Local Elections

Guest busdriver1
4 hours ago, MyFriendStan said:

How many folks will turn out to cast their vote come polling day? Can never understand why its always such a crap turnout people have a vote why not use it or is everyone happy with their lot. My Dad always said you have a vote use it if you dont vote then dont complain about things.

There is a basic problem with the local government in this country in that only the figureheads actually get elected. The ones that do all the actual work and make decisions and give "unbiased advice" never get elected or held to account. Until that is resolved you are just voting for more of the same no matter what party you vote for.

1 minute ago, busdriver1 said:

There is a basic problem with the local government in this country in that only the figureheads actually get elected. The ones that do all the actual work and make decisions and give "unbiased advice" never get elected or held to account. Until that is resolved you are just voting for more of the same no matter what party you vote for.

Exactly. And that will never happen. Unfortunately the 'figureheads' are usually in thrall of the 'experts' and just accept what they are 'advised' without any critical thought.

3 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Exactly. And that will never happen. Unfortunately the 'figureheads' are usually in thrall of the 'experts' and just accept what they are 'advised' without any critical thought.

My favoured definition of an ‘Expert’ is :-

Ex being a has been, and forgiving the addition of an ‘s’, spert being a drip under pressure. 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, busdriver1 said:

I’d disagree with you on that.

The councillors make all the meaningful decisions. They most certainly do ask lots of questions of the officers and they do shape what is being delivered. You can’t expect a councillor to be an expert in everything, so they will need to take advice, but in my experience, they are well able to question advice they get and they do sometimes decide to go against officer advice. 

The officers aren’t elected. How would you think that having elected officers would ever work?

The officers are accountable, just the same as any other employee.

I think your problem is that you don’t like the policies and initiatives that are being delivered but I wonder whether that would change,  whoever is in power. There’s a limit to what local politicians can do.

We have in recent years had administrations featuring all three of the parties who get elected around here. Did you notice much difference with any of them?

Do you see major differences in what’s being delivered here and what happens and how things are done in other areas at local level?

1 hour ago, busdriver1 said:

The Committee meetings are all on the Council's website to watch. These will show that officers present reports, which are scrutinised by the Committee members. This scrutiny does include some questioning of the advice in the reports.  If the Committee doesn't agree, the report isn't approved. 

38 minutes ago, S35_2o21 said:

The Committee meetings are all on the Council's website to watch. These will show that officers present reports, which are scrutinised by the Committee members. This scrutiny does include some questioning of the advice in the reports.  If the Committee doesn't agree, the report isn't approved. 

Doesn't show you what was said between them before they enter the room and after they come out.

And the moon is made of green cheese.

12 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Doesn't show you what was said between them before they enter the room and after they come out.

Isn’t that always going to be the case when the decisions are made by politicians who divide on party lines? 

What would be your suggestion for how you’d like things to be done differently?

17 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

And the moon is made of green cheese.

Over the years, I’ve seen a good few reports which were not approved by committees or deferred for further discussion and amendment.

Theres also a scrutiny committee which can and does call in controversial decisions for further debate.

• Like 1

On 27/03/2023 at 08:52, HeHasRisen said:

Because very few people give a stuff about local politics, thats the long and the short of it.

If there was someone inspirational, who you believed in, it might help. Terry Fox isn't that person. 

5 minutes ago, blackydog said:

If there was someone inspirational, who you believed in, it might help. Terry Fox isn't that person. 

Only people in the ward Terry Fox is in can vote for him, every 4 years.  So thats in one out of 28 wards, in one out of every four years.

I put it to you there arent many "inspirational" people knocking about in local politics. Those types of people head for general elections, mainly.  Local politics isnt sexy enough.

Edited by HeHasRisen

1 minute ago, HeHasRisen said:

Only people in the ward Terry Fox is in can vote for him, every 4 years.  So thats in one out of 28 wards, in one out of every four years.

I put it to you there arent many "inspirational" people knocking about in local politics.

Yeah but he is the current leader of the council, so voting for any of his party potentially gets you Terry Fox back.

Agree on your second point.