Worker Protection Bill Will Make Employers Liable For Customers Upsetting Staff

9 hours ago, trastrick said:

It's a place of family and community dependence where all the population come together to deal with the "bad" stuff, which is an inevitable part of life.

And people are free, independent, self reliant, resourceful and have common sense. They don't look to government to regulate every aspect of their lives. :)

I love your idea of Utopia.

What I like is it doesn't depend on buildings and wealth, but on people. Therefore it is something we can all aspire to.

A thriving community is created by the people who live in it and shouldn't be beyond anyone's reach.  Sadly most of us don't live like that anymore, more's the pity, for all sorts of reasons, but maybe we've just got out of the habit of being neighbourly and sociable. It's in everyone's interest to try and bring it back everywhere. 

Edited by Anna B

8 minutes ago, Anna B said:

What I like is it doesn't depend on buildings and wealth, but on people. Therefore it is something we can all aspire to.

A thriving community is created by the people who live in it and shouldn't be beyond anyone's reach.  Sadly most of us don't live like that anymore, more's the pity, for all sorts of reasons, but maybe we've just got out of the habit of being neighbourly and sociable. It's in everyone's interest to try and bring it back everywhere

Hi Anna.

I think part of it is that people are just not as nice as they used to be. People, especially nowadays just let you down or are unpleasant.

"The older I get, the more I love my animals"  is rather accurate 

24 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

Hi Anna.

I think part of it is that people are just not as nice as they used to be. People, especially nowadays just let you down or are unpleasant.

"The older I get, the more I love my animals"  is rather accurate 

Certainly seems that way. Yet being pleasant and kind costs nothing. I wonder what changed.

Edited by Anna B

20 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Certainly seems that way. Yet being pleasant and kind costs nothing. I wonder what changed.

Selfishness and lack of respect for others is rife within today's society, especially the West.

What's caused it?   I would like to blame social media but it started before that appeared.

As awful as it sounds, a war would bring people together again, but for how long, who knows.

15 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

Selfishness and lack of respect for others is rife within today's society, especially the West.

What's caused it?   I would like to blame social media but it started before that appeared.

As awful as it sounds, a war would bring people together again, but for how long, who knows.

I wouldn't wish a war on anyone. Surely there are other, better ways.

I asked my grandson why kids  vandalise things. (I hasten to add he's never vandalised anything) He says it's because they are angry. That has the ring of truth about it.

I think people are angry too, and disappointed. We built their expectations up so high in the early Thatcher years, and now for most of them they've crashed and burned.

IMO The future has become one of anxiety and uncertainty for most people, and a survival instinct has taken over with its every-man-for-himself philosophy. 

3 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I wouldn't wish a war on anyone. Surely there are other, better ways.

I asked my grandson why kids  vandalise things. (I hasten to add he's never vandalised anything) He says it's because they are angry. That has the ring of truth about it.

I think people are angry too, and disappointed. We built their expectations up so high in the early Thatcher years, and now for most of them they've crashed and burned.

IMO The future has become one of anxiety and uncertainty for most people, and a survival instinct has taken over with its every-man-for-himself philosophy. 

Disagree.

People have everything they want, we have never had it so good!!

The West is like one big spoilt child. It's now bored and wants to stamp its feet.

52 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

Disagree.

People have everything they want, we have never had it so good!!

The West is like one big spoilt child. It's now bored and wants to stamp its feet.

Interesting. But I disagree. Maybe we have been spoilt, but how can you say we've never had it so good when we have foodbanks, homelessness, cost of living crisis, poor prospects, and all round insecurity?

After a war there is always a period of reckoning and readjusting, usually accompanied by a sense of relief and hope for the future. People pull together. And let's be honest, we're usually on the winning side.

To me it feels like we've been through a war, what with Terrorism, the financial crash causing turmoil all over the world, general destabilization, and the world wide Pandemic doing likewise.

We've had to face our vulnerability and the downward trajectory of our place in the world.  We are up to our necks in the reckoning and readjustment period, but without the accompanying sense of relief and hope for the future as, the bad news just keeps on coming.  

Edited by Anna B

10 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Interesting. But I disagree. Maybe we have been spoilt, but how can you say we've never had it so good when we have foodbanks, homelessness, cost of living crisis, poor prospects, and all round insecurity?

After a war there is always a period of reckoning and readjusting, usually accompanied by a sense of relief and hope for the future. People pull together. And let's be honest, we're usually on the winning side.

To me it feels like we've been through a war, what with Terrorism, the financial crash causing turmoil all over the world, general destabilization, and the world wide Pandemic doing likewise.

We've had to face our vulnerability and the downward trajectory of our place in the world.  We are up to our necks in the reckoning and readjustment period, but without the accompanying sense of relief and hope for the future as, the bad news just keeps on coming.  

I understand that folks are struggling but they always have and always will Anna, regardless.

We, the west live in a society that demands everything and everything now, it's never happy, it's a society that's used to having everything done for them regardless of finance and when it doesn't get what it thinks it's entitled to, it starts stamping and gnawing like a big spoilt brat.

16 hours ago, Anna B said:

A thriving community is created by the people who live in it and shouldn't be beyond anyone's reach.  Sadly most of us don't live like that anymore, more's the pity, for all sorts of reasons, but maybe we've just got out of the habit of being neighbourly and sociable. It's in everyone's interest to try and bring it back everywhere. 

There's no Utopia,

The problem is the Eurocentric view of the World, Anna. It's a generic leftover from colonial times.

When folks say what's wrong with the World, or Life is rubbish. they tend to be talking about their own little corner of the World.

There are emerging vast numbers of people that don't accept the view that ihe The West that has some divine right to tell the rest of the World how they should live. and the values they should embrace and celebrate. Their Third Reichs, One World Communism, New Liberal World Orders, Regime change, nd their never ending, endless wars.

It's up to each individual to make peace with his neighbor and not let some faceless, self appointed elite class determine how one should live. One must be forever vigilant against those who would seek to dominate.

But the basic human propensity for happiness and comity still exists in the World. It's part of human nature!

You have the mechanism to determine your own future.

Vote wisely!  :)

And "Teach your children well" - as the song goes.

Edited by trastrick
  • Like 1