The Moor, Sheffield

So, had a free day today so decided to get a bus from Bakewell to Sheffield as it's been so many years since I visited the center.

Hopped off at the old Isabella's nightclub and had a wander down the Moor.

Good grief, it's like a different planet.

After meandering around the numerous charity workers who try and accost you and then saying " sorry I have no spare change" to 3 folk wanting money off me I finally made it into the market. 

It looks like a massive waiting room full of folk either on medication or extras for a zombie movie!  I decided to have a bite but was unable to find a seat in the dining area  due to folk just sitting there with no food or drink, so I ended up standing whilst eating my lukewarm pork sandwich.  After this I ventured out into the abyss to be deafened by an individual singing an Elvis Presley track whilst wafting away cigarette smoke from my face at every turn.

Numerous young girls, who looked around 15 years old pushing prams with screaming kids a plenty did nothing to temper my disappointment of my afternoon so I waddled into Poundland to escape the madness, but no.....it was full of rowdy teenagers and screaming mums.  Luckily I found amusement in watching a cashier trying to explain to a foreign lady that it was only a 2 for 1 offer, not 5 for 1!!

I turned left towards the bottom where there was a round kiosk selling tea and coffee that was surrounded by what was surely a gang of day release inmates so I avoided that and decided to to head up to the new cinema complex which I believe used to be Debenhams, thinking it would be a sparkling gem of a place.....but no, a dark, empty walkway with only a Nandos open greeted me.  Seriously...is that the end result?

What an absolute mess of an area of Sheffield city Centre!!

Leeds, Manchester, Newcastle, Liverpool must be absolutely laughing their heads off.

I came home feeling like I needed a shower.

44 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

Leeds, Manchester, Newcastle, Liverpool must be absolutely laughing their heads off.

Add Milton Keynes to that list, we were in the area last year and were floored by the cost of car parking... a whopping £1 for 2 hours.

1 hour ago, Al Bundy said:

So, had a free day today so decided to get a bus from Bakewell to Sheffield as it's been so many years since I visited the center.

After meandering around the numerous charity workers who try and accost you and then saying " sorry I have no spare change" to 3 folk wanting money off me I finally made it into the market. 

It looks like a massive waiting room full of folk either on medication or extras for a zombie movie!  I decided to have a bite but was unable to find a seat in the dining area  due to folk just sitting there with no food or drink, so I ended up standing whilst eating my lukewarm pork sandwich.  After this I ventured out into the abyss to be deafened by an individual singing an Elvis Presley track whilst wafting away cigarette smoke from my face at every turn.

Numerous young girls, who looked around 15 years old pushing prams with screaming kids a plenty did nothing to temper my disappointment of my afternoon so I waddled into Poundland to escape the madness, but no.....it was full of rowdy teenagers and screaming mums.  Luckily I found amusement in watching a cashier trying to explain to a foreign lady that it was only a 2 for 1 offer, not 5 for 1!!

I turned left towards the bottom where there was a round kiosk selling tea and coffee that was surrounded by what was surely a gang of day release inmates so I avoided that and decided to to head up to the new cinema complex which I believe used to be Debenhams, thinking it would be a sparkling gem of a place.....but no, a dark, empty walkway with only a Nandos open greeted me.  Seriously...is that the end result?

Absolutely spot on Al.

Mirrors the post I've just posted on "Sheffield is Awful" thread.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Al Bundy said:

Glad someone else thinks the same as me.

Someone I usually disagree with too.

It's a damned disgrace and, If I were a city councillor or planner,  I'd keep very quiet about it.

57 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Glad someone else thinks the same as me.

Someone I usually disagree with too.

It's a damned disgrace and, If I were a city councillor or planner,  I'd keep very quiet about it.

Hmmm... :huh:

They've already been keeping quiet about it for some time now, Mr Grinder!

It's surprising (not really) just how many people on here seem to know the 'inner workings' of SCC and will defend them and make excuses for them for hours on end, day after day...

... but they "definitely DON'T work for the council". :hihi:

But then again, I suppose ANYONE would be too embarrassed to admit that THEIR OWN incompetence is part of the reason the place is in the mess it is! :roll:

In fact the Moor has improved in the last 5 years, and I'm delighted to see much higher footfall there. Worth pointing out too that just above the Moor on Carver Street, new park is being built and just across the road there are new developments (think there will be a new food court, though not sure).

Sadly Fargate is suffering as the Moor has improved. It does make me wonder whether Sheffield Centre is just too spread out to make it viable.

I like Sheffield City Centre. I always feel safe. I like the recent developments - Winter Gardens, Charter Square, Tudor Square, the new Moor Markets and Fitzallan Square. So much better than they were before.

The OP mentioned Manchester and Leeds. Speaking as someone who has lived in both those cities as well as Sheffield, I can honestly say the social issues in both those cities are much, much worse than they are in Sheffield. 

It's easy to go to either of those cities and be dazzled by the shops and what the centre has to offer, and Manchester especially with the Museum of Science and Industry is fantastic. But if you lived in either of those cities, you'd soon see the problems. It's a case of 'the grass is always greener'

Yes it's easy to disparage a city on social media, I'd much rather somebody did so from the position of actually having done something practical to try and improve things.

EDIT: I will say one thing for Manchester and Leeds. Thy have their champions in the media and newspapers. Not just people who were born there, but 'honorary Northerners' involved in the local music scene in Manchester, have for years been singing it's praises. 

It does pee me off that there are some people, who apparently don't even live in Sheffield but come on here and run it down. Okay, look down your nose at Sheffield, go to Leeds or Manchester instead. Oh by the way, they have much higher crime rates in their city centres than Sheffield does. So when you do go there because you're too good for Sheffield, just make sure you hold on to your wallets and purses.:rant:

Edited by Mister M
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Mister M said:

In fact the Moor has improved in the last 5 years, and I'm delighted to see much higher footfall there. Worth pointing out too that just above the Moor on Carver Street, new park is being built and just across the road there are new developments (think there will be a new food court, though not sure).

Sadly Fargate is suffering as the Moor has improved. It does make me wonder whether Sheffield Centre is just too spread out to make it viable.

I like Sheffield City Centre. I always feel safe. I like the recent developments - Winter Gardens, Charter Square, Tudor Square, the new Moor Markets and Fitzallan Square. So much better than they were before.

The OP mentioned Manchester and Leeds. Speaking as someone who has lived in both those cities as well as Sheffield, I can honestly say the social issues in both those cities are much, much worse than they are in Sheffield. 

It's easy to go to either of those cities and be dazzled by the shops and what the centre has to offer, and Manchester especially with the Museum of Science and Industry is fantastic. But if you lived in either of those cities, you'd soon see the problems. It's a case of 'the grass is always greener'

Yes it's easy to disparage a city on social media, I'd much rather somebody did so from the position of actually having done something practical to try and improve things.

And I'd much rather SCC employed people who were capable of doing the job they are being paid to do! :roll:

4 minutes ago, Mr Bloke said:

And I'd much rather SCC employed people who were capable of doing the job they are being paid to do! :roll:

Get yourself a job there then, or stand for election and become a local councillor.

• Haha 1