Demand Outstrips Supply : 'Rents Go Through The Roof As Landlords Sell Up'

25 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Acute shortage of rented properties because the balance of power is too far away from the landlord and more and more regulation means it's too much hassle being a  landlord, so what do they do, make it even worse :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-65612842

And this is a Tory government ! Christ knows what Labour will do, they're even more ignorant.

Do you never run out of things to cry about.

I will not be voting for labour but,  it will be comical when Labour have you wishing this "lefty" lot back again after all your moaning

You're not a bit bothered by a shortage of rental properties because it fits your agenda.  You just want more freedoms ( as always ) from government regulations so that CHEKHOV IS IN CHARGE.

Market forces which are the raison d'etre for our capitalist economy are not working properly.

Instead of the customer being the bottom line of the economy, deciding the market value, it's the Landlords who call the shots with their pricing. They have pitched their prices high and beyond the pocket of many renters. The definition of 'affordable' is debatable, but when a single room in a house of multiple occupancy is going for upwards of £600 a month in London, you have a major problem, and homelessness.

1 hour ago, Chekhov said:

Acute shortage of rented properties because the balance of power is too far away from the landlord and more and more regulation means it's too much hassle being a  landlord, so what do they do, make it even worse :

And this is a Tory government ! Christ knows what Labour will do, they're even more ignorant.

its only Hassle if you're a lazy A--  e  landlord just expecting to bank the cash, other landlords would/will manage it without the fuss n drama, I know we will🚦

3 hours ago, steve68 said:

its only Hassle if you're a lazy A--  e  landlord just expecting to bank the cash, other landlords would/will manage it without the fuss n drama, I know we will🚦

4 hours ago, Chekhov said:

Hopefully they will build more council houses, rather than leaving it to the market to build houses that the market laughingly call 'affordable.' 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, steve68 said:

I often get tempted to allow one of your posts past my ignore filter, wondering if this is the time you speak some sense.

But I am almost always disappointed.

You quite obviously know nothing about the subject and have not explained how all the extra regulations, expense and hassle (not to mention an even more severe tilt in power away from landlords) is going to increase the number of landlords and therefore the supply of rented property.

It's not really much do do with "banking the cash", it's to do with even more hassle, and even less power.

I would not advise anyone to become a landlord, even less so with Labour making all sort of threats about how far they are going to go with their misguided policies on renting property.

4 hours ago, Anna B said:

Market forces which are the raison d'etre for our capitalist economy are not working properly.

Instead of the customer being the bottom line of the economy, deciding the market value, it's the Landlords who call the shots with their pricing. They have pitched their prices high and beyond the pocket of many renters. The definition of 'affordable' is debatable, but when a single room in a house of multiple occupancy is going for upwards of £600 a month in London, you have a major problem, and homelessness.

In a free market that cannot be true Anna.

In a free market the price is determined by supply and demand, cartels excepted. But private landlords, most of whom own one or a few houses at most, cannot be in any cartel almost be definition. 

Edited by Chekhov

20 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

You quite obviously know nothing about the subject and have not explained how all the extra regulations, expense and hassle (not to mention an even more severe tilt in power away from landlords) is going to increase the number of landlords and therefore the supply of rented property.

I would not advise anyone to become a landlord, even less so with Labour making all sort of threats about how far they are going to go with their misguided policies on renting property.

No one has explained it because, no one has made any claim that it will increase the number of landlords.

It's obvious that you are an unhappy landlord,  although I don't know why, when you already have good reliable tenants in your properties,  who are no trouble at all.

If you really are so incensed,  stop moaning for once and do something about it.

You could build an access stairway at the back and sell them.

It's just,  try and make Chekhov happy,  time again.

1 hour ago, Chekhov said:

I often get tempted to allow one of your posts past my ignore filter, wondering if this is the time you speak some sense.

But I am almost always disappointed.

It's not really much do do with "banking the cash", it's to do with even more hassle, and even less power.

In a free market that cannot be true Anna.

In a free market the price is determined by supply and demand, cartels excepted. But private landlords, most of whom own one or a few houses at most, cannot be in any cartel almost be definition. 

There are different types of Landlord, and I don't mean just good or bad.

There's a huge difference between the pensioner who decides to do a buy to let to supplement their meagre pension, and the professional Landlord with many properties who can afford to ride the market ups and downs. The first will maybe give it up, (guess who will buy it?) and the second is the one who can afford to keep the market price high, the regulations don't bother him, so he profits by buying  from the little single let guy and expands his portfolio.

At any one time there are loads of empty properties, but Void periods don't bother the professional Landlord, he can afford to wait it out.

It's the same with most small independent traders. They can't compete with big business who can invariably price them out to reduce the competition. It's called Neoliberalism, and it's a curse that skews the market in favour of the big boys. Winner takes all.  

Edited by Anna B

7 hours ago, Chekhov said:

So you're in favour of 'no fault' evictions, Chekhov. One of your tenants reports a problem with the property. You have no intention of paying to sort it out and decide to punish them by issuing an eviction notice.

This is why tenants need protection from rogue landlords.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chekhov said:

yeah right of course,  we completed today on another property,  so we are going from 3 tenants to 4, with a tenant lined up already, despite that it will take me at least 3 months to clear it out and complete a top to toe renovation, to make it rentable and have all the necessary certs in place.

your problem is you spend to much time whinging, time that could have been spent tackling ordinary mundane tasks you find so much drama in.🏊‍♂️

it must be hard work, being so negative for so much of your time, you'll certainly need that holiday 🇳🇿