Why Should People Vote Labour In May ?

This is a question I’m asking myself and I guess I ask every election. 

I have taken a look at Sheffield councils yearly plans (google it). There’s lots of great sentiment but what actual positive change has there been in the last 2 years or so ?  

I can see great plans for a nice park at the castle area of town. 

The local parks near me seem in a decent state. 
The litter bins on the roads seem to be being emptied. 

These are I guess quite small things but then I don’t really use services such as social care and social housing. So not able to comment. 

But then I look at some big ticket items. 

The city centre. In my work I visit other cities Nottingham. Manchester. Their city centres are vibrant places. Ours is well it’s grim. 

spending money wisely. 
errrmmm containers. 

Trust. 
errr trees ? 

Public Transport. 
All I hear is people saying it’s not great. On the rare occurrence I have caught a bus - on two occasions I was waiting longer than I was supposed to be. 

closing roads. 
I actually cycle little London road. I did before it had barriers. It’s quieter and nicer to cycle now but in totality is still an interesting route into the city.  
I also think if closing roads was about making positive inroads into pollution. Then my uneducated stance is that it’s made things worse. Abbeydale road is a nightmare to drive.  Journeys are slower and sitting traffic causes more pollution. The simple fact is there are too many cars on the road. I believe there needs to be carrots and sticks to make journeys more green and quicker. I only see sticks. 

like I say my view is limited - so I’d love to see some positives.  

Of course budgets are vastly limited but other cities seem to be doing better. 

what do  you think ? 

Edited by srtaylo0

14 minutes ago, Anna B said:

The best carrot is a decent public transport system, with clean, regular and plentiful buses on all the main routes, but it will never happen. Public transport is privatised now and nobody can make them do anything...

All true but this Cost of living, Energy Crisis needs sorting, start with stopping Bosses and their Companies taking the the Urine and earning Millions of profit.  

• Like 1

time for a change ,this council is a disgrace,add this to the list,our friends of greenhill park group,obtain by hard work ,fundraisers and bidding from the lottery and other charitys have gained a MUGGA,multi games area,a skate park,a zip wire,2 big slides,a basket swing,a log area and more,then when money comes available what do we get ,nowt,then the give areas that cannot be bothered loads of swings ect,unfair time to change them asap

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

The best carrot is a decent public transport system, with clean, regular and plentiful buses on all the main routes, but it will never happen. Public transport is privatised now and nobody can make them do anything...

I mean if the SYPTE pass on funding from government meant for improving services in the form of tendered routes rather than pie-in-the-sky unsustainable gimmicks like 80p fares for ADULTS & price caps at £2. 

I also believe, though only heard in hearsay, that the PTE owes operators a sum of almost £2million dating back as far as 2016.

It's not just buses themselves that need improving though. It's the facilities, owned & operated by SYPTE/SYMCA, whatever they want to be called these days, that need improving.

Cleaner, more inviting interchanges, manned by staff that don't hide in the office behind a tannoy. They manage to do this in Doncaster, though I understand that Frenchgate Centre added to the funding however Rotherham and Sheffield Interchanges are falling apart, Sheffield mostly. 

Then there's the actual stops out on the routes. Firstly who decided to paint them midnight blue? I can see that they're incredibly hard to see for the drivers. Stops/shelters that have the ability to be illuminated have pretty much all been turn off, leaving them dark.

As for improving the buses, with newer ones, that requires money to invest. Investment money comes from profits and that seems to be a dirty word when it comes to bus users.  For example, FSY has about 480 buses. They appear to be mainly single deck ones so for arguement sakes I'm going to say they replace the entire fleet with them. The going rate is anything starting from £300,000 each so cheapest price at that figure x 480 equals £144 million. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Because they are a hard working bunch of professionals  , full of bright and brilliant ideas on how to take Sheffield forward into a great future .

We were just ready for a good laugh like that.

Don't know about vote for them,  it's a pity we can't banish them.

On 02/04/2023 at 10:28, srtaylo0 said:

This is a question I’m asking myself and I guess I ask every election. 

I have taken a look at Sheffield councils yearly plans (google it). There’s lots of great sentiment but what actual positive change has there been in the last 2 years or so ?  

I can see great plans for a nice park at the castle area of town. 

The local parks near me seem in a decent state. 
The litter bins on the roads seem to be being emptied. 

These are I guess quite small things but then I don’t really use services such as social care and social housing. So not able to comment. 

But then I look at some big ticket items. 

The city centre. In my work I visit other cities Nottingham. Manchester. Their city centres are vibrant places. Ours is well it’s grim. 

spending money wisely. 
errrmmm containers. 

Trust. 
errr trees ? 

Public Transport. 
All I hear is people saying it’s not great. On the rare occurrence I have caught a bus - on two occasions I was waiting longer than I was supposed to be. 

closing roads. 
I actually cycle little London road. I did before it had barriers. It’s quieter and nicer to cycle now but in totality is still an interesting route into the city.  
I also think if closing roads was about making positive inroads into pollution. Then my uneducated stance is that it’s made things worse. Abbeydale road is a nightmare to drive.  Journeys are slower and sitting traffic causes more pollution. The simple fact is there are too many cars on the road. I believe there needs to be carrots and sticks to make journeys more green and quicker. I only see sticks. 

like I say my view is limited - so I’d love to see some positives.  

Of course budgets are vastly limited but other cities seem to be doing better. 

what do  you think ? 

The other question could be, what would the other parties do that is any different? Why should people vote for the Lib Dems or the Green party? I get regular leaflets from the Lib Dems that don't really tell me what they will do for Sheffield or my neighbourhood. 

• Like 1

They shouldn't "vote labour".  

They should be voting for the person who they feel will best represent them in the chamber.  Just like the general election, you are voting for a person not the party.  "Labour" in itself doesn't give a fig about your 51 bus frequency or whether that community centre stays open or whether they are going to put some new bollards outside the school.

People need to look beyond simply tribal colours. They should be looking at what the candidate is offering. You could have one who is the most devoted party supporter in the world. 100% champion of the party policies but if they are a weak speaker who does nothing but uncohereant  rambling during debates, they are not going to deliver very well.  On the other hand, you could have a local candidate who is more ambivalent to rigidly sticking to party policies, but is a fantastic debater who performs coherently and gets consistently solid results delivering what's needed for their represented area.

I know which one I'd prefer representing me and care less about what colour they are wearing. 

Edited by ECCOnoob
  • Like 2