Sheffield Is Awfull These Days

6 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Yes, it is another family lost.

You only quote the bits which suit your argument.

He also said     Never again will we go to town.

SCC are you listening to all the comments?

Do you want people to come once and decide they will never come again?

City centres are not just about shops but,  all other major cities have many more than Sheffield and that is what most visitors want.

SCC are you listening to these comments.

NO they just keep making excuses and pretending everything's fine and that's why we are in this state.

If you read their post properly, they have been before but haven’t done for years and have only come back to fulfil a legal obligation.

With due respect to them, that isn’t the kind of visitor who is going to affect the vibrancy and prosperity of the city centre in any meaningful way. It’s sad that they’ve been put off, but they would probably face the same issue if they visited any major city or large town. That is the going rate for parking in the middle of town. I dare say it can be a bit of a surprise if you haven’t visited for a decade or so.

Things aren’t “fine” in most city centres with regard to retail. There have been major store closures in all of them. Many of the major high streets are struggling, it’s not just here.

Most councils are wrestling with the fall out from this and trying different ways to make the best use of their city centres. It’s the same here.

Part of the problem I see is that people here like to compare us with Leeds and Manchester, which isn’t a good comparison because in terms of the city regions (ie the travel to work area) they are much bigger in population terms, so are more attractive to investment. Government funding also often comes on a per capita basis, so they get more money to spend on things like transport improvements, which adds to the impression that there’s more happening there.

Having cheaper Council parking is not going to address the issues being faced by our city centre.

36 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

If you read their post properly, they have been before but haven’t done for years and have only come back to fulfil a legal obligation.

With due respect to them, that isn’t the kind of visitor who is going to affect the vibrancy and prosperity of the city centre in any meaningful way. It’s sad that they’ve been put off, but they would probably face the same issue if they visited any major city or large town. That is the going rate for parking in the middle of town. I dare say it can be a bit of a surprise if you haven’t visited for a decade or so.

Things aren’t “fine” in most city centres with regard to retail. There have been major store closures in all of them. Many of the major high streets are struggling, it’s not just here.

Most councils are wrestling with the fall out from this and trying different ways to make the best use of their city centres. It’s the same here.

Part of the problem I see is that people here like to compare us with Leeds and Manchester, which isn’t a good comparison because in terms of the city regions (ie the travel to work area) they are much bigger in population terms, so are more attractive to investment. Government funding also often comes on a per capita basis, so they get more money to spend on things like transport improvements, which adds to the impression that there’s more happening there.

Having cheaper Council parking is not going to address the issues being faced by our city centre.

Sheffield, back in  the day before the demise of industry, was on level par with Leeds (who had the wool trade.)

Since the demise of both industries, Leeds has surged ahead in terms of recovery and  investment.

In the early days Leeds managed to attract The Royal Armouries (surely that at least  should have gone to  Sheffield?) Northern Ballet, Opera North and Harvey Nics, amongst others, with strong decisive bidding from their City Councils. 

Leed's importance has grown exponentially ever since. 

Any of those could have been Sheffield's with the right bids. We also lost Railways to Doncaster, (OK, a long time ago due to the intransigence of the Duke of Norfolk,) Television to Manchester and Film to Bradford (which is also on the up.)  

Even now, Sheffield has very little to boast about, and even if it had our Council publicity department would fail us. We did however make the National news with our failing  Museum of Popular Music, airport (sold for £1) and  tree felling....

I'm sorry, but at least some of this has to be down to the **** poor performance of our Council. 

Edited by Anna B
  • Like 2

it is many a long year since I left Sheffield (1966) and when I left there were steelworks,a thriving city centre etc.etc.Nowadays whenever I return to places I have lived in or near they are unrecognisable.I used to go to York but visited last year and decided never to go again,same with glasgow,edinburgh,london etc. and to a large extent the smaller towns have gone the same way!Out of town the roadsides are covered in litter etc.I personally blame the people that live and work in those areas for the downfall.People need to reset to the 1950/60 era,when a child would be smacked for misbehaving,people wore suits (where appropriate) to go to work,people were polite and friendly,your shop assistant addressed you as sir or madam,the company managing director and your school teacher got respect as did the police (when we had local bobbies)!!!!!!!

Edited by dsweetman
additional wording

52 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

EXCUSES EXCUSES.

NOTHING EVER CHANGES

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

That's why I referred to the 'cabinet' ie real decision makers in the council. 

Someone has to be held accountable, with something to lose. (1)

There are others in the Council with fresh ideas to take their place. They don't usually get a look in. (2)

I don't see why good plans/ initiatives should be 'frozen' if the new cabinet think they are a good idea. Maybe needs a fresh vote, but I don't know how independent individual councillors can be. (3)

Are they 'whipped' into supporting the party line? IMO they should all be able to vote independently depending on the efficacy of the idea/ proposal (4)

(1)So you want permanent disorganisation within the council - then nothing gets done, because we are constantly voting for new councillors.

(2) Who?

(3) Because things take time to plan and execute, and - despite appearances - there has to be some co-ordination between what is possible and what is practicable.

(4) There has to be some form of agreement on a way forward, otherwise my comment in point (1) stands. In the case of SCC (and most councils), a political party has a majority, so that party's policies get enacted - sadly, not usually very well.

14 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

Now, it's only known for snooker.

When that goes to China, we will not be known at all.

Don't think that's going to happen - the Chinese are all coming here. Have you not noticed just how many Chinese faces there are in the city centre?

And as for snooker, their top player Ding Junhui has settled here, setting up his own Snooker Academy in the city.

• Like 1

Just now, Victor Meldrew said:

Don't think that's going to happen - the Chinese are all coming here. Have you not noticed just how many Chinese faces there are in the city centre?

And as for snooker, their top player Ding Junhui has settled here, setting up his own Snooker Academy in the city.

Ding has only settled here because the world Championship takes place here.

At the end of the day, money talks and the Chinese have plenty whilst we have none.

There are already many top players who would be happy to let China have the World Championship knowing that there would be more and bigger prizes.

1 minute ago, Organgrinder said:

Ding has only settled here because the world Championship takes place here.

At the end of the day, money talks and the Chinese have plenty whilst we have none.

There are already many top players who would be happy to let China have the World Championship knowing that there would be more and bigger prizes.

You read minds as well, now?