Bbc One Panorama Tonight Slum Landlords

The programme  is not about 'Buy to Let'. It is how the social housing stock was sold off 40 years ago and in many cases is now in the hands of businesses who have a business model that takes advantage of current legislation. It is part of a series of programmes on 'Rental Health' across the BBC:

Tuesday 21 March

File on 4 investigates unhealthy social housing conditions and the residents forced to put up with them.

Sunday 26 March

Rental Health: The New Nomads 1.30pm - 2pm

Rental Health: The Social Housing Perfect Storm?

Monday 27 March

Rental Health: All Work and No Homes, 11am - 11.30am Communities in the Scottish Highlands are facing a housing crisis. housing for their staff.

Rental Health: Solutions 1/5, 1.45pm-2pm

Rental Health: Hunt for a Home, 8pm-8.30pm

Panorama as mentioned

Tuesday 28 March

Rental Health: Solutions 2/5, 1.45pm-2pm

Wednesday 29 March

You and Yours, 12pm The team will explore social housing and a new rental scam.

Rental Health: Solutions 3/5, 1.45pm-2pm

Money Box Live, 3pm Helping listeners with their rental issues.

Thursday 30th March

Rental Health: Solutions 4/5, 1.45pm-2pm

Friday 31 March

Rental Health: Solutions 5/5, 1.45pm-2pm

1 hour ago, HumbleNarrator said:

I don't mind people creating dwellings for rent out of nothing, or renovating uninhabitable dwellings for private rent, but I take a dim view of buy-to-let,  the purchasing of already perfectly decent properties to let.

So someone looking at life on a State Pension should not attempt to supplement this by putting their life savings into property to let out to private tenants?

6 minutes ago, crookesey said:

So someone looking at life on a State Pension should not attempt to supplement this by putting their life savings into property to let out to private tenants?

It depends.

If you do not do this or have not had the foresight to do this, then absolutely not.

Otherwise, it's perfectly fine.

1 minute ago, crookesey said:

not in my opinion no , but many of my ex building trade associates have done just that ,

You follow your own path in life . I  have worked for some of these land lords and seen the  awful conditions that some people have to live in due to usuarry by unscrupulous rip off merchants .

16 minutes ago, crookesey said:

It's not so much about that but, more about charging fair rents for properties and for those properties to be kept in a good state of repair in exchange for that fair rent

Everybody should be entitled to live in a property which is properly maintained and for which, a fair rent is charged.

That was the aim of the slum clearance schemes in the 1940's & 1950's but we have gone backwards again since then and even many council properties are slums nowadays.