The Moor, Sheffield

2 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

It had plenty of shops with lots of variety.

It was bustling at the weekend and sometimes during the week too. As Padders rightly said it had atmosphere,  a great nightlife, good public transport, roads you could drive on etc. I mean really, you can't compare town then and now. Sure it had its rough edges back then but it certainly wasn't infested with spice heads like it is now.

As I've already pointed out.

Times are changing, fast.

People no longer want to go into City Centres, they much prefer to jump in their zoomers and travel to a shopping complex, and wander round in their shirt sleeves.

City Centres have become a haven for the Druggies and Beggars.

And it's only going to get worse.

5 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

It had plenty of shops with lots of variety.

It was bustling at the weekend and sometimes during the week too. As Padders rightly said it had atmosphere,  a great nightlife, good public transport, roads you could drive on etc. I mean really, you can't compare town then and now. Sure it had its rough edges back then but it certainly wasn't infested with spice heads like it is now.

You mention the abundance of good shops, sure there was Redmans, C&A, Mothercare, Fopp, Rackhams, T.J. Hughes etc. Was it all Sheffield City Council's fault that they went bust or decided not to trade from the City Centre. Public Transport, yes I'll give you that. The people who I work with remember fondly getting a bus ride for tuppence; but again was it the council's decision to deregulate the buses. However I do seem to remember that the council worked hard to get the Supertram. I can't comment on the roads 'cos I don't drive. All these nightclubs that have gone, once again is that down to the council, or is that something to do with wider cultural changes is how people choose to spend their leisyre time?

3 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Well hang on, how far back are we going? I've been in Sheffield about 32 years, and I don't remember that atmosphere - especially on the Moor. The Moor back then was deserted. Sure, Fargate was busier but then there were a lot more shops, and they hadn't just endured a pandemic. 

There's a danger of looking back at your home city and thinking it was great when you were kids, because as youngsters you didn't have responsibilities. I don't look back to the 1970s and 1980s with any sense of nostalgia simply because it was a bloody awful time what with unemployment and misery everywhere. 

The only thing good about the good old days was the music of the time. 

The Moor Market was open before any pandemic and had  loads of empty stalls at the time it opened and still has .

1 minute ago, hackey lad said:

The Moor Market was open before any pandemic and had  loads of empty stalls at the time it opened and still has .

I seem to remember the Castle Market having empty stalls in the years leading up to its closure. Plus the fact that it was dilapidated. 

Sure there are empty stalls in the market. I live fairly close by the market, and I get my fruit and veg from there because I find it cheaper and better quality than the supermarkets.

I also think that the council are reintroducing free buses for eligible people around the centre. Don't know any more details than that.

7 minutes ago, Padders said:

As I've already pointed out.

Times are changing, fast.

People no longer want to go into City Centres, they much prefer to jump in their zoomers and travel to a shopping complex, and wander round in their shirt sleeves.

City Centres have become a haven for the Druggies and Beggars.

And it's only going to get worse.

I think you're certainly right that people's shopping habits are changing, and city centres as well as being retail centres, but places where people want to live, study, and maybe have a bite to eat and watch a film. And that's not particular to Sheffield, that's all city centres. The council have to adapt.

I'm not keen on Meadowhall, I'd much rather it hadn't opened, and the shops were concentrated in the city centre. But there you go.

8 minutes ago, Mister M said:

I seem to remember the Castle Market having empty stalls in the years leading up to its closure. Plus the fact that it was dilapidated. 

Sure there are empty stalls in the market. I live fairly close by the market, and I get my fruit and veg from there because I find it cheaper and better quality than the supermarkets.

I also think that the council are reintroducing free buses for eligible people around the centre. Don't know any more details than that.

I think you're certainly right that people's shopping habits are changing, and city centres as well as being retail centres, but places where people want to live, study, and maybe have a bite to eat and watch a film. And that's not particular to Sheffield, that's all city centres. The council have to adapt.

I'm not keen on Meadowhall, I'd much rather it hadn't opened, and the shops were concentrated in the city centre. But there you go.

Do you remember a Sheffield councillor telling all and sundry they had a massive waiting list for a stall in the new market ?   It never materialised  .  It was Leigh Bramall , he bailed out sharpish 

Edited by hackey lad

2 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Do you remember a Sheffield councillor telling all and sundry they had a massive waiting list for a stall in the new market ?   It never materialised  .  It was Leigh Bramall , he bailed out sharpish 

No I don't remember....But I do shop at the Moor Market. It's never going to get better if people run it down and don't shop there.

12 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Hmmmm, who okay'd the meadohall development?

3 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Tell thi wat Hackey,

As we head to WW3 Sheffield will be safe.

Nobody will bomb Sheffield to make it better.