Digital Pound Likely This Decade, Treasury Says

3 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Fair enough - but have they actually said digital currency will replace cash?

Don't know,  but it seems that the intent is there and serious discussions are taking place.

Maybe they are sounding people out, as is this thread.

1 hour ago, Thirsty Relic said:

Cash for me - if a company does not accept cash, I vote with my feet and go elsewhere

So I take it you pay all your utilities by prepayment meter and top ups in a local shop?  You have a pay as you go mobile phone? You don't have any subscriptions for television or media or music?  You have never ever used  prepaid car parking services? You go queue up for your council tax payments in the town hall every year? You have never purchased a property, vehicle or other such high value purchase from a major retailer then?  You have never bought anything online or purchased travel tickets, accommodation or activities through a non-physical travel service?

So ,you are choosing to completely inconvenience and restrict yourself. Doesn't seem like anything to be proud of to me

Edited by ECCOnoob
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

So I take it you pay all your utilities by prepayment meter and top ups in a local shop?  You have a pay as you go mobile phone? You don't have any subscriptions for television or media or music?  You have never ever used  prepaid car parking services? You go queue up for your council tax payments in the town hall every year? You have never purchased a property, vehicle or other such high value purchase from a major retailer then?  You have never bought anything online or purchased travel tickets, accommodation or activities through a non-physical travel service?

So ,you are choosing to completely inconvenience and restrict yourself. Doesn't seem like anything to be proud of to me

Contrary to what the government seems to want, a cashless society will NEVER happen IMO.

2 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

Yes it will. Sadly its inevitable 

Agree Daddy...

It's progress, I'm an old git, and us old gits love cash..

My two daughters don't know what cash is..

We will  become a cashless society in the not to distant future...

As you say "It's inevitable"