Many Schools 'Routinely Disregard' Safeguarding Principles On Gender Identity

41 minutes ago, sibon said:

And do stop hitting him, it is wrong.

Yet another strawman, that's three in one post, an unparalleled achievement :

Hitting is striking someone (usually punching or kicking them) with the intention to cause pain and possible injury, so yes I would agree they should be in serious trouble.

However, slapping a wilfully naughty child does not come under that defintion and it doesn't even hurt them that much. I would point out, BTW, that I only slap my lad when he has been deliberately and seriously disobedient and/or doing something dangerous. Furthermore, when we discipline him differently, which is the vast majority of the time (e.g. no computer time today), he often pleads with me to slap him instead. I decline obviously.

=

hitting
bring one's hand or a tool or weapon into contact with (someone or something) quickly and forcefully.

2 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Yet another strawman, that's three in one post, an unparalleled achievement :

Hitting is striking someone (usually punching or kicking them) with the intention to cause pain and possible injury, so yes I would agree they should be in serious trouble.

However, slapping a wilfully naughty child does not come under that defintion and it doesn't even hurt them that much. I would point out, BTW, that I only slap my lad when he has been deliberately and seriously disobedient and/or doing something dangerous. Furthermore, when we discipline him differently, which is the vast majority of the time (e.g. no computer time today), he often pleads with me to slap him instead. I decline obviously.

=

hitting
bring one's hand or a tool or weapon into contact with (someone or something) quickly and forcefully.

So when you slap your child, you are using your hand (as above) with enough force (as above) so as to inflict pain to correct behaviour.

i.e : stop doing the thing I don't like you doing otherwise I'm going to hurt you. 

3 minutes ago, Hecate said:

I found the Facebook page for my old secondary school a while back.  The school's gone now, but it had a relatively longish history dating back to the 30s, I think.  The group seems to attract mostly older ex-pupils, those who left in the 70s or earlier, though some of the teachers' names from that era were familiar to me. 

I went there a few years after corporal punishment had been abolished in schools, but some of those who were there before me had been subjected to the whims of some of the teachers and their ability to punish unwanted behaviour as they saw fit. 

It wasn't too much of a surprise to read that some in that group wrote about wanting to find those teachers and give them a taste of what they'd suffered at school.  I'm not suggesting that these ex-pupils are violent men, but they'd apparently been scarred to the extent that seeking some sort of equivalent revenge was seen as an appropriate response to how they'd been treated as children by supposedly responsible adults.

My bold

I went to school after the abolition of corporal punishment. That didn't stop the metalwork teacher slapping me full in the face and very hard for apparently wasting 12 pence worth of metal.

Metal work wasn't my thing, I was terrible at it. I was 11 by the way 

Anyhow I swore revenge but never got the opportunity as karma did it for me.

Rot In Hell you vicious bully !!!

9 minutes ago, Hecate said:

I found the Facebook page for my old secondary school a while back.  The school's gone now, but it had a relatively longish history dating back to the 30s, I think.  The group seems to attract mostly older ex-pupils, those who left in the 70s or earlier, though some of the teachers' names from that era were familiar to me. 

I went there a few years after corporal punishment had been abolished in schools, but some of those who were there before me had been subjected to the whims of some of the teachers and their ability to punish unwanted behaviour as they saw fit. 

It wasn't too much of a surprise to read that some in that group wrote about wanting to find those teachers and give them a taste of what they'd suffered at school.  I'm not suggesting that these ex-pupils are violent men, but they'd apparently been scarred to the extent that seeking some sort of equivalent revenge was seen as an appropriate response to how they'd been treated as children by supposedly responsible adults.

My personal experience was that in my schooldays the cane, slipper, lines and detention were used as punishments.

These punishments were the norm and as far as I know did not turn any of  us into violent adults.

I suppose the problem arose if the teacher had sadistic tendencies.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Hecate said:

That's a fair post.

1 hour ago, Hecate said:

Bleedin' hell what school was that ? I went to school in the 70s, King Ecgbert's. We still had corporal punishment  and it was nothing like that. You went along to the Assistant Head (Mr Solway) who whacked you on the hand (I think it was the hand, I never had it) with a cane. In fact it was called "getting the cane". Where ever it was I would have thought it hurt a bit, but I'd be amazed if it inflicted any lasting damage.

As far as I can remember Mr Solway was the only one authorised to administer corporal punishment

Approve of it or not it was no where near being subjected to the whims of some of the teachers and their ability to punish unwanted behaviour as they saw fit.

Edited by Chekhov
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, The_DADDY said:

I went to school after the abolition of corporal punishment. That didn't stop the metalwork teacher slapping me full in the face and very hard for apparently wasting 12 pence worth of metal.

Metal work wasn't my thing, I was terrible at it. I was 11 by the way 

Anyhow I swore revenge but never got the opportunity as karma did it for me.

Rot In Hell you vicious bully !!!

Mind you, when you were at school 12p would have bought you a 2nd hand Skoda, no fuel in it though (that would have doubled its value).

Edited by Chekhov
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Approve of it or not it was no where near being subjected to the whims of some of the teachers and their ability to punish unwanted behaviour as they saw fit.

That’s exactly how it was in the 50s and 60s at secondary school. I had it from at least three different teachers. PE teachers favoured the slipper to the backside.

I only remember the headmaster dishing out the cane at junior school, the female teachers would use a ruler.