Failing Nhs

54 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

The NHS needs to start running like a business not a charity

I dont think it should be privatised but we cant let the politicians and civil service run it anymore

We need a company to run it....i wonder if Elon Musk would be interested 

So much of it has been privatised it is pretty much run by companies, that and the big government companies like Serco and Capita.

And don't forget businesses are there to make a profit. Where is the profit in the NHS?

That's the problem with privatisation, the NHS is being ripped off good and proper so the shareholders can make a profit. 

3 hours ago, Anna B said:

So much of it has been privatised it is pretty much run by companies, that and the big government companies like Serco and Capita.

And don't forget businesses are there to make a profit. Where is the profit in the NHS?

That's the problem with privatisation, the NHS is being ripped off good and proper so the shareholders can make a profit. 

What about nursing staff working for agencies rather than the NHS to earn extra money. ?

What about doctors taking on private patients instead of devoting all their time to the NHS. ?

All i can say is that throughout the last month I have had the finest treatment at Western Park ,

Every thing has been spot on , the staff the most dedicated  possible .

I do not not think the attention and help that has come my way can be bettered World wide .

Totally agree with that Cuttsie.

6 hours ago, harvey19 said:

What about nursing staff working for agencies rather than the NHS to earn extra money. ?

What about doctors taking on private patients instead of devoting all their time to the NHS. ?

Do the nurses get extra for working in an agency, or, does it go to the agency? I had to go to the R.H.H. again today and was very disappointed to see that all the coffee shops were closed, and, apparently have been for a while. I was told I could go to the staff canteen on floor D.

Edited by Kidorry
added text
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, harvey19 said:

I do not think the union leaders insisting on a 19% pay rise helped anything.

It took the focus off necessary changes to the system which the staff want.

All the media reported on was the wage demands and virtually ignored the need for changes to the system.

They didn't 'insist' on 19%, they asked for 5% above the rate of inflation for 2022/23. Because that would already include the 5% imposed for 2022-23 by the Government that means they were opening their negotiation asking for around 12%. That sounds a lot but in reality it's just asking to be paid 5% more than they were paid in 2021-22, a sum that wouldn't even come close to restoring the nurses' wages back to what it was in real terms before 13 years of pay cuts.

More importantly nobody actually expected to get it. You don't go into a negotiation telling everyone the actual figures that you'd be willing to accept. And it didn't take the focus away from any change. The single most important change to the system required is the training and hiring of more nurses to fill the massive hole in staffing numbers that the Government themselves say is required to run a safe service. Fill those empty jobs and most other issues disappear. To do that you need to make the job more attractive to new starters/need to give existing staff a reason not to quit and the most basic way to do that is to pay a salary that doesn't go down each year. That's simple dignity and respect towards your employees and it's something that a lot of public sector staff haven't received at all in the last 13 years.

As for the media, most of them were never ever going to report on anything but the Government's line. Nothing the unions could have said or done was going to change the reality of how our partisan media reporting works in the UK.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Funky_Gibbon said:

They didn't 'insist' on 19%, they asked for 5% above the rate of inflation for 2022/23. Because that would already include the 5% imposed for 2022-23 by the Government that means they were opening their negotiation asking for around 12%. That sounds a lot but in reality it's just asking to be paid 5% more than they were paid in 2021-22, a sum that wouldn't even come close to restoring the nurses' wages back to what it was in real terms before 13 years of pay cuts.

More importantly nobody actually expected to get it. You don't go into a negotiation telling everyone the actual figures that you'd be willing to accept. And it didn't take the focus away from any change. The single most important change to the system required is the training and hiring of more nurses to fill the massive hole in staffing numbers that the Government themselves say is required to run a safe service. Fill those empty jobs and most other issues disappear. To do that you need to make the job more attractive to new starters/need to give existing staff a reason not to quit and the most basic way to do that is to pay a salary that doesn't go down each year. That's simple dignity and respect towards your employees and it's something that a lot of public sector staff haven't received at all in the last 13 years.

As for the media, most of them were never ever going to report on anything but the Government's line. Nothing the unions could have said or done was going to change the reality of how our partisan media reporting works in the UK.

Once 19% was mentioned it was obvious the media would pick up on this.

The leaders must have been aware of this .

We hardly heard about the changes needed to improve the service which the unions wanted.

9 hours ago, Kidorry said:

Totally agree with that Cuttsie.

Do the nurses get extra for working in an agency, or, does it go to the agency? I had to go to the R.H.H. again today and was very disappointed to see that all the coffee shops were closed, and, apparently have been for a while. I was told I could go to the staff canteen on floor D.

The nurses get paid more.

Tthe agency gets paid also I presume.

The treatment my wife received last year at the Royal Hallamshire Hospital was excellent.

It was very thorough and her appointments were made in a very short period of time.

The staff were very friendly, professional, effective and reassuring.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, harvey19 said:

My apologies if I’ve misunderstood the question, but they don’t use agency staff, they use ‘NHS Professionals’ to fill shifts. 

You can join NHSP and work extra to your NHS role, or some people just do NHSP.

Its the same rate of pay, but you can choose the shifts you want to work, and get paid weekly.

In my experience it’s more Support Workers, Domestics and Admin than Nurses tho.

“NHS Professionals is run by the NHS, for the NHS

We are not an agency. We are the leading provider of flexible workforce services to the NHS with more than130,000 healthcare professionals registered with our bank, across more than 50 NHS Trusts. We are the NHS’ managed bank and locum doctor service provider, working in partnership with a quarter of Acute and Mental Health Trusts across the UK.

Working in partnership with Trusts, our aim is to deliver ever more challenging service improvement plans by deploying a cost-effective, reliable and safe flexible workforce that saves money for clients while improving their bank productivity.   

We have an excellent track record of helping NHS trusts to merge their temporary workforce banks by harmonising policies, procedures and pay rates. Our workforce consultancy and project management capabilities are our core strengths.

We have saved our Trusts £70 million a year by supplying bank staff to hospitals that are more affordable than those staff supplied by expensive agencies”

https://www.nhsprofessionals.nhs.uk/partners#:~:text=NHS Professionals is run by,more than 50 NHS Trusts.

Edited by nikki-red