Siren Type Alerts To Be Sent To Uk Phones-Floods/Wildfires.

i don't get the "I'll turn it off" mentality of some people.

It's like having a smoke alarm and removing the batteries 🤷‍♂️

Granted that there's not many wildfires in Sheffield and I live at the top of a hill so if I get flooded then there'll be far more people in a worse state than me but if someone decides they want to die while waving a machete around in my neighbourhood I'd like to be alerted so I can take precautions.

*edit*

Just Googled the Sheffield flood of 2007 and 2 people died in that. Maybe if they'd received a warning they wouldn't have. Just saying.

Edited by whiteowl
Addtional

14 minutes ago, whiteowl said:

i don't get the "I'll turn it off" mentality of some people.

It's like having a smoke alarm and removing the batteries 🤷‍♂️

Granted that there's not many wildfires in Sheffield and I live at the top of a hill so if I get flooded then there'll be far more people in a worse state than me but if someone decides they want to die while waving a machete around in my neighbourhood I'd like to be alerted so I can take precautions.

*edit*

Just Googled the Sheffield flood of 2007 and 2 people died in that. Maybe if they'd received a warning they wouldn't have. Just saying.

Way to use tragic deaths to push your opinion. 

10 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

Way to use tragic deaths to push your opinion. 

is what he said true? could an alert sent to everybody in sheffield about possible flooding save lives? it very mightve, depends on exact circumstances as well. Same with wildfires in the scottish highlands or down south that threaten homes in some cases. Not everybody watches the tv or has the radio on especially these days, post takes a couple of days, how else do you warn somebody? apart from police knocking at yer door, which i imagine is even scarier.

13 minutes ago, melthebell said:

is what he said true? could an alert sent to everybody in sheffield about possible flooding save lives? it very mightve, depends on exact circumstances as well. Same with wildfires in the scottish highlands or down south that threaten homes in some cases. Not everybody watches the tv or has the radio on especially these days, post takes a couple of days, how else do you warn somebody? apart from police knocking at yer door, which i imagine is even scarier.

My problem with these alerts is there is no opt out. Sure for now you can disable them by altering your phone settings but not everyone will be able to do that. 

Also, I don't like the idea of these alerts making your phone practically useless until you acknowledge it. 

Re my previous post on this subject, Ryan was my lads friend, he was a really nice boy who we knew quite well so my reaction was probably ott.

5 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

My problem with these alerts is there is no opt out. Sure for now you can disable them by altering your phone settings but not everyone will be able to do that. 

Also, I don't like the idea of these alerts making your phone practically useless until you acknowledge it. 

You seem to be making a much larger deal out of it than it is, the phone is practically useless just like your alarm goes off until you click it off, wow, thats not really a problem, bearing in mind the alert should never go off for like 99.99% of the population...ever.

I'm interested to see if mine ever goes off for something real...which i doubt.

Unfortunately it looks like we may get another test once the review of this ones complete as as normal we as a nation ****ed that one up and sounds like a lot didnt actually get it. The British Government and technology dont really go together lol

Edited by melthebell
  • Like 2