Have The French Got The Right Idea?

Just now, m williamson said:

Ever occurred to you that some of us ran our own businesses and are now retired? Should have thought that was a pretty obvious thing to have considered.

You're quite correct about not having the time for this nonsense when actually being involved in business. Which presumably means that you aren't involved in running a business either?

Well done Sherlock!

But I am constantly bringing my business career into the topics, in an attempt to counter some of the anti-common sense nonsense out there!  

Folks complain I do it too much!  :)

15 minutes ago, trastrick said:

Cudda fooled me!  :)

Don't see anything on here about small business affairs!

Mostly whinging about befeetits, the Health Scheme, and making the rich pay their "fair" share! and gender bending!

Folks with a lot of time on their hands..

When you're running a business, I can assure you you would have no time for this stuff!  :)

Oh, and I don't need a bunch of grinning anonymous clapping seals to validate my existence!

Don't see many Real Heeleyites on here, from the good old days. They had the gonads to put there names to their insults!

Don't make me larf!

In case you hadn't noticed, this is not a business forum.

Having run a business but now retired, I am not much interested in business anyway.

The discussion in hand is about the French people being annoyed at pension age changes.

You're obviously one of those who knows, neither where he is and also, what he's talking about.

When you do have time, it wouldn't help to brush up on your spelling and grammar. You sound more like a cockney than a Carter Place kid.

At least, you managed to post without links & pics.  That makes a change.  It's better when you speak for yourself.

13 minutes ago, trastrick said:

Well done Sherlock!

But I am constantly bringing my business career into the topics, in an attempt to counter some of the anti-common sense nonsense out there!  

Folks complain I do it too much!  :)

I wonder why?

bragging as usual!

1 hour ago, top4718 said:

Try working on a building site at that age.

If our pension age had been raised to 68 as was mooted this week we'd have just accepted it and carried on, I'd prefer the French approach.

That's a good point which is often forgotten by politicians who spend their lives sat on their backsides (and often in a bar)

Some people work at jobs which are very physically demanding and yet governments tend to think that everyone is an office worker.

The work from home advice, for instance.   The pensions secretary will not realise that It's not the same for everyone.

I was self employed and  worked in a shop full of big machines and the job entailed some heavy lifting so you can't do that from a desk at home.

16 minutes ago, Axe said:

Very embarrassing for France that the state visit of King Charles III has been postponed at the request of their president due to the French lawless mob. 

It's not in the least bit embarrassing for France, why should it be? France is a Republic, it dispensed with the nonsense of monarchy over 200 years ago.

Republicans believe in equality, monarchists believe they have ' betters ' and those ' betters ' must receive deference.

As far as the cancellation of the state visit is concerned it will be received with a Gallic shrug,  if that. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, m williamson said:

It's not in the least bit embarrassing for France, why should it be? France is a Republic, it dispensed with the nonsense of monarchy over 200 years ago.

Republicans believe in equality, monarchists believe they have ' betters ' and those ' betters ' must receive deference.

As far as the cancellation of the state visit is concerned it will be received with a Gallic shrug,  if that. 

Of course it is embarrassing for France.  It is irrelevant that France is a republic.  

28 minutes ago, Axe said:

Of course it is embarrassing for France.  It is irrelevant that France is a republic.  

It is entirely relevant that France is a Republic. It means that the French do not regard royalty as anything special, they are simply people, the same as the rest of us, no more, no less.

Would you be embarrassed if we were having industrial riots as we did a few years ago  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-36944509 and some foreign Head of State had a visit rearranged?

I wouldn't, again a shrug of the shoulders would suffice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Axe said:

Very embarrassing for France that the state visit of King Charles III has been postponed at the request of their president due to the French lawless mob. 

Macron had invited Charles to a banquet at the Palace of Versailles. I don’t know if you’re aware Westy but protesters marching on Versailles hasn’t ended well for Kings in the past.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Axe said:

Not irrelevant at all.

They don't believe in monarchies, which is why they got rid of their own so, why should they want to see ours.

They probably all think that we are stupid for putting up with it.

Edited by Organgrinder

37 minutes ago, Mister Gee said:

Macron had invited Charles to a banquet at the Palace of Versailles. I don’t know if you’re aware Westy but protesters marching on Versailles hasn’t ended well for Kings in the past.

An embarrassing contribution.

18 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Not irrelevant at all.

They don't believe in monarchies, which is why they got rid of their own so, why should they want to see ours.

They probably all think that we are stupid for putting up with it.

Another embarrassing contribution.

• Sad 1