’t want to live in a beige world where public figures can’t express their own views. AN winds me up quite a lot of the time, but he also make plenty of important points.

Laura K is a different kettle of fish.  Her current role really does demand impartiality.

43 minutes ago, Prettytom said:

But Lineker has shown no political bias. He’s made a statement about refugees.

He’s not told anyone how to vote. He hasn’t used his TV show to publicise his political views.

Your comparison with Hughie Green is ridiculous, really.

What he did was just as bad if not a LOT worse IMO.

2 minutes ago, Prettytom said:

You might say that the pressure from the government has made the BBC react in a way that has made them look absolutely ridiculous.

I’m fine with Andrew Neil making statements too. I don’t want to live in a beige world where public figures can’t express their own views. AN winds me up quite a lot of the time, but he also make plenty of important points.

Laura K is a different kettle of fish.  Her current role really does demand impartiality.

I think what I want is consistency - if Andrew Neil is allowed tweet partisan stuff, then Gary Lineker should be allowed.

This kind of thing is partly why I deleted my Twitter account back in January, not that I used it much anyway, Z-list "Celebs" with sandbags for brains Tweeting controversial viewpoints purely for clicks, when they know full well it could, and usually does, come back to bite them.

3 minutes ago, Mister M said:

I think what I want is consistency - if Andrew Neil is allowed tweet partisan stuff, then Gary Lineker should be allowed.

Undoubtedly. 

It can’t be beyond the BBC to list the jobs where employees have to sacrifice their right to free speech. Then let the rest of them get on with it.

On the whole, I’d rather know what people think. Then I can take that into account when I hear them speak.

Example: If I know that Fiona Bruce is a raging Tory. I can filter her dreadful outpourings on QT more easily.

32 minutes ago, Mister M said:

And that's the paradox for the BBC.

They're terrified of the Government in power, they've under the kosh from various executives who are close to the Tory Party, their charter renewal is always under question, and many of the Tory Party don't even want a BBC.

If the BBC had some backbone, they'd take a leaf out of Channel 4's book who really went up in my estimation by flicking their fingers to the government when they started their bullying tactics.

The BBC by being so partisan is alienating the very people who would stand up for it, and who want to see a continuation public service broadcasting.

Would that be the "right wing" BBC that spent four weeks slating right wing gulf states, who we are constantly told that are in the pockets of the conservatives?

That BBC?

Edited by Al Bundy

Guest makapaka
7 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

Would that be the "right wing" BBC that spent four weeks slating right wing gulf states, who we are constantly told that are in the pockets of the conservatives?

That BBC?

Don’t tell me - you think the BBC is left wing?