Man Of Steel Statue?

6 hours ago, SteelHouse said:

I have tried to do some further digging into this mess. 

The council are not involved as such, it was not a commission or request from them that started the project, so it was probably a private venture.

Looking at the available info the guy chosen to make the sculpture was called Mehdi.. he appears to have been ousted from the Man of Steel board of directors some time ago.. A woman called Jane Hughes is supposedly still an active director, however, the filings for monies are woeful, it appears last filing were 32K in and almost 32K in debt...with balance for the company of less than £200!!

It's not just the fact there isn't detailed records of monies etc...my biggest concern is there is no actual point of contact with ANYONE remotely involved with the project.

Someone, somewhere has trousered a decent amount of Sheffield people/businesses  cash!!

If this project is still alive, and ongoing surely it is time someone with a dog in the fight so to speak were able to ask company directors etc some questions re timescales, which on the surface appear to have simply slipped and nothing is being done.

If anyone with an active role/participation in the project has anything to say, then please do.

I am not calling you out as such, but realistically after so so long there should be some progress , or if not someone willing to tell the public where their money has gone? 

Me? I think its got a real element of something very underhanded and would like someone to put the record straight.

Hughes and Medhi are directors or have been of similar companies. Regardless of the fact that Medhi is no longer part of Yorkshire Icon etc, they are clearly linked.  The pair have listed the same residential and business addresses for correspondence. It isn't a stretch to consider that they're more than business partners.

I found a site that collates a lot of info

Yorkshire Icon Limited - https://suite.endole.co.uk/insight/company/08617274-yorkshire-icon-limited
Yorkshire Man of Steel Ltd - https://suite.endole.co.uk/insight/company/09719701-yorkshire-man-of-steel-limited

To me it looks like the whole thing has turned into a scam by this pair. The constant changing of directorships, liquidation of companies only to crop up as directors of similarly named companies, linked to the project just raises more red flags. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was asked by a friend to meet with Medhi at his gallery on Ecclesall Road before he launched - many many years ago!

He wanted a website for the Man of Steel - free of charge and my effort being put down as support towards a charitable cause.  I registered a few addresses and when he wanted ownership of the domains and I refused, he broke off contact.  I didn't want to put all the effort in without having the control in case something happened etc.  He wasn't happy as it was clearly an ego boosting exercise and he wanted complete control. Hence he didn't get man of steel sites as I'd registered them.

Looks like I got a lucky escape in the end as it's not gone anywhere.  

1 minute ago, hsb98c said:

I was asked by a friend to meet with Medhi at his gallery on Ecclesall Road before he launched - many many years ago!

He wanted a website for the Man of Steel - free of charge and my effort being put down as support towards a charitable cause.  I registered a few addresses and when he wanted ownership of the domains and I refused, he broke off contact.  I didn't want to put all the effort in without having the control in case something happened etc.  He wasn't happy as it was clearly an ego boosting exercise and he wanted complete control. Hence he didn't get man of steel sites as I'd registered them.

Looks like I got a lucky escape in the end as it's not gone anywhere.  

Really hope those involved  get prosecuted 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Really hope those involved  get prosecuted 

I hope so too. 

I've tried to uncover more however I'm now at the wall of a private citizen, within legal means, to gain anymore info. 

I am the original poster..

I contacted Meadowhall and they assured me they would look into it…

Had a reply couple of days ago and it went along the lines of…

They had contacted “stakeholders” in the project who told them there was to be an announcement soon …. Not sure whether I believe that, my gut feeling is the stakeholders whoever they are may be lifting Meadowhall’s leg too!!

We will see … but after sooooo long I won’t be holding my breath !!!!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

So,

Tonights Star has given an "update"!!!

Apparently, the project team have approached Outokumpu in an effort to beg some steel to make what essentially sounds like  a small mock up of their intended finished article!! The amount raised through the donations would be considerable, but they are essentially trying to cadge the steel!!

As I have looked deeper into this debacle, this latest news fills me with no positivity or actual belief that the rival to the Angel of The North is ever going to see completion. This smacks of another "special announcement" to try and ward off any unwanted scrutiny.

The people of Sheffield are not stupid, I think most people will read this and see the same as me..smoke & mirrors, nothing more!!

I genuinely hope I am proven wrong, but so so many years since its inception, part of me already knows the probable outcome.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SteelHouse said:

So,

Apparently, the project team have approached Outokumpu in an effort to beg some steel to make what essentially sounds like  a small mock up of their intended finished article!! The amount raised through the donations would be considerable, but they are essentially trying to cadge the steel!!

As I have looked deeper into this debacle, this latest news fills me with no positivity or actual belief that the rival to the Angel of The North is ever going to see completion. This smacks of another "special announcement" to try and ward off any unwanted scrutiny.

The people of Sheffield are not stupid, I think most people will read this and see the same as me..smoke & mirrors, nothing more!!

I genuinely hope I am proven wrong, but so so many years since its inception, part of me already knows the probable outcome.

Does the Star have any reservations/ thoughts on this and the delay?

8 hours ago, SteelHouse said:

So,

This is genuinely my view. It's a drip, a crumb, a tiny morsel to keep people thinking that it's developing and as you said to stop people looking too closely. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HumbleNarrator said:

I hope this doesn't happen. If the original idea of a huge Angel-of-the-north scale structure isn't to be made, then don't bother at all for me. A smaller pathetic version will just annoy me every time I see it.

It shouldn’t be allowed