Many Schools 'Routinely Disregard' Safeguarding Principles On Gender Identity

1 hour ago, The_DADDY said:

You don't think the parents have a right to know?

It's not that I don't think they don't think they have a right to know. It's just the idea that if young people know that everything they tell teacher, what they think is in confidence, then the child will have no confidence in disclosing to the teacher potentially much more serious information.

Just now, Mister M said:

It's not that I don't think they don't think they have a right to know. It's just the idea that if young people know that everything they tell teacher, what they think is in confidence, then the child will have no confidence in disclosing to the teacher potentially much more serious information.

Fair enough

I don't agree but I get your point.

Is there anything else you feel the school would be right in keeping from parents?

1 minute ago, The_DADDY said:

Fair enough

I don't agree but I get your point.

Is there anything else you feel the school would be right in keeping from parents?

No I can't think of anything.

With regards to the conversations that are being had, I would imagine that they are very low key, and just about allaying anxieties that young people may have.

I know as young person I would've hated having to talk to my parents about anything personal, and I know that lots of young people feel the same. Mind you I would've hated teachers knowing as well.

It's a shame that there aren't more youth services available, so youngsters can have people who they're more trusting of.

2 minutes ago, Mister M said:

With regards to the conversations that are being had, I would imagine that they are very low key, and just about allaying anxieties that young people may have.

I know as young person I would've hated having to talk to my parents about anything personal, and I know that lots of young people feel the same. Mind you I would've hated teachers knowing as well.

It's a shame that there aren't more youth services available, so youngsters can have people who they're more trusting of.

My bold

Or possible indoctrination by some of the activist teachers that work in schools nowadays?

7 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Yes it is very difficult to remember who I would have confided in when I was a child.

But I do remember being told "Don't be so daft"  when saying things as a child .

Edited by harvey19

2 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

Yes it is very difficult to remember who I would have confided in when I was a child.

At 15 I told the art teacher I was gay. She was lovely, and I had the utmost trust in her. Not like the other ratbags that taught me as a kid

Edited by Mister M

Just now, Mister M said:

Is that what the CPS report says?

I haven't read it. 

Indoctrination does happen in schools, colleges and universities though. I'm not going to say it's wide spread because I don't know. I can only go on personal experiences. 

3 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

For me? I could talk to my mum about anything and often did. 

Also my nan, 3 teachers at school and a few parents of friends. I would have trusted them all with absolutely anything.

I guess I was lucky?

1 minute ago, Mister M said:

At 15 I told the art teacher I was gay. She was lovely, and I had the utmost trust in her. Not like the other ratbags that taught me as a kid

The problem is who you confide in and what their viewpoint is.

In my schooldays the teachers were teachers and we were pupils at grammar school.  The teachers did not have to take on responsibility for the pupils private lives. 

Guest sibon
23 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Teachers can’t offer confidentiality. They have a statutory duty to report some disclosures that some kids might make. For example, if a child was disclosing abuse, or something that placed them at risk. 

They might choose to keep somethings confidential for a while, but it is  certainly not the case that the student can rely upon that.