Demand Outstrips Supply : 'Rents Go Through The Roof As Landlords Sell Up'

>>Chekhov said:

More to the point, I note you have not questioned the essential issue : if there's a shortage of rented properties, partly because it's so much hassle being a landlord, how is making it even more hassle going to improve the situation ?<<

6 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

Ask the Tories.  They're in charge and have been for a long long time.

Do you ever actually read the posts you answer ?

Landlord licences is a Labour policy, as are property MOTs and even less power for landlords (relative to tenants).

But, even if it was a Tory policy, you still haven't answered the question :

if there's a shortage of rented properties, partly because it's so much hassle being a landlord, how is making it even more hassle going to improve the situation ?

Edited by Chekhov

1 hour ago, Chekhov said:

>>Chekhov said:

More to the point, I note you have not questioned the essential issue : if there's a shortage of rented properties, partly because it's so much hassle being a landlord, how is making it even more hassle going to improve the situation ?<<

Do you ever actually read the posts you answer ?

Landlord licences is a Labour policy, as are property MOTs and even less power for landlords (relative to tenants).

But, even if it was a Tory policy, you still haven't answered the question :

if there's a shortage of rented properties, partly because it's so much hassle being a landlord, how is making it even more hassle going to improve the situation ?

It must also be a tory policy if they've been in power 13 years and kept it going all this time.

As they are the governing party,  it's them you need to shout at.

If there's a shortage of rental properties,  and we know there is,   The government should be building millions more.

Mollycoddling private landlords  won't improve the situation,  so just get rid of the properties if you're not happy with the way things are.

Someone can then buy them and live in them, and that will have finally helped the shortage.

You are not bothered about the shortage of properties,  you are bothered about filling your pockets.

Edited by Organgrinder

4 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

It must also be a tory policy if they've been in power 13 years and kept it going all this time.

If there's a shortage of rental properties,  and we know there is,   The government should be building millions more.

Mollycoddling private landlords  won't improve the situation,  so just get rid of the properties if you're not happy with the way things are.

Someone can then buy them and live in them, and that will have finally helped the shortage.

You are not bothered about the shortage of properties,  you are bothered about filling your pockets.

Should our council be building more homes?

8 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

As far as I understand it this is a council policy.

I may be wrong, but ,even if I am, my point remains, if there is a shortage of rental properties because, at least in part, it is such a PITA these days to be a landlord, how is making it an even bigger PITA going to help ?

Mollycoddling private landlords  won't improve the situation

Patently you know nothing about it. But I will give you a chance to prove me wrong, how exactly are landlords "mollycoddled" ?

Incidentally, why should property rental be any different from any other area of commerce ? Some people do not want to, or cannot afford to, rent a more expensive property. Who are the government to say, no, we will not let you rent a cheap property because we consider needs improving. You must pay more.

Edited by Chekhov

>>Someone can then buy them and live in them, and that will have finally helped the shortage.<<

You don't get it do you #1

Many people cannot afford to buy or simply do not want to, esp with stamp duty making it expensive to move house.

I am assuming you are in favour of stamp duty as you seem to be in favour of pretty much all other taxes.

>>You are not bothered about the shortage of properties,  you are bothered about filling your pockets.<<

You don't get it do you #2

I am not a Landlord out of choice, it is simply that my shop has two flats over it. I would not advise anybody to become a landlord these days, though if you are lucky enough to get good tenants it's not too bad (I would recommend landlords being very fussy about who you get in as a tenant, even if it means the property is empty for longer whilst waiting for the right tenants).

So, if there is a shortage of rental properties that drives up the price and therefore helps me "fill my pockets", as you put it.

The irony here is that, if my pleas in the wilderness had any effect, and the government reversed years of bias and started encouraging people to become landlords again (by simplifying it and restoring the balance of tenant/landlord power), the supply would go up, the price would fall, and my pockets would be less full.

So you're wrong again, 180 degrees wrong, again.......

Actually, my tenants have been in 10 years and 13 years so they must be happy, again contradicting your implication I am a landlord only concerned with ripping people off and providing substandard and dangerous accommodation. 

Edited by Chekhov

We tried renting out to private tenants but found the whole thing too tedious. What with late/none payers, demands for immediate action in respect of very minor matters such as light bulb replacement (even when they had a stock), not for us thanks very much.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chekhov said:

>>Someone can then buy them and live in them, and that will have finally helped the shortage.<<

You don't get it do you #1

Many people cannot afford to buy or simply do not want to, esp with stamp duty making it expensive to move house.

I am assuming you are in favour of stamp duty as you seem to be in favour of pretty much all other taxes.

>>You are not bothered about the shortage of properties,  you are bothered about filling your pockets.<<

You don't get it do you #2

I am not a Landlord out of choice, it is simply that my shop has two flats over it. I would not advise anybody to become a landlord these days, though if you are lucky enough to get good tenants it's not too bad (I would recommend landlords being very fussy about who you get in as a tenant, even if it means the property is empty for longer whilst waiting for the right tenants).

So, if there is a shortage of rental properties that drives up the price and therefore helps me "fill my pockets", as you put it.

The irony here is that, if my pleas in the wilderness had any effect, and the government reversed years of bias and started encouraging people to become landlords again (by simplifying it and restoring the balance of tenant/landlord power), the supply would go up, the price would fall, and my pockets would be less full.

So you're wrong again, 180 degrees wrong, again.......

Actually, my tenants have been in 10 years and 13 years so they must be happy, again contradicting your implication I am a landlord only concerned with ripping people off and providing substandard and dangerous accommodation. 

I get it completely and still say that you are not in it to help peoples housing problems,  you couldn't care less about the homeless.  You are in it simply because you own 2 flats.

Whether I am in favour of stamp duty doesn't make any difference because the government don't do what I say.

I am in favour of EVERYBODY paying whatever taxes are due and everyone else has to pay stamp duty.  Again, you are not thinking of those moving house, but your pocket.

If you have 2 lots of good tenants, they are happy and you are happy,  then what's your problem?

Sounds as though the problem is ,  YOU JUST DON'T LIKE PAYING TAXES.

And I'm not wrong at all because you're making it sound as though it's housing supply that's upsetting you .  pull the other one. 

1 hour ago, crookesey said:

We tried renting out to private tenants but found the whole thing too tedious. What with late/none payers, demands for immediate action in respect of very minor matters such as light bulb replacement (even when they had a stock), not for us thanks very much.

Sell them then and someone can buy them and have a home.

On 04/05/2023 at 10:04, Organgrinder said:

I get it completely and still say that you are not in it to help peoples housing problems,  you couldn't care less about the homeless.  You are in it simply because you own 2 flats.

Whether I am in favour of stamp duty doesn't make any difference because the government don't do what I say.

I am in favour of EVERYBODY paying whatever taxes are due and everyone else has to pay stamp duty.  Again, you are not thinking of those moving house, but your pocket.

If you have 2 lots of good tenants, they are happy and you are happy,  then what's your problem?

Sounds as though the problem is ,  YOU JUST DON'T LIKE PAYING TAXES.

And I'm not wrong at all because you're making it sound as though it's housing supply that's upsetting you .  pull the other one. 

TBH I think you often fail to read, or certainly understand, the posts you are answering....

>>Whether I am in favour of stamp duty [or anything else ?] doesn't make any difference because the government don't do what I say.<<

Why do you bother posting on here, or any where else, then ?

22 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

TBH I think you often fail to read, or certainly understand, the posts you are answering....

>>Whether I am in favour of stamp duty [or anything else ?] doesn't make any difference because the government don't do what I say.<<

Why do you bother posting on here, or any where else, then ?

WHY SHOULD I NOT POST ON HERE?       YOU DO

Is that because you find it hard work trying to answer my posts?

I will say again, whatever I am in favour of doesn't matter - I don't rule the country so you will have to blame the government for that.

• 2 weeks later...

Acute shortage of rented properties because the balance of power is too far away from the landlord and more and more regulation means it's too much hassle being a  landlord, so what do they do, make it even worse :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-65612842

And this is a Tory government ! Christ knows what Labour will do, they're even more ignorant.