Siren Type Alerts To Be Sent To Uk Phones-Floods/Wildfires.

8 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

A siren-like alert will be sent to smartphone users across the UK next month to test a new government public warning system.

It allows the government and emergency services to send urgent messages warning the public of life-threatening situations like flooding or wildfires.

The test is expected to take place in the early evening of 23 April.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64999417.amp

Will you be allowing the alerts or disabling them?

The asteroid is coming.....COVID lockdowns were just a dry run to see if they could get the planet to stay in their homes

This is the next step 👍

4 minutes ago, Anna B said:

What about people without a smart phone? Are they just going to burn?

Also, it will have to be used very very sparingly only for serious emergencies, or people will just start to ignore it.

There are ever-decreasing numbers of those. To be honest, I can't think of anyone I know who doesn't have a mobile phone (they don't need to be 'smart' ones).

4 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

The asteroid is coming.....COVID lockdowns were just a dry run to see if they could get the planet to stay in their homes

This is the next step 👍

never took you as a conspiracy theorist.

Edited by RollingJ
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

There are ever-decreasing numbers of those. To be honest, I can't think of anyone I know who doesn't have a mobile phone (they don't need to be 'smart' ones).

The article says they need to be smartphones on 4G or 5G connections.

Just now, RollingJ said:

They have that in Canada, used for all manner of alerts.

Emergency Alerts and the National Public Alerting System

The National Public Alerting System is a federal, provincial, and territorial system that enables emergency management organizations across Canada to warn the public about imminent or possible dangers such as floods, tornados, hazardous materials, fires, and other disasters. The system is also used for Amber Alerts and other urgent bulletins about child abductions when the child is thought to be in grave danger.

These potentially life-saving warnings, which are area-specific (geo-targeted), are known as emergency alerts. When an alert is issued, it is broadcast on television and radio and sent to mobile devices that are connected to an LTE (long-term evolution) network.

Emergency alerts are created and sent by authorized emergency management organizations, such as police departments, Environment and Climate Change Canada, and provincial and territorial bodies.

So it's just another foot in the door to keep the population fearful, stressed out, ever more government dependent, and, by the way, safe!

(Environment and Climate change should give you a clue) :)

Because you can't be too careful!  

It can be very obtrusive, and annoying. Takes over your phone screen and is hard to remove, so if you are in the middle of writing an email to say, a client, it's flashing and burping until you switch the phone off!

Edited by trastrick

10 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

For someone so well versed in technical matters, you didn't really think that through before posting.

5 minutes ago, altus said:

The article says they need to be smartphones on 4G or 5G connections.

Sorry, @altus - must admit to not reading the article, so maybe I'm wrong - it does happen the odd time. 😀

5 minutes ago, fools said:

For someone so well versed in technical matters, you didn't really think that through before posting.

See above. Had a feeling you'd pop up like a boil.