Royal Mail Customer Service Rant

Meh, I got an email about an hour ago that RM had been to the Flat to pick up an Amazon parcel, even though I specifically arranged for it to be picked up on Friday as due to a Dentist and Hospital appointment today, I knew I wasn't going to be around, I've just rung them on the deaf/hard of hearing phone number on my mobile, and even though I explained my address/post code/order number 4 times, the woman didn't understand and kept asking!

I freely admit I have NO patience but come on!

WHY do the majority of call centres employ Foreign people that don't understand Yorkshire accents? :loopy: :rant: 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, XPertByExperien said:

Meh, I got an email about an hour ago that RM had been to the Flat to pick up an Amazon parcel, even though I specifically arranged for it to be picked up on Friday as due to a Dentist and Hospital appointment today, I knew I wasn't going to be around, I've just rung them on the deaf/hard of hearing phone number on my mobile, and even though I explained my address/post code/order number 4 times, the woman didn't understand and kept asking!

WHY do the majority of call centres employ Foreign people that don't understand Yorkshire accents? :loopy: :rant: 

Foreign call centres are probably cheaper.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, XPertByExperien said:

I get your point - in a way - but I have usually found that speaking slowly and carefully in these situations helps - if they fail to understand, I ring off and try again, in the vain hope of getting someone who does a little more than read from a script, and (very occasionally) has a better grasp of the English language.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, XPertByExperien said:

I get that, but why bother when the majority of them don't understand most UK regional dialects? :loopy: 

Because its probably cheaper

6 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

I get your point - in a way - but I have usually found that speaking slowly and carefully in these situations helps - if they fail to understand, I ring off and try again, in the vain hope of getting someone who does a little more than read from a script, and (very occasionally) has a better grasp of the English language.

My bold 

Yup, this generally works for me too.👍

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

Because its probably cheaper

My bold 

Yup, this generally works for me too.👍

So basically, I have to talk like a robot purely to be understood? No, no, and did I mention, no? I don't see why I should change my voice for some call centre drone that doesn't understand basic English!

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, XPertByExperien said:

So basically, I have to talk like a robot purely to be understood? No, no, and did I mention, no? I don't see why I should change my voice for some call centre drone that doesn't understand basic English!

No. Just slow and clear then you should have fewer problems. 

1 minute ago, XPertByExperien said:

As we both said (differently), if you want something done, you have to make yourself understood, and if that means changing your mode of speech, then you do.  I have a fairly strong Sheffield accent (so I'm told), and when speaking to people from outside the region - even native English speakers - I tone the accent down and speak slower/more clearly.

had exactly this issue this morning speaking to someone from the North-east.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, XPertByExperien said:

'Call centre drones' are people too you know. Just take your time and be patient with them or hang up and try again.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

As we both said (differently), if you want something done, you have to make yourself understood, and if that means changing your mode of speech, then you do.  I have a fairly strong Sheffield accent (so I'm told), and when speaking to people from outside the region - even native English speakers - I tone the accent down and speak slower/more clearly.

had exactly this issue this morning speaking to someone from the North-east.

I've been with Sky for years for TV, and last April, I signed up for landline and Fibre after coming out of contract with Plusnet, their call centre's based in the far North of Scotland, yet I can vaguely translate a strong Scottish accent a lot better than say, Indian or even worse, African.

• Like 1