Why Should People Vote Labour In May ?

12 minutes ago, Mister Gee said:

Thirteen years of the Tories in government I’m afraid but it’s lefty propaganda if you’ve not had your medication.

https://www.channel4.com/news/pharmacies-on-brink-of-collapse-in-england

Very true,

It's so unbelievable that I wouldn't have thought any party could  make this much mess.

That's the only reason i would be prepared to give Labour another chance but,  still not under Starmer.

I think Sunak's tried harder than the others but they are too uncaring and hang onto priviledge.

Good job they don't have the French public to cope with.

On 02/04/2023 at 10:28, srtaylo0 said:

This is a question I’m asking myself and I guess I ask every election. 

I have taken a look at Sheffield councils yearly plans (google it). There’s lots of great sentiment but what actual positive change has there been in the last 2 years or so ?  

I can see great plans for a nice park at the castle area of town. 

The local parks near me seem in a decent state. 
The litter bins on the roads seem to be being emptied. 

These are I guess quite small things but then I don’t really use services such as social care and social housing. So not able to comment. 

But then I look at some big ticket items. 

The city centre. In my work I visit other cities Nottingham. Manchester. Their city centres are vibrant places. Ours is well it’s grim. 

spending money wisely. 
errrmmm containers. 

Trust. 
errr trees ? 

Public Transport. 
All I hear is people saying it’s not great. On the rare occurrence I have caught a bus - on two occasions I was waiting longer than I was supposed to be. 

closing roads. 
I actually cycle little London road. I did before it had barriers. It’s quieter and nicer to cycle now but in totality is still an interesting route into the city.  
I also think if closing roads was about making positive inroads into pollution. Then my uneducated stance is that it’s made things worse. Abbeydale road is a nightmare to drive.  Journeys are slower and sitting traffic causes more pollution. The simple fact is there are too many cars on the road. I believe there needs to be carrots and sticks to make journeys more green and quicker. I only see sticks. 

like I say my view is limited - so I’d love to see some positives.  

Of course budgets are vastly limited but other cities seem to be doing better. 

what do  you think ? 

I would not vote Labour in these Council elections. Having visited the town centre for the first time in a while I was shocked at the decline. Not all Labour's fault, but they have to take a lot of the responsibility for it.

It's gone so far I wonder if there is any way back.

It is certainly going to take some radical thinking and a new approach so it's time to give anyone other than Labour a chance. So vote tactically if possible for any party with a chance of unseating Labour.  

Otherwise I would vote for independents if they are available. These are often individuals with a lot of drive and a a will to change things. At least a decline in Labour's overall vote might send them a message that the population are not happy with them, and they are not as secure as they thought they were. They need to think again.

Edited by Anna B
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Anna B said:

. Having visited the town centre for the first time in a while I was shocked at the decline. Not all Labour's fault, but they have to take a lot of the responsibility for it.

I went a couple of weeks ago Anna.

I just couldn't believe my eyes..

There is no way back,

Shopping online, and out of town shopping complex's have put paid to that..

I do like to have a walk around Hillsboro though..

6 hours ago, Anna B said:

I would not vote Labour in these Council elections. Having visited the town centre for the first time in a while I was shocked at the decline. Not all Labour's fault, but they have to take a lot of the responsibility for it.

It is certainly going to take some radical thinking and a new approach so it's time to give anyone other than Labour a chance. So vote tactically if possible for any party with a chance of unseating Labour.  

Otherwise I would vote for independents if they are available. These are often individuals with a lot of drive and a a will to change things. At least a decline in Labour's overall vote might send them a message that the population are not happy with them, and they are not as secure as they thought they were. They need to think again.

For what?  The evolution of online and out of town shopping?  changes in global consumer habits?   dramatic shifts in the way and where people work? the collapse of massive national department or other store chains?  The presence of beggars/drunks and druggies who have been loitering on public streets since year dot?  

I really don't get what people think this magic wand is that's going to miraculously change our cities when such factors are happening and have continually happened previous across the globe.

There is always continual evolution and repurposing of our city spaces BUT it's gradual.   

As has been pointed out several times before there is already massive development projects happening right now in this city.  Buildings empty for decades are now being repurposed and reused.  New public spaces, new facilities, new venues.  Multi millions of investment but it all takes time. 

How about looking for the improvements and positives for a change.  

Be frank, whenever a council does try and do something themselves it instantly gets criticised, mocked, belittled by the local press or keyboard warriors or know it alls before it barely gets off the drawing board anyway.

The "population" is never happy.  They will always find some problem when asked.  The "population" is dumb and emotive and reactionary and unreasonable and unrealistic and ill informed. 

If a council builds something, everyone whines about the costs and makes moronic comparisons about how many nurses or school meals that would pay for......   If they don't build something, everyone whines about their city lacking behind or making comparisons with X or complaining that it's not as good the one Y has or crying that Z has something they don't....

It's not a new story. 

Out of interest, pray tell just what spectacular transformation would you want to happen in the city which is under the direct control and directly funded by your elected local council?

8 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

If Labour win again , I am seriously thinking of not bothering with local elections again .

There are many feeling like that.

The situation we have just makes people apathetic/

The voting system needs changing so every candidate has a fair chance and we can have someone who truly represents us and not the party.

Just now, Organgrinder said:

The voting system needs changing so every candidate has a fair chance and we can have someone who truly represents us and not the party.

How does the system work ?

Just now, Organgrinder said:

People have stood as independents but without the backing of main parties resources have found it very difficult.

2 hours ago, hackey lad said:

How does the system work ?

It's known as first past the post and the only way to describe it quickly ( I don't have a lot of time ) is that votes are lumped together.

We need PR which is proportional representation where seats are allotted according to how many actual votes a candidate gets.

A bit complicated but the  end result is with our system a party could get elected with a massive majority when they have only a tiny majority of votes.

This makes it much harder for independent candidates to ever get elected and means one of the main parties almost always wins.

You can get governments and councils elected even when the majority have not voted for them.