Bbc One Panorama Tonight Slum Landlords

15 minutes ago, cressida said:

Just watched Panorama,  a woman who sold her house for £85,000 went back to it with a reporter to find that the landlord had turned all her rooms into tiny bedsits - six of them.   

Another landlord was making £900 a month from each of his tenants,  all in one house.

Some of the conditions were horrific,  water leaking the main concern plus mould.

Some of the people would have more room in a caravan.   

We stayed in a mobile home in Towyn once,  there was enough space,  even those would be suitable for affordable housing,  some could be easily assembled.

The council certainly began work on the repairs when the tenants contacted their solicitors.

Shameful.

These people have no shame, and seem to get away with it unhindered.

It's been going on for years and nothing is done. The housing associations are as guilty as the next. Who gives them the contracts? 

I wonder how many of the Landlords featured in this programme will finish up where they belong?  In jail.

I'm not holding my breath...

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, cressida said:

Just watched Panorama,  a woman who sold her house for £85,000 went back to it with a reporter to find that the landlord had turned all her rooms into tiny bedsits - six of them.   

Another landlord was making £900 a month from each of his tenants,  all in one house.

Some of the conditions were horrific,  water leaking the main concern plus mould.

Some of the people would have more room in a caravan.   

We stayed in a mobile home in Towyn once,  there was enough space,  even those would be suitable for affordable housing,  some could be easily assembled.

The council certainly began work on the repairs when the tenants contacted their solicitors.

Shameful.

We are creating slums again

We managed to get rid of them in the last 70 years but they seem to be on their way back

Just look at Page Hall

4 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

We are creating slums again

We managed to get rid of them in the last 70 years but they seem to be on their way back

Just look at Page Hall

There is no improvement at all,  storage is minimal,  people seem to be on top of each other,  everybody needs space for themselves sometimes if only to ease relationships.

Landlords to get power to evict antisocial tenants with two weeks’ notice

Landlords are to be given new powers to evict problematic tenants with two weeks’ notice under government proposals to address antisocial behaviour.

The measures would cover tenants who play loud music, use drugs, cause damage to their property or fall behind on their rent.

All new private tenancy agreements will have to include clauses that specifically ban antisocial behaviour – and the notice period for eviction on these grounds will be cut from four weeks to a fortnight

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2023/mar/27/ministers-to-crack-down-on-short-term-lets-over-rowdy-airbnb-guests

Edited by Jack Grey

2 hours ago, Jack Grey said:

Landlords to get power to evict antisocial tenants with two weeks’ notice

Landlords are to be given new powers to evict problematic tenants with two weeks’ notice under government proposals to address antisocial behaviour.

The measures would cover tenants who play loud music, use drugs, cause damage to their property or fall behind on their rent.

Perhaps that is a good thing, but I doubt it will happen. It will more likely have taken months to get to that stage.

I have a dog, should dog owners be concerned?

The whole process of eviction needs to be quicker/cheaper if tenants are not paying rent.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Perhaps that is a good thing, but I doubt it will happen. It will more likely have taken months to get to that stage.

The whole process of eviction needs to be quicker/cheaper if tenants are not paying rent.

Surely pet ownership is written into your tenancy agreement?

If you have a dog that isnt allowed under your tenancy then surely youve broken the contract that you signed and that could be reason to evict you

46 minutes ago, El Cid said:

I am getting on now but remember my mum saying that if you don't pay your rent you would be out on the street.

16 hours ago, Anna B said:

We have the oldest monarchy in the world. Largely because of a blip in the 17th century which produced the Lord Protector Oliver Cromwell which changed things to a certain extent, but blow me, the aristocracy managed to reinstate a new king with all the same wealth and privileges if not quite as much power a mere 11 years later. Business as usual...

Arguably that would be Jorge Mario Bergoglio, a formerly obscure Argentinian, also known as The Pope,  Successor of the Prince of the Apostles, Supreme Pontiff of the Universal Church, Primate of Italy, Archbishop and Metropolitan of the Roman Province, Sovereign of the State of Vatican City, Bishop of Rome, Vicar of Jesus Christ,

Popes have been sending folks off to Holy Wars, and deciding women's place in the World forever.

I billion followers, he has!  :)

Edited by trastrick

I’d been used to living in Council property until I reached my mid twenties, I bought my flat because a) I could afford it, b) I could choose what and where, up to my budget, and c) it made me feel good.

As for ‘class’, I have lost many of my friends, who came from every corner of society. I never placed them in boxes, they literally placed themselves in them, cancer, alcohol abuse, heart problems, total abuse of their bodies, suicide, and I loved them all and have never tried to replace any of them, which would have been an insult.

The classiest lady that I know is my old dog Ellie, we have an understanding that we will not be parted for very long in life, another four years will make her 16 and me 80, and I reckon that will do for the pair of us.