Sundial.

1 hour ago, spilldig said:

There is one I have seen at Hampton Court that appears to be 5 minutes slow!

Sundials very rarely show the right time. They were originally set with the shortest shadow at midday and so are very local. Ignoring the wobbly Earth every degree east or west is a 4 minute Sun time difference(15° is 1 hour and  15 X 24 = 360°). A very accurate clock was the way Navy ships knew how far east or west they were from Greenwich(longitude). The height of the Sun in degrees would give them latitude and between them their exact position on the planet.

The Hampton Court sundial will be showing the correct local time (LMT). The Sun was highest in the sky today at 13.07.  A sundial on Cairns Chambers opp TK Maxx on Church Street would show 13.11. A sundial on the Greenwich meridian e.g. Greenwich or Cleethorpes would show 13.05.

These time differences only became important when travel and communication became faster. The railway literally carried the time from Greenwich to the rest the of the country including Hampton Court and the one o'clock siren since 1874 at HL Brown in Sheffield and thus making sundials redundant.

14 hours ago, Padders said:

Still confused Longy.

I was going to do it at 2am , but the sun ain't shining

Like you say, I could leave it til October.

But I like to do things proper.

i have 2 clocks in the car and they are only right in the summer time as i am not great with computors,thats several like that now the susuki,volvo,vauxhall ect,why cannot these modern computor clocks just change themselves,the mitsibushi alway changed fine,pity most others dont copy

17 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Sundials very rarely show the right time. They were originally set with the shortest shadow at midday and so are very local. Ignoring the wobbly Earth every degree east or west is a 4 minute Sun time difference(15° is 1 hour and  15 X 24 = 360°). A very accurate clock was the way Navy ships knew how far east or west they were from Greenwich(longitude). The height of the Sun in degrees would give them latitude and between them their exact position on the planet.

The Hampton Court sundial will be showing the correct local time (LMT). The Sun was highest in the sky today at 13.07.  A sundial on Cairns Chambers opp TK Maxx on Church Street would show 13.11. A sundial on the Greenwich meridian e.g. Greenwich or Cleethorpes would show 13.05.

These time differences only became important when travel and communication became faster. The railway literally carried the time from Greenwich to the rest the of the country including Hampton Court and the one o'clock siren since 1874 at HL Brown in Sheffield and thus making sundials redundant.

+ a long time gone since Henry V 111.