Many Schools 'Routinely Disregard' Safeguarding Principles On Gender Identity

8 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

I haven't read it. 

Indoctrination does happen in schools, colleges and universities though. I'm not going to say it's wide spread because I don't know. I can only go on personal experiences. 

For me? I could talk to my mum about anything and often did. 

Also my nan, 3 teachers at school and a few parents of friends. I would have trusted them all with absolutely anything.

I guess I was lucky?

Indoctrination happens on a national level as well - by newspapers, so called think tanks, and Governments.

I wouldn't trust the CPS as far as I could spit.

3 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

The problem is who you confide in and what their viewpoint is.

In my schooldays the teachers were teachers and we were pupils at grammar school.  The teachers did not have to take on responsibility for the pupils private lives. 

No I understand that, and I was pretty savvy in who I chose to speak to. I'd figured out that she was an okay person, and that she'd probably know the relevant youth service I could contact. 

It was probably difficult for her because this was the days of Section 28.

7 minutes ago, Mister M said:

At 15 I told the art teacher I was gay. She was lovely, and I had the utmost trust in her. Not like the other ratbags that taught me as a kid

I presume I am quite a bit older than you and now look back at my schooldays and realise how I wasted a lot of my time and couldn't wait to leave, in fact I tried to leave a year early.

The main point of my post is that I now have a great respect for the teachers who tried to educate me especially when in later life I have found out what humble backgrounds some of them came from. One of our teachers could have lectured at a university but decided to teach at a grammar school in order to help children from all kinds of backgrounds.

1 minute ago, Mister M said:

Indoctrination happens on a national level as well - by newspapers, so called think tanks, and Governments.

My bold 

You'll get no argument from me there 👍

2 minutes ago, Mister M said:

No I understand that, and I was pretty savvy in who I chose to speak to. I'd figured out that she was an okay person, and that she'd probably know the relevant youth service I could contact. 

It was probably difficult for her because this was the days of Section 28.

Presumably you were quite mature for your age.

3 minutes ago, sibon said:

Teachers can’t offer confidentiality. They have a statutory duty to report some disclosures that some kids might make. For example, if a child was disclosing abuse, or something that placed them at risk. 

They might choose to keep somethings confidential for a while, but it is  certainly not the case that the student can rely upon that.

No I agree. 

That's why I think that teachers disclosing everything is counterproductive. Which child is going to have confidence in any teacher if they know that everything they talk about is going back to parent. 

If the child discloses abuse then of course the teacher should let statutory services know. But if the young person has already spoken to the teacher about concerns about their gender identity, and that get's back to the parent - the child is going to be less trusting of the teacher and not disclose to them any instance of abuse.

1 minute ago, harvey19 said:

Presumably you were quite mature for your age.

I think so. I knew at 15 I was gay, and I didn't want any hassle from my Mum and Dad, so I figured out which adult it would be okay to speak to.

If I'd have been more mature perhaps I would've spoken to a youth worker, and sought out their advice - though that didn't occur to me at the time 

6 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

My bold 

You'll get no argument from me there 👍

I think this is one of my concerns with organisations like the Centre for Policy Studies. I'm not entirely confident that I trust them. They seem to want to curry favour with the Government.

Newspapers like Mail or whatever seem to want to convince the public that all teachers have an agenda to instill propaganda into their students. Not the case at all. Most teachers are too busy teaching their core subjects. The only people instilling propaganda are the Daily Mail and its ilk.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mister M said:

No I agree. 

That's why I think that teachers disclosing everything is counterproductive. Which child is going to have confidence in any teacher if they know that everything they talk about is going back to parent. 

If the child discloses abuse then of course the teacher should let statutory services know. But if the young person has already spoken to the teacher about concerns about their gender identity, and that get's back to the parent - the child is going to be less trusting of the teacher and not disclose to them any instance of abuse.

I think so. I knew at 15 I was gay, and I didn't want any hassle from my Mum and Dad, so I figured out which adult it would be okay to speak to.

If I'd have been more mature perhaps I would've spoken to a youth worker, and sought out their advice - though that didn't occur to me at the time 

I can not remember any youth workers except scout leaders when I was about 12.

Never even knew there were such people as youth workers when I was 15.

Just now, Mister M said:

I think this is one of my concerns with organisations like the Centre for Policy Studies. I'm not entirely confident that I trust them. They seem to want to curry favour with the Government.

Newspapers like Mail or whatever seem to want to convince the public that all teachers have an agenda to instill propaganda into their students. Not the case at all. Most teachers are too busy teaching their core subjects. The only people instilling propaganda are the Daily Mail and its ilk.

As I have said many times "Sensationalism sells Papers "

6 minutes ago, Mister M said:

My bold.

Again, you'll get no argument from me there. 

I'll say this though, I know of 3 teachers in one school (in Yorkshire but that's all I'm saying) who have made no secret of their desire to transition as many kids as they can. With any luck this school is an isolated and quite extreme case. The though if this being widespread sends a shiver down my spine.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

My bold.

Again, you'll get no argument from me there. 

I'll say this though, I know of 3 teachers in one school (in Yorkshire but that's all I'm saying) who have made no secret of their desire to transition as many kids as they can. With any luck this school is an isolated and quite extreme case. The though if this being widespread sends a shiver down my spine.

If that's the case, and you've got evidence, that should be reported to the board of governors, or possibly Ofsted I would've thought. 

1 minute ago, Mister M said:

If that's the case, and you've got evidence, that should be reported to the board of governors, or possibly Ofsted I would've thought. 

The parents decided to just pull their kids from the school but wrote to the governors explaining the reason behind it. I don't think they contacted Ofsted though.

Heard nothing back and moved on. Now they home school one of kids and the other was placed in another mainstream school. 

I objected till I was blue in the face but their kids so their choice and I had to accept it.

Still frustrates me now though if honest.