Man Of Steel Statue?

Has anyone got any news about the MOS fiasco? I recall 11yrs ago it was announced, and the guy chosen to do it opened a website, and allowed people to buy "namespots" or similar on it for £25 each . My wife bought 2 for my Dad and hers......Here we are in 2023... there is a website, which wont open, Facebook has NO news whatsoever thats anything like recent!!!

After about 7yrs I recall emailing the site and asking why it was taking so long...The reply I got quoted the Angel Of The North in Gateshead took a while, a rather cursory reply to be honest.

I have just checked the AOTN history...it was commissioned to be built in 1994...and was there in place 4yrs later....obviously a well run project, run by professionals it would seem.

I wonder how much money was spent on the name spots, and where it actually is now, because one thing is ABSOLUTELY clear, there is no progress re the actual sculpture, or none that has been made known. The Avesta Bull on the side of the M1, whilst not really depicting Sheffield was a landmark. The MOS was meant to be something far greater!!

Has the guy who got the commission actually progressed this or is it lost in so much red tape and half truths/promises that it will never happen!!!

Edited by SteelHouse

Last update I can find was posted June 2021, saying its delayed due to Covid, however a smaller "Heart of Steel" has been revealed at M-Hall, that will live next to the Steel Man....

The Wikipedia page claims that more funding is needed, however the last update on there references 2015 so, who knows on that one...

The website (www.thesteelman.co.uk) does indeed seem to be not working, the company (Yorkshire Icon LTD) still exists and records are still up to date, I managed to find a phone number for them, you could try and give them a call... 01142541220

Edited by Ghozer
  • Like 1

Something a bit odd. The directors all resigned about the same time (2019) And one of them that resigned, is the director, as of when .Gov published the info...end of 2022?

I'd ring them.

Then I might be getting advice from the police.

Edited by zach

8 minutes ago, zach said:

Something a bit odd. The directors all resigned about the same time (2019) And one of them that resigned, is the director, as of when .Gov published the info...end of 2022?

I'd ring them.

Then I might be getting advice from the police.

Yeah, I noticed that while digging too, is a bit odd, but who knows the reasons...

I also found another (none Sheffield) number linked to "Yorkshire Man of Steel" (was on 192.com)  - 01709 377 271 but it seems to also be a pub in Rotherham...

Edited by Ghozer

7 minutes ago, XPertByExperien said:

Is the statue where the customer service desk is in Meadowhall? Opposite the TSB Bank? As far as I know it's still there? (Not that I've been anywhere near the place since towards the end of last year)

You do realise its not a Statue of Superman. :hihi:

13 minutes ago, XPertByExperien said:

Is the statue where the customer service desk is in Meadowhall? Opposite the TSB Bank? As far as I know it's still there? (Not that I've been anywhere near the place since towards the end of last year)

No, it's supposed to be near the Tinsley Viaduct, by where the Cooling Towers were... not sure of the EXACT spot, but in that area at least..

Unless you mean the "heart of steel" - then yes, I believe that's the one! 
https://www.meadowhall.co.uk/news/heart-steel-meadowhall

Edited by Ghozer