Travellers Caravans At Norton Aerodrome

An ideal area for a number of buisnesses but  several  spring to mind,   It would make a ideal place for a Go-Cart circuit plus a BMX circuit and an Adventure park (junior assault course type) or even a Millhouses type Lido. 

21 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

Really? 

I've not been passed for years. I used to live close and had some great times on there as a lad.

There are still metal rings visible in the ground where I presume they tethered the balloons from. One is located in the centre of this circle I have marked...

P7JUATjJ.jpg

Edited by WarPig

28 minutes ago, WarPig said:

There are still metal rings visible in the ground where I presume they tethered the balloons from. One is located in the centre of this circle I have marked...

P7JUATjJ.jpg

Interesting stuff. Thank you for that 👍 

Edited by The_DADDY

On 14/04/2023 at 21:28, HeHasRisen said:

Do the council own the land? Genuine question.

For a long time, it was in the hands of various central government bodies ... English Partnerships, Homes England etc. ... and major plans were being considered back in 2007 (combinations of Housing, Park 'n' Ride, Green Belt etc.). However the 2008 economic crash scuppered all that.
Sheffield City Council acquired ownership in 2013/14. I am not sure if, or how much, they paid for it.
It is interesting to note that the acquisition proposal document of 2013 says:
"In summary, if the property is not purchased now then the HCA may sell the site on the open market potentially leading to continued blight and anti-social behaviour on the site." 

... that worked then!

Sheffield City Council - Agenda item - Site of the former Norton Aerodrome, Lightwood

I've never been a fan of it being developed into housing etc, preferring it to remain wild for wildlife, which there is plenty of if you look. As well as all sorts of birds, I've also found snakes living there. However if there is a risk of travellers turning up en mass and turning it into one ginormous travellers set then I think I'd prefer it to be developed.

I've always wondered what the bunker was used for that is on the edge of the site, I used to play in it as a kid in the 70's/80's.