Failing Nhs

1 hour ago, nikki-red said:

My apologies if I’ve misunderstood the question, but they don’t use agency staff, they use ‘NHS Professionals’ to fill shifts. 

You can join NHSP and work extra to your NHS role, or some people just do NHSP.

Its the same rate of pay, but you can choose the shifts you want to work, and get paid weekly.

In my experience it’s more Support Workers, Domestics and Admin than Nurses tho.

“NHS Professionals is run by the NHS, for the NHS

We are not an agency. We are the leading provider of flexible workforce services to the NHS with more than130,000 healthcare professionals registered with our bank, across more than 50 NHS Trusts. We are the NHS’ managed bank and locum doctor service provider, working in partnership with a quarter of Acute and Mental Health Trusts across the UK.

Working in partnership with Trusts, our aim is to deliver ever more challenging service improvement plans by deploying a cost-effective, reliable and safe flexible workforce that saves money for clients while improving their bank productivity.   

We have an excellent track record of helping NHS trusts to merge their temporary workforce banks by harmonising policies, procedures and pay rates. Our workforce consultancy and project management capabilities are our core strengths.

We have saved our Trusts £70 million a year by supplying bank staff to hospitals that are more affordable than those staff supplied by expensive agencies”

https://www.nhsprofessionals.nhs.uk/partners#:~:text=NHS Professionals is run by,more than 50 NHS Trusts.

I think there is a difference between “bank staff” and “ agency workers”.

12 hours ago, Funky_Gibbon said:

They didn't 'insist' on 19%, they asked for 5% above the rate of inflation for 2022/23. Because that would already include the 5% imposed for 2022-23 by the Government that means they were opening their negotiation asking for around 12%. That sounds a lot but in reality it's just asking to be paid 5% more than they were paid in 2021-22, a sum that wouldn't even come close to restoring the nurses' wages back to what it was in real terms before 13 years of pay cuts.

More importantly nobody actually expected to get it. You don't go into a negotiation telling everyone the actual figures that you'd be willing to accept. And it didn't take the focus away from any change. The single most important change to the system required is the training and hiring of more nurses to fill the massive hole in staffing numbers that the Government themselves say is required to run a safe service. Fill those empty jobs and most other issues disappear. To do that you need to make the job more attractive to new starters/need to give existing staff a reason not to quit and the most basic way to do that is to pay a salary that doesn't go down each year. That's simple dignity and respect towards your employees and it's something that a lot of public sector staff haven't received at all in the last 13 years.

As for the media, most of them were never ever going to report on anything but the Government's line. Nothing the unions could have said or done was going to change the reality of how our partisan media reporting works in the UK.

That's very well put and I agree entirely.

Some people can't get away from that 19% mainly due to following the media instead of thinking for themselves..

The fact that really counts is the governments refusal to negotiate for so long, dragged the dispute out.

It could all have been settled, easier and earlier if the government had not been so pig headed and tried to play tough.

If you want  nurses, you are going to have to pay them properly, no matter what your personal wishes are.

1 hour ago, Organgrinder said:

That's very well put and I agree entirely.

Some people can't get away from that 19% mainly due to following the media instead of thinking for themselves..

The fact that really counts is the governments refusal to negotiate for so long, dragged the dispute out.

It could all have been settled, easier and earlier if the government had not been so pig headed and tried to play tough.

If you want  nurses, you are going to have to pay them properly, no matter what your personal wishes are.

19% was stated.

If they had asked for a reasonable amount negotiations would have probably ended earlier.

My main point which you ignore is that the conditions to service were not seen to be as important as salaries.

You appear to think money is the answer to everything.

5 hours ago, nikki-red said:

My apologies if I’ve misunderstood the question, but they don’t use agency staff, they use ‘NHS Professionals’ to fill shifts. 

You can join NHSP and work extra to your NHS role, or some people just do NHSP.

Its the same rate of pay, but you can choose the shifts you want to work, and get paid weekly.

In my experience it’s more Support Workers, Domestics and Admin than Nurses tho.

“NHS Professionals is run by the NHS, for the NHS

We are not an agency. We are the leading provider of flexible workforce services to the NHS with more than130,000 healthcare professionals registered with our bank, across more than 50 NHS Trusts. We are the NHS’ managed bank and locum doctor service provider, working in partnership with a quarter of Acute and Mental Health Trusts across the UK.

Working in partnership with Trusts, our aim is to deliver ever more challenging service improvement plans by deploying a cost-effective, reliable and safe flexible workforce that saves money for clients while improving their bank productivity.   

We have an excellent track record of helping NHS trusts to merge their temporary workforce banks by harmonising policies, procedures and pay rates. Our workforce consultancy and project management capabilities are our core strengths.

We have saved our Trusts £70 million a year by supplying bank staff to hospitals that are more affordable than those staff supplied by expensive agencies”

https://www.nhsprofessionals.nhs.uk/partners#:~:text=NHS Professionals is run by,more than 50 NHS Trusts.

In that case, our taxes should have gone down and/or the service improved.

The opposite is true.

Our taxes have gone up and the service has gone down.

Ps. Crucial question, which needs close examination. Who owns and/or administers 'the bank?'

Edited by Anna B

• 1 month later...

I hear that Starmer is to make a major speech tomorrow, 22/05/23, outlining Labour's vision for a future NHS which will include revised performance targets, reforming the system & increase use of the private sector.  Now if this was Sunak that was prposing such change, many would already be frothing at the mouth about protecting their precious NHS. 

But Starmer, (even though I wouldn't consider voting for Blair Lite), is right.  You can't keep chucking taxpayers money at a business model that hasn't basically changed since its 1940's inception, without reforming both the business model & the practices within it.   

Reform should have happened naturally as the NHS developed over the decades but the NHS has somehow been off limits to reform or criticism & that's why it's become an archaic, money swallowing machine with failing services. 

6 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

I hear that Starmer is to make a major speech tomorrow, 22/05/23, outlining Labour's vision for a future NHS which will include revised performance targets, reforming the system & increase use of the private sector.  Now if this was Sunak that was prposing such change, many would already be frothing at the mouth about protecting their precious NHS. 

But Starmer, (even though I wouldn't consider voting for Blair Lite), is right.  You can't keep chucking taxpayers money at a business model that hasn't basically changed since its 1940's inception, without reforming both the business model & the practices within it.   

Reform should have happened naturally as the NHS developed over the decades but the NHS has somehow been off limits to reform or criticism & that's why it's become an archaic, money swallowing machine with failing services. 

The left want the NHS to fail because they can use it as a weapon against the government

It doesnt matter how much money we throw at it there will always be something thats not perfect

So we need to take the NHS out of politics and start running it like a business not a charity 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jack Grey said:

The left want the NHS to fail because they can use it as a weapon against the government

It doesnt matter how much money we throw at it there will always be something thats not perfect

So we need to take the NHS out of politics and start running it like a business not a charity 

They been doing that since the 1980s.

And look how well that's turned out :rolleyes:

On 23/03/2023 at 23:46, The_DADDY said:

My bold

My thoughts too Anna. And like Sunak has shares in moderna (that was lucky and not at all dodgy) the elites will have shares in the private companies that get all the contracts. 

By the way, the patient is OK now yes? 

The NHS has been mismanaged for decades, through Labour governments as well as Conservative.

The real problem is the management of the NHS yet no-one is talking about it.

The same bosses that claim every year that they're underfunded by the government.

When Conservatives took over in 2013 the NHS budget annually was £112 billion, now in 2023, a decade later it's ~£188 billion

Accounting for inflation, that's almost a £30 billion increase in funding.

If the NHS didn't waste billions each year they could afford better wages and resources but the managment is too busy lining their retirement nest eggs by locking trusts to specific supplies who then add massive mark ups on basic items, sometimes upwards of 4000% above retail price (not trade) 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Resident said:

When Conservatives took over in 2013 the NHS budget annually was £112 billion, now in 2023, a decade later it's ~£188 billion

Accounting for inflation, that's almost a £30 billion increase in funding.

Thats the promised £350 million per week and more

• Like 1