Carerooms For Convalescence?

Just seen an advert on Facebook for 'CareRooms.com' 

They are asking people with a spare room, to offer it people leaving hospital, and to act as a 'Host' to them. 

They are willing to pay £350 for the privilege (don't know who pays - the hospital, the government, or the patient?)

The Host will also receive 'support.'

This is in Stockport.

That's it in a nutshell, (although there is more information online.) It's a pretty radical idea and I'm not sure what I think about it, although I'm pretty sure if I was coming out of hospital I wouldn't want to live with strangers.

But what do you think? And do you think we'll be seeing it in Sheffield?

2 minutes ago, Anna B said:

They are asking people with a spare room, to offer it people leaving hospital, and to act as a 'Host' to them. 

They are willing to pay £350 for the privilege (don't know who pays - the hospital, the government, or the patient?)

This is in Stockport.

That's it in a nutshell, (although there is more information online.) It's a pretty radical idea and I'm not sure what I think about it, although I'm pretty sure if I was coming out of hospital I wouldn't want to live with strangers.

I'd give it a very wide berth. Sounds like the same "carers" who started residential care homes back in the 90's to provide care  build up a property  portfolio.

It sounds something similar to people who offer respite care, taking people into their homes to  give the carer a break.  

If the people who are acting as a host and offering patients leaving hospital a room are registered with the council and receive support it might not be such a bad idea, especially for people growing old without the support of children who just need a few extra weeks  care before returning to their homes.   

7 hours ago, Anna B said:

This is in Stockport.

As a disabled person myself, I do not support this.

It's not up to the general public to provide palative care for current/former Hospital patients, it's up to the care sector/government/local council to find respite facilities, however, I know from personal experience that the care sector's been in turmoil since forever due to an extreme lack of staff, and respite facilities in general are very hard to find or even get access to.

Like in 2002 I went for what was supposed to be a week in respite at a place up Woodhouse, was in there 3 days and was on the mobile to my Parents literally crying to come Home it was that bad.

9 minutes ago, XPertByExperien said:

As a disabled person myself, I do not support this.

It's not up to the general public to provide palative care for current/former Hospital patients, it's up to the care sector/government/local council to find respite facilities, however, I know from personal experience that the care sector's been in turmoil since forever due to an extreme lack of staff, and respite facilities in general are very hard to find or even get access to.

Like in 2002 I went for what was supposed to be a week in respite at a place up Woodhouse, was in there 3 days and was on the mobile to my Parents literally crying to come Home it was that bad.

To be fair most folk who visit Woodhouse have similar experiences.

😉

Bad idea. People leaving hospital are nearly always on medication which has to be given at regular intervals to patients.  Also temperatures, blood pressures and dressings changed. Also some patients need to be put on commodes or accompanied to the toilet. Could an ordinary person do this ? 

Some people would do it just for the money with no medical experience.

1 hour ago, pattricia said:

Bad idea. People leaving hospital are nearly always on medication which has to be given at regular intervals to patients.  Also temperatures, blood pressures and dressings changed. Also some patients need to be put on commodes or accompanied to the toilet. Could an ordinary person do this ? 

Some people would do it just for the money with no medical experience.

To be fair Pat, I believe temperature, blood pressure etc will be monitored remotely, and a phone doctor will be available to patients. All hi tech stuff which I don't understand (or rate) to be honest.

The money is indeed all some people will be interested in. 

Frankly, if they can afford to pay people £350 -£400 to look after strangers, isn't it about time the carers allowance of a pitiful £60 a week, was raised substantially for looking after family members? 

Edited by Anna B

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

To be fair Pat, I believe temperature, blood pressure etc will be monitored remotely, and a phone doctor will be available to patients. All hi tech stuff which I don't understand (or rate) to be honest.

The money is indeed all some people will be interested in. 

Frankly, if they can afford to pay people £350 -£400 to look after strangers, isn't it about time the carers allowance of a pitiful £60 a week, was raised substantially for looking after family members? 

Anna I did not know that temperature, blood pressure etc will be monitored remotely. Also the carers allowance is pitiful, also ordinary carers, who go from house to house get pitiful wages, just because they don’t have a degree in nursing is disgusting !

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

.....if they can afford to pay people £350 -£400 to look after strangers, isn't it about time the carers allowance of a pitiful £60 a week, was raised substantially for looking after family members? 

👍

42 minutes ago, pattricia said:

Anna I did not know that temperature, blood pressure etc will be monitored remotely. Also the carers allowance is pitiful, also ordinary carers, who go from house to house get pitiful wages, just because they don’t have a degree in nursing is disgusting !

Yep, the biggest problem, which IMO needs to be addressed by the government, is that qualified carers don't wanna work in the care sector on long hours for pennies more than minimum wage! It's simply not feasible.

So the care sector simply employs Fred or Joe or Joanne Bloggs from down the job centre, or basically anyone who can pass a basic DBS disclosure, especially if they have a car and Business insurance to use it in a professional capacity.

Which not many carers do at the moment.

Edited by XPertByExperien
More detail.