Demand Outstrips Supply : 'Rents Go Through The Roof As Landlords Sell Up'

5 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

If you sold the properties, the good news is you can't be a Rachman then,  and everybody's happy.

I’m pleased that ‘everybody’s happy’, why they should be God only knows, but very nice all the same. 😀 

13 hours ago, Beechwood_S6 said:

These are the least offensive pics, just gives you some idea, tomorrow the large corner sofa is having to go, at least the tenant emptied most of his bottles of urine, although it was out of the window 🤮 but has left his number 2s in carrier bags 🤔

https://ibb.co/RpCKtr9

https://ibb.co/z2r67yH

https://ibb.co/DYQm5dF

https://ibb.co/KzVKGKt

Good grief.

Awful that, he obvious needs some help. He works at a museum?  

Edited by Al Bundy

1 hour ago, Al Bundy said:

Good grief.

Awful that, he obvious needs some help. He works at a museum?  

He does and we tried getting him help,we doubt hes been working lately,  but he could afford both the drink and his living costs.

Museums in Sheffield and Leeds I won't say his role, as it would likely identify him. 

• Like 1

On 19/06/2023 at 17:26, Jeffrey Shaw said:

If an RTB landlord sells-up, the total number of houses and flats alters not one jot.

Assuming this to be now self-evident, the problem is not the supply but that the demand is excessive.

This must be due to an increase in the number of potential occupiers.

We know that UK family size is declining.

So there must be more families/households- either existing ones that have now split up, or newly-created/arrived ones.

Which you think is to blame?

On 13/08/2023 at 12:06, cuttsie said:

It amazes me that these multi occupant landlords are allowed to rent a poky little room with a sink in the corner and gas geaser for a couple of hundred quid a week , they are usererers , preying on poor people as well as some who are mentaly  ill .

The people who rent out  these places are the dregs of society but are often looked up to by the bar flies in the local posh pub .

My earlier answer is pertinent for this :

I lived in a bedsit when I was a Uni, and I did that because it was cheap. We'll skirt over the fact that most students these days would turn their nose up at such basic accommodation (and then moan about how much their time at Uni is costing them...) and concentrate on the fact that some people want to spend as little as possible on their rent. In a free market  who are the government to say "no you cannot do that, we are telling you (or more accurately the landlords) you must have X, Y & Z (and pay for it)".

I thought we lived in a free market ?

On 13/08/2023 at 13:15, Organgrinder said:

We know there are good landlords as well as bad ones but that doesn't mean turning a blind eye to some of the disgusting living conditions that some renters are paying a fortune for.

Aren't you forgetting something ?

I am sceptical about how many of these sink properties with "couldn't care less" landlords exist,  but the point is nobody is being forced to rent out anything anyway, they choose to do so because it's cheaper.

Obviously the tenants would rather have a bigger and more luxurious property, but that would mean having to pay more.

I'd rather have a bigger more luxurious house (with an en-suite bathroom, an essential to anyone living with most of the women I have ever known ! ), but we couldn't afford it....

The point is the more regulations / restrictions that are placed on landlords, and the less and less power they have (relative to the tenant) the fewer there will be and than rents will then be even higher.

Edited by Chekhov

• 4 months later...

The Times (11 Dec 23) p38

Bleak time as rents soar to record highs

The scale of the crisis in the lettings sector, as tenants have been hit in the pocket by landlords raising the rent, selling up, failing to invest or turning properties into holiday lets.

But Labour, apparently, think making life even tougher for landlords will solve it.

Who'd be a landlord?   There's a shortage of house renting because landlords believe everything is weighted in favour of the tenants,  hotels can be full because the government is paying them to take in tenants from abroad,  some landlords are in debt often paying hundreds/thousands to refurbish their properties and the stress must make not be worth it - health before ptofit.

• Like 1

A man and wife along with his three kids have been put in  small one bedroom  Council  flat near to us .

Temporary accommodation they call it .

They have rented three private houses over 5 years , The landlords have all sold up or moved into the house them selves over that time , The last move making the family home less , They have now been crammed   into that flat for over six months . 

Within a  a mile of the flat there are around a dozen empty council property's  empty ,    some with three bed rooms .

Two of those have been empty for two years .

55 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

A man and wife along with his three kids have been put in  small one bedroom  Council  flat near to us .

Temporary accommodation they call it .

They have rented three private houses over 5 years , The landlords have all sold up or moved into the house them selves over that time , The last move making the family home less , They have now been crammed   into that flat for over six months . 

Within a  a mile of the flat there are around a dozen empty council property's  empty ,    some with three bed rooms .

Two of those have been empty for two years .

I can believe it,  if councils don't want to build they can at least spend some money renovating old terraced houses,  there was a street full of them all empty in a Mnachester suburb,  or they could let single couples have them to renovate.

Edited by cressida