Bbc One Panorama Tonight Slum Landlords

23 minutes ago, crookesey said:

Would your ‘working classes’ be the very well heeled Public Sector employees?

I have already said that the working classes are those who are working for the minimum wage OR BELOW THAT.

So NO, they will certainly not be very well heeled any kind of employees.

31 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Thereby destroying the myth that posh people are more trustworthy than the working classes.

Having said that, Boris Johnson and his cronies have already destroyed that myth, haven't they.

Up the working classes!

Have the posh people ever been more trustworthy than the working class? 

In my experience, posh people (the really posh) are ruthless opportunists who will exploit anyone to get even posher.

They didn't get where they are through hard work alone, that's a mugs game reserved for the working class and upwardly mobile.

It never ceases to amaze me how people love to leap on the little people for minor infringements of the law,

but allow the serious sociopaths to get away with murder. 

• Like 1

Just now, Anna B said:

Have the posh people ever been more trustworthy than the working class? 

In my experience, posh people (the really posh) are ruthless opportunists who will exploit anyone to get even posher.

They didn't get where they are through hard work alone, that's a mugs game reserved for the working class and upwardly mobile.

It never ceases to amaze me how people love to leap on the little people for minor infringements of the law,

but allow the serious sociopaths to get away with murder. 

Exactly,  I couldn't agree more.

33 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

I have already said that the working classes are those who are working for the minimum wage OR BELOW THAT.

So NO, they will certainly not be very well heeled any kind of employees.

I think you've set the bar too low. 

IMO the working class are anyone who works for a living, particularly those who pay tax through PAYE and don't have their own accountant. 

The problem is that too many people have delusions of grandeur and think that owning their own house, car and perhaps a small business, do their tax returns, and holiday abroad twice a year, makes them middle class. It doesn't. They have to graft for a living like the rest of us. There is a big difference between aspiring to be middle class and  being middle class, but they are the ones that keep voting  these damned Conservatives into power.

IMO the true middle class, I would say, are the top of pole professionals; Lawyers, Surgeons, Civil Service Grandees etc. and they despise the social climbing interlopers  with a passion.... 

Meanwhile the Upper class consider anyone who has to buy their own furniture rather than inheriting it, as middle class. Old money, New money

Edited by Anna B

16 minutes ago, Anna B said:

IMO the working class are anyone who works for a living, particularly those who pay tax through PAYE and don't have their own accountant. 

The problem is that too many people have delusions of grandeur and think that owning their own house, car and perhaps a small business, do their tax returns and holiday abroad twice a year, makes them middle class. It doesn't. They have to graft for a living like the rest of us. There is a big difference between aspiring to be middle class and  being middle class, but they are the ones that keep voting  these damned Conservatives into power.

IMO the true middle class, I would say, are the top of pole professionals; Lawyers, Surgeons, Civil Service Grandees etc. and they despise the social climbing interlopers  with a passion.... 

Meanwhile the Upper class consider anyone who has to buy their own furniture rather than inheriting it, as middle class. Old money, New money

A guy who I knocked about with and played football with in the 60’s is now a millionaire a few times over, which class do you place him in?

Edited by crookesey

18 minutes ago, Anna B said:

The problem is that too many people have delusions of grandeur and think that owning their own house, car and perhaps a small business, do their tax returns, and holiday abroad twice a year, makes them middle class. It doesn't. They have to graft for a living like the rest of us. There is a big difference between aspiring to be middle class and  being middle class, but they are the ones that keep voting  these damned Conservatives into power.

I know lots of people that work hard and have accountants. Wonder where they come in your list ?

40 minutes ago, crookesey said:

A guy who I knocked about with and played football with in the 60’s is now a millionaire a few times over, which class do you place him in?

Social class is a weird concept when you dig deep into it, I think Anna B has pretty much nailed it above, but there are gradations that perhaps particular to Britain:

BBC News - The Great British class calculator: What class are you?

57 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I think it was the late MP Alan Clarke in his diaries that said that about another MP (IIRC I think it was Michael Hesletine).

52 minutes ago, crookesey said:

Any class he chooses.

No doubt it will depend on the context. Alan Sugar loves to parade his humble beginnings when it suits him. Doesn't make him working class, neither does it make him Royalty though that's how he likes to be treated by his minions.  

A few footballers are as rich as Croesus, does that make them upper class? Does doing the thing you  love count as work?

It's complicated.

Few 'self made' millionaires acknowledge the help they have had along the way including the luck.  That doesn't mean I begrudge them their success, but to think that everyone can make it with just 'hard work' is a fallacy.

• Like 1