Have Your 'Colds' Changed Since The Pandemic ?

Although this is pandemic related I do not want it in the Covid thread as it is more specific and people not necessarily interested in the Covid thread might be interested in this one.

Have your "colds" changed since the pandemic ?

Mine appear to have. I used to get one of two a year and they were all pretty similar, they'd get worse for 2 or 3 days, then slowly ease off for about the next week then I'd be back to normal.

Now however they're all over the place. I had one last November which was worse than usual and lasted longer (I don't think it was Covid as my wife had the cold too and she tested negative), but I have also had a few which slowly get worse but not as severe as before, then they stick around for what seems like ages. I may feel under the weather and a bit weak but not bad enough to stop me going swim training (always the objective measure of how bad a cold is for me). However, they are often accompanied by a cough which can sometimes stick around for weeks and is a PITA.

I had the first two vaccines (AstraZeneca in spring 2021) but none of the boosters.

I had Covid in April 2022 (i.e. after the vaccine), it was worse than a cold for me but no worse than some throat infections I have had.

Edited by Chekhov

I've been getting fewer colds since the pandemic. In fact, I think I've had 1 cold in the last 18 months, and I'm certain that's because I've been much more rigorous in ensuring that I wash my hands much more. Which is good, because that's what we should be doing.

• Like 2

Got what feels like one starting right now - a bit tired, aching limbs and sore throat.

But it never develops into anything, disappears after 24-48 hours.   Been the same twice previously too.

Can't remember the last time I had a full on cold with the snotty hanky and Vicks. Definetly pre-covid.

Don't know if its to do with the vaccine or just the more frequent use of gels, masks and hand washing.

Only really being 'ill' once since the start of the pandemic, that was about a month ago - felt crap for a weekend, slept more - was only a cold, but soon passed and been fine since :)

Seem to rarely catch things like colds etc, guess i'm just lucky :D

44 minutes ago, Ghozer said:

Only really being 'ill' once since the start of the pandemic, that was about a month ago - felt crap for a weekend, slept more - was only a cold, but soon passed and been fine since :)

Seem to rarely catch things like colds etc, guess i'm just lucky :D

As a youngster I always had colds - right up until I was in my 20s - something like 4 or 5 times a year when I was at school, then maybe 2 or 3 times a year afterwards. It was only until I was in my late 30s that I became much more resistant to them. Possibly because my body had built up enough immunity to defend itself against any cold bugs that were in circulation

Edited by Mister M