The Moor, Sheffield

27 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Was in there about 4 weeks ago. 

So what was so good about Castle Market? I mean apart from the atmosphere - though I'm not sure what that atmosphere was, might've been the flies buzzing around the butcher's stalls.

Edited by Mister M

6 hours ago, Mister M said:

So what was so good about Castle Market? I mean apart from the atmosphere - though I'm not sure what that atmosphere was, might've been the flies buzzing around the butcher's stalls.

"All Castle Market needed was some new gents toilets and a fresh lick of paint".

Cuttsie, 2013

Edited by HeHasRisen

9 hours ago, Mister M said:

I seem to remember the Castle Market having empty stalls in the years leading up to its closure. Plus the fact that it was dilapidated. 

Sure there are empty stalls in the market. I live fairly close by the market, and I get my fruit and veg from there because I find it cheaper and better quality than the supermarkets.

I also think that the council are reintroducing free buses for eligible people around the centre. Don't know any more details than that.

I assume you are talking about the mini-bus operated 'Sheffield Connect' 'service' , which in all but a very small section duplicates other services, is not 'free' and has a patronage of about 20 people a day. One of Dan Jarvis's bright ideas which is costing SYMCA (and therefore you) a lot of money for no return.

The OP complains about charity workers asking for money, buskers, parents with unruly kids, and then goes onto to say that other city centres must be 'laughing their heads off'. Really? No other city centre has buskers, parents with unruly kids or charity workers? Don't make me laugh.

I said that other cities must see the state of The Moor and laugh their heads off.

Are you seriously suggesting that Manchester, Liverpool, Newcastle and Leeds centers are inferior to Sheffield?

It could be like the TV film Threads, where the woman ont' Moor peed herself as she saw the mushroom cloud erupt somewhere behind the Town Hall!

Rumour has it that the aforementioned pee will be cleaned up any time soon...

😉

2 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

He did say free for "eligible people", to be fair to him.

The same people who are eligible for free use of any of the bus/tram services, with the added 'advantage' that if you had a paper ticket from one of the other services, it is 'free' - although you've obviously paid for that original ticket.

And it still duplicates already existing services.

Well hang on, how far back are we going? I've been in Sheffield about 32 years, and I don't remember that atmosphere - especially on the Moor. The Moor back then was deserted. Sure, Fargate was busier but then there were a lot more shops, and they hadn't just endured a pandemic. 

There's a danger of looking back at your home city and thinking it was great when you were kids, because as youngsters you didn't have responsibilities. I don't look back to the 1970s and 1980s with any sense of nostalgia simply because it was a bloody awful time what with unemployment and misery everywhere. 

The only thing good about the good old days was the music of the time. 

Everywhere?

Are you sure?

You can’t open up so many out of town shopping centres whilst closing all but one of it’s department stores and expect it to be a place where ordinary folk congregate. It will become what it becomes, for good or for bad, only time will tell.