Failing Nhs

What a shambles our NHS has become. I've recently spent rather a lot of time using the system in its current state, and it's been a nightmare. 

Almost impossible to contact the GP for an appointment, then a long wait for said appointment, which then became a crisis, and finally necessitated a trip to A&E. No ambulance available, so I had to drive the patient there myself, and the A&E department had to be seen to be believed. Standing room only, day and night and a queue at reception which reached the door. This in spite of GP doctor writing 'Direct access to xxxx ward,' on his referral for the 95 year old patient.

No beds available, (130 patients waiting and just 12 beds) so 95 year old emergency patient spent 3 hours sitting upright on a hard chair (kindly given up by another waiting patient) just waiting for a trolley to lie down on, (but no pillows available) and a further 5  hour wait for bed on a ward. 

Care  on ward 'adequate' but cursory. Patients slept in clothes, no attempt at personal hygiene, no one to assist with feeding or toileting. (Bed sores no longer considered the disgrace they used to be, and special mattress unavailable.)

Discharge some days later was equally chaotic, with a general lack of communication and a 10 hour wait after doctor declared patient well enough to go home, waiting for the official discharge letter and medications from pharmacy. 

This is not unusual. In fact a carbon copy of previous experience some weeks earlier. Over the course of 3 days going through A&E at various times of the day and night it was permanently packed with the walking wounded and worse. 

How on earth has it got like this? I'm not blaming the personnel as such who are run off their feet and do their best, but the government who have deliberately just watched this happen. They have known for years that this was on the cards with a growing population etc, but done nothing to increase doctor training, (plenty of worthy applicants unable to get places because universities have filled places with foreign students because they pay more.) Taxpayer's money is being hived off to greedy privatised companies.

IMO The NHS is being deliberately run into the ground to make way for an American type Insurance system which is one of the worst in the world -  Beware; if you are old, disabled or have a chronic illness (which could be any of us,) you won't get cover or be able to afford it and will be left out in the cold.

Edited by Anna B

31 minutes ago, Anna B said:

What a shambles our NHS has become. I've recently spent rather a lot of time using the system in its current state, and it's been a nightmare. 

Almost impossible to contact the GP for an appointment, then a long wait for said appointment, which then became a crisis, and finally necessitated a trip to A&E. No ambulance available, so I had to drive the patient there myself, and the A&E department had to be seen to be believed. Standing room only, day and night and a queue at reception which reached the door. This in spite of GP doctor writing 'Direct access to xxxx ward,' on his referral for the 95 year old patient.

No beds available, (130 patients waiting and just 12 beds) so 95 year old emergency patient spent 3 hours sitting upright on a hard chair (kindly given up by another waiting patient) just waiting for a trolley to lie down on, (but no pillows available) and a further 5  hour wait for bed on a ward. 

Care  on ward 'adequate' but cursory. Patients slept in clothes, no attempt at personal hygiene, no one to assist with feeding or toileting. (Bed sores no longer considered the disgrace they used to be, and special mattress unavailable.)

Discharge some days later was equally chaotic, with a general lack of communication and a 10 hour wait after doctor declared patient well enough to go home, waiting for the official discharge letter and medications from pharmacy. 

This is not unusual. In fact a carbon copy of previous experience some weeks earlier. Over the course of 3 days going through A&E at various times of the day and night it was permanently packed with the walking wounded and worse. 

How on earth has it got like this? I'm not blaming the personnel as such who are run off their feet and do their best, but the government who have deliberately just watched this happen. They have known for years that this was on the cards with a growing population etc, but done nothing to increase doctor training, (plenty of worthy applicants unable to get places because universities have filled places with foreign students because they pay more.) Taxpayer's money is being hived off to greedy privatised companies.

IMO The NHS is being deliberately run into the ground to make way for an American type Insurance system which is one of the worst in the world -  Beware; if you are old, disabled or have a chronic illness (which could be any of us,) you won't get cover or be able to afford it and will be left out in the cold.

My bold

My thoughts too Anna. And like Sunak has shares in moderna (that was lucky and not at all dodgy) the elites will have shares in the private companies that get all the contracts. 

By the way, the patient is OK now yes? 

25 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

I rang my local surgery at 08:00 this Monday, got through by 08:10 and secured an appointment with a doctor at 09:20 (a medical doctor, Anna).

Lucky you.

But for every success there are now far more people struggling with this and finding it increasingly difficult.

I do not think the union leaders insisting on a 19% pay rise helped anything.

It took the focus off necessary changes to the system which the staff want.

All the media reported on was the wage demands and virtually ignored the need for changes to the system.

• Like 2

I have been to the R.H.H. twice this week and I am very satisfied with the treatment I received as I have been practically every time I have been. As for the G.P. booking service I agree with the idea that it is becoming  very difficult to book an appointment. I phoned the other day and all I got was a recorded message telling me that all the slots were booked for today and if it is serious ring 999.

Just now, Kidorry said:

I have been to the R.H.H. twice this week and I am very satisfied with the treatment I received as I have been, practically every time I have been. As for the G.P. booking service I agree with the idea that it is becoming  very difficult to book an appointment. I phoned the other day and all I got was a recorded message telling me that all the slots were booked for today and if it is serious ring 999.

9 hours ago, Anna B said:

You don't half whine about it, having read your previous posts I can't help thinking Just how much have you exaggerated this to fit your constant narrative against NHS and the government etc

3weeks ago had a G.P same day appointment and was sent to A&E, I had been there less 2hrs had a Cat scan, MRI scanned, camera up and down nose plus a ultrasound, on ward in less than 4hrs surgery same evening.  Further 5 days on ward on intravenous antibiotics 

guess what A&E is just for that, the walking wounded can and do get put to the back of the line whilst dealing with the real life threatening emergencies, even if I did walk in triage Nurse was under 15 minute wait and they sort, who deserves to go to the front of the queue. Not You.

3 famous words 

Get over it.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Jim Hardie said:

I rang my local surgery at 08:00 this Monday, got through by 08:10 and secured an appointment with a doctor at 09:20 (a medical doctor, Anna).

This is generally my experience of my local docs. Yes the phone lines are busy from half 8 when they open but I usually get through after a couple of tries, usually in later that day, staff are friendly etc etc.

Obviously depends on the individual surgery and staffing levels. 

The walking wounded that turn up at A&E often don't have a choice, they have nowhere else to go, be it for stitches, chest pains, breathing problems etc if doctors are not answering phones or granting appointments. 

The problem is A&E simply can't cope with the numbers, and there aren't enough beds available if they need to be admitted. 

Waiting lists for surgery is another area where waiting can be a matter of life or death, and living with terrible pain possibly for years is not a viable option.