Siren Type Alerts To Be Sent To Uk Phones-Floods/Wildfires.

8 minutes ago, Axe said:

It was you who brought the possibility  of dastardly ego maniac with evil intent and then stated fortunately for us there is no one who fits that description. Terrorism fits that description and given that the terrorism threat level in Northern has been raised from substantial to severe , meaning an attack is highly likely. The terrorists calling themselves the new IRA are the group that worries MI5.

I never stated genuine republicans would do that,  You are clearly a terrorist sympathiser otherwise you would have acknowledged there is a threat from Irish republican terrorists.

You appear unable to comprehend what is written in the post to which you have replied. 

" Those who use violence in Northern Ireland at this time are basically gangsters using their supposed ideology as an excuse. That applies to both groups. "What part of that comment do you struggle to understand?

Let me explain it to you again and hopefully it might sink in this time. The PIRA had legitimate grievances, while I didn't sympathise with their methods, knowing the history I understood the reasons why they acted as they did.

It is now over, the GFA laid down a political solution. A reunited Ireland is now inevitable, any violence by any organisation will only serve to delay the day but will not prevent it.

My original post was a tongue in cheek reference to Putin. It mentioned nuclear capability. You saw the opportunity to return to your uneducated nonsensicle anti Irish diatribe. Grow up.

Presumably these alerts will be location based? So, authorities can send alerts to all devices within a specific area?

How do they know which devices those are? Do the authorities get that data, or do the authorities just request the platform holder (Apple, Google, etc) to send a specific alert to all devices in particular area?

Sounds like lots of potential positives; but also privacy concerns, giving our government more data for potential misuse.

9 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Presumably these alerts will be location based? So, authorities can send alerts to all devices within a specific area?

How do they know which devices those are? Do the authorities get that data, or do the authorities just request the platform holder (Apple, Google, etc) to send a specific alert to all devices in particular area?

Sounds like lots of potential positives; but also privacy concerns, giving our government more data for potential misuse.

The latter. Do you realise how mobile devices work?

If you dont like the thought that Vodafone know you were in Leeds yesterday (as an example), maybe mobile phones arent for you.

Edited by HeHasRisen

44 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Had you read the article linked to in the first post you'd have seen this:

The new system uses cell broadcasting technology and messages will be based on someone's current location - but location services do not need to be switched on to receive the alerts.

That is because when an alert is triggered, all cell towers in a defined area will broadcast it, allowing the message to reach an area the size of an electoral ward.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

The latter. Do you realise how mobile devices work?

If you dont like the thought that Vodafone know you were in Leeds yesterday (as an example), maybe mobile phones arent for you.

Electronic intrusion is quite the thing these days. My broadband and mobile phone suppliers are different companies despite which if I look something up such as a holiday destination for instance on one device you can guarantee I'll receive adverts for the same place on the other device.

Going ' Off The Grid ' would take some doing these days.